• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Look and feel" of USMC M40

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
I've been thinking for sometime about the original mid 60's USMC M40. I know the originals are unobtanium and even the reproductions that Remington came out with a few years ago are quite expensive. But they sure are appealing.

What about starting out with a "look and feel" version based on something like this. It seems to have many of the features...matte finish, 24" heavy barrel, smooth wooden stock, BDL hinged floor plate.

Attachments

• .308 model 700.jpg
    .308 model 700.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 206
  • .308 model 700a.jpg
    .308 model 700a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 188
Looks nice. A few not too expensive upgrades would top it off nicely.
Tombstone safety
Aluminum buttplate
Correct sling swivels.

Reactions: Calfed
Thats a Remington police.

Many of the repro stocks are that exact stock modified to M40 config.

You need to round the nose of the stock - the easy part.

Than you would fit a curved 16601 butt plate - the hard part.

I fit a curved butt plate back in December and its amazing how much wood you have to remove to do it.

That is a great start to a 40 build. Go for it!

Reactions: Calfed and lash
I also say go for it if the price is good, unless you want to spend an extra $1k hunting down the old-school a BO M40 scope rail, having the receiver clip-slotted and re-finished and all that is involved. Profiling/rounding the forend and adding some old-school swivels and a green web sling would not cost too much $.

I picked up the proper buttplate for mine off ebay. As I recall it wasn’t too expensive. The problem I ran into was it is slightly smaller than the butt of the rifle. To make it fit I would have to shave down the comb, not sure I want to try that.

looks like you're on the right track! Besides the aluminum butplate and swivels, I would strip that finish and redo with BLO. The Leupold 1 piece short action bases have a square look to them, that would be a good add too. How far do you want to go down the rabbit hole is something you have to decide. I found my stock and butplate on Ebay. The swivels at Numrich gun parts... all were relatively inexpensive.

Personally, I'm a van of vintage Remingtons and that rifle has a lot of history and is unique in it's own way. Only thing I'd do is refinish the stock with BLO and maybe get a Redfield base and set of rings. Doesn't matter what kind of upgrades you do, it'll always be a 700.

Reactions: pmclaine
Personally, I'm a van of vintage Remingtons.....

Be proud, stay strong, its okay, there is nothing wrong with you other than you are realistic and can probably actually shoot anything your handed without needing to make excuses......

Im here if you need a hug Buddy.

You are not crazy nor alone......

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

My plan, If I can get the rifle for a reasonable price, would be pretty much what you all have suggested...

--refinish and reshape the stock to more closely match the M40 stock
--replace the scope mount with a Redfield Jr mount and correct rings
--find a 3-9 vintage Redfield scope
--swivels and sling.

Not sure of the cost of the Tomstone safety. Probably would not mill in a clip slot--fairly expensive I'd imagine and not very visible with the scope mounted.

What would you guys think a fair price for that Remington 700 would be, if it is in good shape bore-wise?

Anyone have an idea on what reasonable price for this 700 Police would be?

Good evening,

My humble opinion, I would leave it as is and throw a period correct optic on it. Find a Leupold MK3-4 in 10x with Mil-Dots and a original ballistic turret for it.

Give us goobers a few years and we will be cloning what you had all along?

Beautiful rifle my friend,

- Jon

Good evening,

My humble opinion, I would leave it as is and throw a period correct optic on it. Find a Leupold MK3-4 in 10x with Mil-Dots and a original ballistic turret for it.

Give us goobers a few years and we will be cloning what you had all along?

Beautiful rifle my friend,

- Jon

Thanks, Jon. I'll certainly consider what you suggest. Problem is...I really would like to have a repro M40. :D

Thanks, Jon. I'll certainly consider what you suggest. Problem is...I really would like to have a repro M40. :D

I know the itch all to well? I have killed many a fine rifle in the pursuit of another.
Find a six digit or start with a regular old SPS varmint. I would hate to see this pretty rifle get the axe.

Kind Regards,

- Jon