• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long term storage in safe, what do you put in the bore.

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
What do you coat your bore with for long term storage in your safe? I have been using Kroil but when I run a dry patch before going shooting they have been coming out with a hint of orange/brown on them.

KY, but it has to be the "warming" kind to help make sure the moisture stays out.

The one gun oil that I really like is often confused with the same company's very popular carbon & copper cleaner, but does an excellent job of lubing and protecting steel.

Butch's GUN OIL is great stuff. It's lightweight and does outstanding work protecting steel.
gunoil001.JPG

I am NOT talking about Butch's Bore Shine.
opplanet-butchs-gun-care-bore-shine.jpg

Researching this myself. Can we expand your question to include :

Do you use one product for the bore ?
Do you use something else for other metal ?
What about AR lowers ?

Any other steps you take to protect the items while in the safe ?

Researching this myself. Can we expand your question to include :

Do you use one product for the bore ? Hoppies #9 and Benchrest or BoreTec Eliminator then dry patch and Kroil.
Do you use something else for other metal ? Hoppies#9 to clean then Shaving Brush with KEl 132 to protect it.
What about AR lowers ? Same as above

Any other steps you take to protect the items while in the safe ?
Store everything in a Bore Store from Brownells

What do you coat your bore with for long term storage in your safe? I have been using Kroil but when I run a dry patch before going shooting they have been coming out with a hint of orange/brown on them.

Copper and carbon

Sent from my DROID RAZR

In my opinion, u shouldn't store "long term". Unless you use cosmoline or plug the chamber and fill barrel with grease, which I dont recommend. It really doesn't matter what oil you choose or how liberally you use it. Once the barrel is coated and you stand the gun in the safe, gravity pulls the oil down out of the barrel and into the chamber. So I send a swab thru the barrel with grease. But still pull my guns out every 4 to 6 weeks to re-coat the barrel and touch up the outside metal surfaces with oil. My point is that u can do everything exactly right, but "long term storage" can still be bad for anything with metal moving parts. So I get hands on with my guns fairly frequently so as to squash moisture effects before they get hold.

I use Frog Lube - the thick paste stuff. Of course, I've only been using it for a year. Before that I used RIGG (sp?) but I finally ran out and I don't think they make it anymore or it's different now. I don't think Frog Lube is going anywhere from gravity unless my safe gets really hot.

I store my rifles muzzle down if they are going into the safe long term. Stops oil contamination and protects the recoil pad.

Kroil Oil or Butch's. If you clean with Wipe Out, it is also a strong rust preventer.

RIG or CLP

Few years back, I went through a dozen blued pistols, several shotguns and a few rifles, cleaned them thoroughly, then liberally coated the metal with RIG.

The handguns then slid into silicone sack ups. The long guns were simply stood up in the safe.

14 months later the owner returned after deployment and ALL was well. NOT too bad I thought for a safe, in an unheated garage on the NJ Coast.

I used to carry an M14 in my troop car trunk in a breathable canvas, soft case. Soon after we got them rust started to be an issue. TWO things seemed to work. A liberal coating of GI CLP or the RIG grease.

I'm sold on RIG. For my safe queen pistols in the collection I use a polish that's used by Museums. Apply it once a year and it's worked out nicely. Renaissance Polish.

Kroil Oil or Butch's. If you clean with Wipe Out, it is also a strong rust
preventer.

Kroil and Wipe are bith very good products. Those and Mpro7 are the only products that I use now. Wipe out only gets used when it us time for a very good cleaning...