• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Look out Sightron: New glass for 2013: Updated-

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
New for 2013-

So I called Sightron to get about additional subtension information about their MOA-2 reticle, I ended up in conversation about a few new products. I was looking for the space between the center dot and first hash mark, which they later measured as .75MOA if anyone is curious.

I've spoke with them a few times now, very nice to deal with. It was mentioned that very shortly the following will be available (or just came out)

10-50x60 Mil Hash reticle (hopefully February)
.073 mil center dot, then .5mil followed by .25mil hash (just once) then repeating .5 mil hash marks.
* .05 mil Turrets

10-50x60 Silhouette Reticle (ready to ship or very soon)
.3 mil center dot, then .5mil followed by .25mil hash (just once) then repeating .5 mil hash marks. It's essentially the same as the mil hash version with longer, more visible hashes and a larger center dot
*.05 mil Turrets

10-50x60 LRMOA-2 (ready to ship)
They are now offering a non illuminated version that will come in roughly $300 less than the previous model. All other features will be the same

1-7 MOA4 (hopefully March/April)
-full 40,50? moa scale with illuminated center

I apologize for the not-so official information, just what I jotted down while on the phone. Some updates have been made on their website and they are aware some of it is incorrect. They just made some changes a few days ago, I'm sure more of the technical info will be up shortly (or when ready to launch).

As a fairly new fan of Sightron I'm pretty excited about some of the changes. I think the 1-7 with the new reticle will do well and offering a better Mil reticle and lower priced MOA option were good moves.

I have no idea if they will be releasing the same reticles for the 6-24 and 8-32. I have a feeling if its successful in the 10-50 it will likely be offered elsewhere.

Re: Look out Sightron: New glass for 2013

Thanks for the preview! I have hopes they have matching turrets coming for their fixed power scopes and other variables too..I guess we'll know more here after SHOT?

This is the reticle I'm expecting to see in the new 1-7. Well, an updated version as was explained to me, but similar. They are bringing to SHOT, I think it's going yo be received very well. I don't know what everyone's feelings are on their illumination system but I think the combination of great glass, magnification range and price they have going will be a home run.

fa4ecab6b7656f5dba6c1d9cbd64c8d0.jpg

As far as the silhouette and mil hash reticles I was under the impression that they would be similar to their MOA-2. I'm not for certain though. Here's a look if anyone's not already familiar with it. I think it's great that they have already started doing mil/mil, it's certainly nice that they are branching out from the standard dot reticle. From what I remember, I don't believe they even offered their Modified mil dot in their high power variables. Having 1/4 and 1/2 mil references will definitely make it more appealing.

98be187b054fa3ee20a06d5fa7d1d037.jpg

Never mind.... It's here! Website got updated

817b5eefe1b4d62f989546085ea4f45e.jpg

6cfc442833844323c0866152fc7f3494.jpg

fe8a667b00d5ee8bdf10b29b8e938d34.jpg

Here's the mil hash model with illumination and .05 mrad turrets!

09f0ea5697c6c5a91700e02b147a3d1f.jpg

efdd403017398ea5176ca880c0da8029.jpg

d470ceede050e7cd4df226236aa0a03d.jpg

And lastly, the silhouette reticle with tactical turrets. Very nice-

aa5897be0c5cb7e035ebf0cc8ecd81f0.jpg

Re: Look out Sightron: New glass for 2013: Updated-

I was hoping they'd come out with a mil reticle like that! I almost bought the moa version last week and couldn't talk myself into it, glad I waited. I sure hope they have mil turrets or it's a big fail to me.

They have .05 mil turrets. The silhouette is showing up as moa but I think it's a misprint. I'm pretty sure when I spoke with them they said both models would be mil. Mil hash is 100% though.

^^ Absolutely, I'm pretty excited about the changes as well.

So, I've noticed some of the following differences between the new moa-4 and older
moa-3 reticle:

- additional 20 moa windage marks
- additional 10 moa in elevation below center (now 40 moa)
- center illuminated dot is much larger for faster acquisition
-used to be .7 down to around .25
-New center dot starts at 10.5 moa and goes down to 1.5 on 7x

I think it's going to turn out well. Excited to see it in person.

no mention of zero stop, IMO a major blunder, sometimes I wonder do any of these companies actually use the scopes on rifles as intended, you have to be crazy to omit this feature.

Any ideas if they are going to put any of these new reticles in the 6-24 model? If they put a mil hash with .5 clicks(or even 1) in a 6-24 I want one no matter the cost.

I'm hoping the mil hash reticle will appear in the rest of the SIII line, hopefully after successful release in the 10-50. When I spoke with them they did not mention such a release.they do have a traditional mil with mil turrets in the 6-24 now; it is differentiated from the other as LRMD/cm (the cm denoting mil turrets I believe)

I just posted in the other Sightron thread in response to your question regarding low light capability.

If they offer it in others models I will likely jump on it as well-

Sightron are IMHO best value for $$ period

The glass is outstanding

i would buy a 1-7 right now if it had that reticle in it

I love me some sightrons.....

have run their s3 line on f class rigs and the s1 line on hunting rigs. Their mil dot 3-9 is the best value in a hunting scope in my opinion

i've got the 1-7x24 with the german #4,been very happy with it. the quality is definately there.

purely judging from the reticle dimensions given,the moa4 reticle should be great at 7x but the german #4 better and easier to pick up at 1x.

i'm loving me some sightron too.

Any word of them putting the mil hash in any other scopes other than the 10-50X60?
I wouldn't mind a 8-32X56, mil hash and .1 Mrad.

sightron1_zps90be580f.jpg

sightron2_zpsfe32277c.jpg

sightron3_zps274619a0.jpg

Knobs felt pretty mushy, but they are way better than those crappy capped Light Optics turrets. Unfortunately, its still SFP...

That's quite the overhaul. Looks like a little inspiration from NF on the turret texture. It's nice to see they added hard stops and a dial for llumination opposed to the digital switch.
That's disappointing to hear the turrets felt mushy...

How was the illumination brightness, the glass, eye box etc...?
The reticle looks well suited, bold and easy to pick up. Any pics with it on 7x?

Hopefully it will come in at a competitive price point-
I'm intrigued

MSRP is $899

The glass was good, and the eye box was ok. Overall, it was an ok scope, but I think they need another go-around to perfect it. The turrets were disappointing, as was the fact that is was not FFP. I would not drop $900 for it personally...

I checked out the very scopes in the pictures above. The glass was superb. I don't like the reticle due to the thick, obstructive lines, and the exit pupil and eye relief were unforgiving, in my opinion. I was really excited when they told me they had the 1-7x, and the glass didn't disappoint at all. I wish I could say the same about the optical interface with eye position, really.

They had 4 1-7x's with different turrets and illumination features, so I tested the exit and relief with each, and they were consistently unforgiving. Since they were mounted to stocks, that takes hand-held instability out of the equation, so I feel justified in my estimation of what I perceived, since i spend a lot of time with 1-nx scopes.

that's interesting about the EP. the EP on my S3 1-7x24 is actually very generous,especially considering it's a 1-7. some time back,i had a conversation on the phone with sightron and when i asked about the EP spec,they told me that originally they had planed for it to be something like 10 or 11mm at 1x(i forget the exact number he said) but that the actual EP at 1x was 13mm,..and i can tell that it's AT LEAST 13mm(i've actually measured it).

imo,an EP of 13mm at 1x on a 1-7 is very generous. there're several 1-4 scopes out there that actually go BELOW that to about 12mm. the average EP at 1x on many 1-4 is about 16mm though. for comparison,i called swfa and they told me the EP at 1x on their new 1-6 is about 12mm. the bushnell 1-6.5 is 11.4mm at 1x. the CRS 1-6 EP at 1x is also smaller than the sightron. the leupold 1-6 EP is also smaller. so again,the EP on the sightron is generous and i was happy how easy it is to use at 1x.

now,having said that,of course the EP at 7x will be smaller. at the higher mag the general rule of dividing the OB lens by the mag factor will generally be true. so 13mm at 1x and 3.43mm at 7x is very good actually. if you look through a 1-8 or 1-10,i'm sure it's much worst. in fact,there's a thread here talking about that on the march scopes.

is it possible that sightron now has the original spec on these new 1-7 and now the EP is smaller? i don't know,perhaps so,...but i can certainly say that i have no such complaints with mine.

I just order a 1-7 from Liberty Optics to go on my dad's brush gun. Sure hope it works out well!

Sightrons are great scopes. I have the 6-24 and 8-32. Both are extremely clear, and absolutely repeatable. Don't forget Sightron has its custom shop up and running now. They can do reticles, knobs, and parallax settings.

are these made in Japan?
anybody else using one yet?

Sightron has been around for a while, this thread was just supposed to be news.

Higher end scopes, SIII and SII Big Sky, are made in Japan. Rest of the line is made in the Philippines. In general they make no frills scopes with glass and adjustments that are among the best in a scope's price range.

SOG- i'm aware they have been around, i was just wondering about these new models. I messed with an sii a couple years ago that was nice, very comparable to my viper pst.