• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Longest gun case:Pelican 1770-true? other options?

stalski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Utah
One of my rifles is 52 inches long at its longest. It looks like the Pelican 1770 case is the only option for it.

Any other reputable gun case builders that you guys know of?

Re: Longest gun case:pelican 1770-true? other options?

SKB makes one, theres also several manufacturers out there that make custom rifle cases, its getting the right foam in the case to support the monster its what find problematic.

That 1770 is about $400. not including shipping. For about $40. I made abox of 1/2 in. plywood and put a wood cradle in it .The rifle sits upright like in a cleaning cradle and I have velcro straps to keep it in place. Styrofoam in the lid just touches the scope. No rollers and its heavy but the rifle is secure and I've got more $$ for ammo.

I saw recently someone offered a case long enough recently but CRS revents me from remembering who; IIRC it was in an ad oriented to F-class stuff
I noted this as I too have one around 52" OAL; I ended up getting a Zebco fishing rod case and it has worked creat for my uses. It has a hard surface, is zippered, and has about a 1/2" of foam padding in it.
As its not even close to being as indestuctable as a Pelican, I would not fly with it but it works well for my local travels and was much more friendly to the pocketbook.

Americase makes a couple different heavy duty, aluminum rifle cases built specifically for long-barrel rifles, including but not limited to ones with interior lengths as long as around 60". They aren't cheap by any means, but they are damned good cases and will hold up to heavy use/abuse, including international travel if necessary.

See here for more info: http://www.americase.com/catalog/

I can't recall the specific models off hand, but if you run a search of their site for "extra long" cases they should pop up easily.

Cabelas has a long case for blackpower. I think its 60".

Those 'strong' cases look nice, I like how everything is recessed. Have you ever used them before?

If you don't need a hard case, would you consider a 56" MidwayUSA drag bag?

Its a matter of what your needs are, hard case or soft. Airline travel is tough on gear even hard cases. The other problem I had heard from customers was baggage handlers stealing gun case.

For my rifle I elected a soft case, since I have no plans to travel by air with my rifle. At 50" long and weighing in at 22+ lbs, the $20 case at Kmart won't work very well. I elected to use a Eberlestock X3 Low Drag. With the X3 pack and the upper cover I can stow my rifle along with items I need to my shooting area for a match. The pack straps that Eberlestock use make it easier to carry the combined weight. Even on a practice range day, I can add my chrono and tripod . Its a different approach to a common problem and the other plus is it leaves both my hands free for other things.

This is one of the "other options" and for me works like a champ.

Why carry just one rifle when you can bring enough for everyone?

imag0004.jpg

Six rifles, room to cram in at least another six handguns, plus magazines for everything...the overweight baggage fee is going to be a bitch tho.
wink.gif

Check out the Starlight SC-081454 case. My F-Open rig is 50" long. I got real creative with the cutting and fitting of the foam and can fit:rifle, spotting scope, spotting scope stand, Sinclair gen. 2 f-class bipod, Protektor rear bag, mirage shield, score card clipboard, tools, all other misc. shooting accessories. And, I still have room left over for ~50-100 rounds of ammo. One big negative for me, with the larger Pelican case, is that it does not have a side carry handle. The Starlight does.

Some of you 'Hiders may have seen me and my case at the recently completed F-Class Nationals in Raton. It is a beast when fully loaded, almost 70 lbs.

Nice use of a surplus container, Arbiter...

I'm sure TSA will have a field day with that one coming through the airport!

Very important about the 1770: no middle carry handle. I didn't consider this when I bought it. It's almost impossible to carry it by putting your arm around the case because it's so deep and wide. I'm 6'2" and have long arms. Not fun to carry alone. Amazing quality like any pelican however.

Take a look at the Boyt hard case. The shell is every bit as good as the pelican and latches are superior, IMO. They are double rifle cases and come in 40, 48 and 52" I believe. I've air cargoed a few longer guns from Calif. To Texas with nary an issue, other than the loaded weight being over 50#s.
Skip

I'm surprised no one mentioned Starlight cases....They have one that's 54 inches long and also have a custom foam cutting service.

as mentioned the starlight S.C.-081454 is 54" long internal dimension, & I think its on sale direct for $288

Skb 50 cal case is a POS
1770 is too big and u won't be under 50#
The 54" starlight may be your friend. It barely fits my 52" rig with about 1/4" to spare in each end.

If you search here or ar15.com I have posts on all these cases

I tried contacting Starlight via email with no reply.

Are they still in business?

I was looking at getting one of their double rifle carry cases.

I'll second the STINGER case, very nice and tough.

Its funny that some folks will skimp & put a $2000 rifle & $1500 optic in a plastic 'transport' case.

REDEYE missile cases are a little shorter and don't have the lid on a piano hinge like the STINGER cases do, but, they are pretty tough too!

~Will

I'll second the STINGER case, very nice and tough.

Its funny that some folks will skimp & put a $2000 rifle & $1500 optic in a plastic 'transport' case.

REDEYE missile cases are a little shorter and don't have the lid on a piano hinge like the STINGER cases do, but, they are pretty tough too!

~Will
I haven't been able to find a stinger case available

Starlight cases are crazy tough. I had one for my TRG-42. I would certainly recommend them. Find the model you want and work your google ninja skills to find a dealer online - I found a great deal.

I think I still have a stinger case available. $100 + shipping and I'd get it headed your way.