• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lookin at getting my first suppressor

Cjshooter88

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Fargo nd usa
I know verry little about suppressors, and want to buy one for my 223 sps tactical, and use it on my ruger 10/22 as well. My problem is,there,are way to many to choose from and u tube videos dont do much good for sound comparisons, could anyone help me get on track with which ones to consider and those to stay away from.

Re: Lookin at getting my first suppressor

I would advise against using a 556 can on a 10/22. 22 is filthy and will gunk up your can with lead and carbon. .22 cans are my favorite and I have a lot of them. I always say run a .22 can on a .22 and a .223/5.56 can on a .223/5.56. You really don't want to put that nasty ammo through your investment.

Good to know makes sense r some cans baffles removable for cleaning

I think some guys could get away with using a 5.56 suppressor on a .22lr.

Those guys are people who don't have a lot of time to shoot, or don't shoot high volume. Maybe they want to go out and hunt rabbits, crows or squirrels with a .22lr that isn't loud- that type of thing.

You're not going to do a lot of harm to your suppressor firing 15 rounds in an afternoon a couple times a winter for the rest of your life. And that description would be the way some people would probably use a suppressor if they had one.

That probably explains the Maxim suppressors that turn up that aren't completely filled with crap a hundred years later.

It's the brick (or multiple bricks) a weekend shooter that should consider a dedicated .22lr suppressor.

CJ,

All of the HTG cans are take apart so you can clean them. An HTG Aris or Eureka would therefore work for both of your applications: .223 and 22LR.

Having said that, the full size centerfire suppressors are heavier and larger than is required for rimfire suppression. They will work, but with the weight and diameter tradeoff.

It is typically optimum to run separate types of suppressors for rimfire and centerfire. But, if you want to get started with one suppressor, HTG makes it possible for shooters to do that with the take apart (cleanable) system in all of our suppressors.

like the others here said, if you want to do that, you will need to get a take apart .223 suppressor. if you get a sealed one and shoot high volumes of .22lr you may run into buildup issues.

that said, would people here know if "the dip" would clean out .22lr lead residue or would you need a take apart to clean?

The 22 would rarely b used w the can it would mostly be for my 223 sps tac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 22 would rarely b used w the can it would mostly be for my 223 sps tac
</div></div>

That was my point exactly. I used to be free to blast 500 rounds of .22lr a weekend, every weekend of my life. That was years ago, before I had two jobs and a life full of work.

I don't doubt there are a lot of people in that boat that could easily run a centerfire on a .22lr without feeling the consequences.

Or for that matter bolt rifle people. A federal agency one month full time sniper course firing 2500 rounds would be an incredible amount time behind the gun. So if you run a bolt gun in .22lr, and have a job, even if you shoot a lot, odds are you'll get decades of service out of a centerfire can.

It will at least get you by till you decide to buy a rimfire can.

Thats what I was thinkin which of the brands has the highest db decrease of each companies low end screw on modles I know they all claim to be the best

You run into a problem of recorded vs perceived sound reduction. I've heard several times of one suppressor that was suppose to have a higher sound reduction than another but when actually comparing the two the other one seemed to be quieter. I run an AWC raider, a buddy of mine has the Gemtech m4, and another has the HTG aris. All seem to be about the same amount of noise reduction. I would say most of it usually comes down to personal preference and price tag. My next can will most likely be titanium to shave some weight, but damn are they spendy.

Also have you ever been around a suppressed 10/22? I've had friends who went through the trouble of getting a threaded barrel for theirs only to find that it isn't that much louder unsuppressed. It really only makes sense to suppress a .22 pistol. I personally don't own a .22 can because I shoot my p22 through my 9mm can.

I do have a friend with a p22 with a gemtech can and it realy only impresses me with subsonic ammo but those rounds were so week we had to shoot a squirel 3 times to kill it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also have you ever been around a suppressed 10/22? I've had friends who went through the trouble of getting a threaded barrel for theirs only to find that it isn't that much louder unsuppressed. </div></div>

It's not a big difference... it's only 22-25DB's... haha

The difference between firing a shot and having all the game withing 150 yards spook, and firing at the same game animal twice or three times as it sits there oblivious to the fact it is being fired on.

It's a pretty major difference.

Maybe not on the range, but in the field the quiet .22lr is probably going to result in a more successful hunting experience.

The P22 has a pretty short barrel, if you like subsonic .22lr in a P22, you'll like standard velocity ammo in a 4.5" Ruger MKII. The extra 15% velocity and better accuracy you get with it will help on living targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You run into a problem of recorded vs perceived sound reduction. I've heard several times of one suppressor that was suppose to have a higher sound reduction than another but when actually comparing the two the other one seemed to be quieter. I run an AWC raider, a buddy of mine has the Gemtech m4, and another has the HTG aris. All seem to be about the same amount of noise reduction. I would say most of it usually comes down to personal preference and price tag. My next can will most likely be titanium to shave some weight, but damn are they spendy.

Also have you ever been around a suppressed 10/22? I've had friends who went through the trouble of getting a threaded barrel for theirs only to find that it isn't that much louder unsuppressed. It really only makes sense to suppress a .22 pistol. I personally don't own a .22 can because <span style="color: #FF0000">I shoot my p22 through my 9mm can. </span></div></div>

Do you remove the baffles to clean it out regularly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's not a big difference... it's only 22-25DB's... haha

The difference between firing a shot and having all the game withing 150 yards spook, and firing at the same game animal twice or three times as it sits there oblivious to the fact it is being fired on.

It's a pretty major difference.

Maybe not on the range, but in the field the quiet .22lr is probably going to result in a more successful hunting experience.

The P22 has a pretty short barrel, if you like subsonic .22lr in a P22, you'll like standard velocity ammo in a 4.5" Ruger MKII. The extra 15% velocity and better accuracy you get with it will help on living targets.
</div></div>

What are you hunting with a .22lr that you are that afraid of it taking off? Ground squirrels? Rabbits are already on the move during day hunts so a suppressor doesn't matter in that case. When you can shoot a .22lr rifle without ear plugs paying at least $400 (tax stamp included) doesn't make much sense. And from personal viewpoint they just end up staying on .22 pistols.

I agree when hunting coyotes (or larger) a suppressor makes all the sense in the world. Hell that's why I got into them, so I wasn't trying to talk to my friends really loudly and still shoot the AR without my ears ringing for a week after.

@KYS338

I can't remove the baffles, so I don't shoot it too often with the .22lr and I try to scrub it out really well afterwards. I'll give it a good inspection too before I put it back on the 9mm just to make sure.

A long winded question.
So assuming you get a 223 supressor that can be disassembled to be cleaned and you use it on a 22rm, do you loose any supression (is it louder) when using it on the rimfire or is it more dependent on the cans design?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A long winded question.
So assuming you get a 223 supressor that can be disassembled to be cleaned and you use it on a 22rm, do you loose any supression (is it louder) when using it on the rimfire or is it more dependent on the cans design?
</div></div>

The suppressor design is essentially the key here. The diameter of the bullet is nominal between the .223 and the .22lr. I'm sure if you metered it they would be the same exit hole diamater.

As everyone here said, 22 cans are lighter and made with lighter material. Rifle cans are made to withstand much more pressure internally than 22 cans.

Personally I'd do 2 cans, one for 22 and one for 5.56. I would also make sure both can's could come a part for cleaning!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting with a .22lr that you are that afraid of it taking off? Ground squirrels? Rabbits are already on the move during day hunts so a suppressor doesn't matter in that case. When you can shoot a .22lr rifle without ear plugs paying at least $400 (tax stamp included) doesn't make much sense. And from personal viewpoint they just end up staying on .22 pistols.

I agree when hunting coyotes (or larger) a suppressor makes all the sense in the world. Hell that's why I got into them, so I wasn't trying to talk to my friends really loudly and still shoot the AR without my ears ringing for a week after.

@KYS338

I can't remove the baffles, so I don't shoot it too often with the .22lr and I try to scrub it out really well afterwards. I'll give it a good inspection too before I put it back on the 9mm just to make sure. </div></div>

The .22lr is about as loud as a black cat firecracker, so I guess if you think chances hunting improve by throwing fireworks in the woods, it would make sense to imply there is no benefit from a suppressor on a .22lr.

The gun operates under 140 at the firers ear, but forward of the gun and left and right of the muzzle, noise is above 140.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a friend with a p22 with a gemtech can and it realy only impresses me with subsonic ammo but those rounds were so week we had to shoot a squirel 3 times to kill it. </div></div>

Remember. Only good hits count when it comes to killing stuff. There is nothing wrong with the ammo.

I'm looking for a can for my 300 win mag.

Can you help me out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a can for my 300 win mag.

Can you help me out there. </div></div>

SAS Titanium Arbitor. Stacey at Mile High Shooting sells them. Great can at a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a can for my 300 win mag.

It's just me, but id get one for. 338. The I like to have room above what I'm shooting. I have read on here the tbac 338 can works quite well on 300wm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a can for my 300 win mag.

It's just me, but id get one for. 338. The I like to have room above what I'm shooting. I have read on here the tbac 338 can works quite well on 300wm. </div></div>

We were considering two separate models .300 magnum and .338 magnum calibers and decided to make one model in .338LM for that reason. With wire EDM and tightly controlled tolerances we can cut the blast baffle to .368" and taper .015" to the front cap to account for factory barrel threads and the result is a bore that can easily do double duty on a .308 or .300 win mag without much handicap.

Our older 1.5" shorter and smaller ID/OD Scout did 141 on .308 20" barrels with a .375" straight bore. The .338 should be in the ballpark of 137DB on the same .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a friend with a p22 with a gemtech can and it realy only impresses me with subsonic ammo but those rounds were so week we had to shoot a squirel 3 times to kill it. </div></div>

Remember. Only good hits count when it comes to killing stuff. There is nothing wrong with the ammo. </div></div>

AGREE!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a can for my 300 win mag.

It's just me, but id get one for. 338. The I like to have room above what I'm shooting. I have read on here the tbac 338 can works quite well on 300wm. </div></div>

I agree with this as well, get the one for the 338. The diamater both of those units are drilled out to is nominal and should offer equally good results on 338 lapua as it does on .308, 300 win etc. I'd actually think that it might do a WEE bit better on a non magnum than a standard can because of the increased air space in the baffles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The .22lr is about as loud as a black cat firecracker, so I guess if you think chances hunting improve by throwing fireworks in the woods, it would make sense to imply there is no benefit from a suppressor on a .22lr.

The gun operates under 140 at the firers ear, but forward of the gun and left and right of the muzzle, noise is above 140.
</div></div>

I've just never been hunting with a .22lr where I've been worried about making noise. It's not like you're hunting deer and need to be quiet.

140 decibels on which gun, how long of barrel? Given that sound waves dissipate over distance, how far out does that stay 140 decibels? Was that measured in an enclosed building? Who in their right mind would be in front (right or left) of a gun being fired? I understand you want to sell suppressors, and that the .22lr is a big starting point for most people but from personal opinion/experience to the OP I think a 10/22 suppressed is pointless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand you want to sell suppressors, and that the .22lr is a big starting point for most people but from personal opinion/experience to the OP I think a 10/22 suppressed is pointless. </div></div>I don't want to sell suppressors. And your experience doesn't relate as it's obvious you have zero experience with a 10/22 suppressed. Maybe you should go and do next time before you talk about it like you have a clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also have you ever been around a suppressed 10/22? I've had friends who went through the trouble of getting a threaded barrel for theirs only to find that it isn't that much louder unsuppressed. It really only makes sense to suppress a .22 pistol. I personally don't own a .22 can because I shoot my p22 through my 9mm can. </div></div>After reading this, I'm convinced you've already damaged your hearing significantly. The difference suppressed/unsuppressed is astounding. If you cannot hear it your hearing must be good and trashed. Which is sad. At this point you cannot differentiate between damaging it's so loud and quiet.

On thing I will add to this is that to my understand the .22LR will and has contributed to more hearing loss in the civilian sector overall surprisingly. Why most people do not deem a .22LR to require or need hearing protection, which is obviously the wrong approach.
I have shot lots of .22LR systems both suppressed and unsuppressed and there is a big difference in the actual DB to shooters perceived suppression DB level to most all shooters which is misleading with the .22's. Simply said they work and do exactly what the can was intended to do, but if you think it's going to make your .22LR Ruger 10/22 HOLLYWOOD quiet or any others, you are again mislead. This can be achieved with really slow specialized ammo or shutting down the bolt/action blow by.
My personal opinion is that I will absolutely run a can on all my .22LR pistols due to just how effective they are and simple shooters comfort level which is outstanding. On the rifles, I will run one but not a requirement since even with Sub-Sonic ammo they can still be loud enough to me not to impress in many situations. If you run Sub-Sonic ammo in the many rifles they will still bust the sound barrier so the crack is still present. Just my honest opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ MHSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I will add to this is that to my understanding the .22LR will and has contributed to more hearing loss in the civilian sector overall surprisingly. Why most people do not deem a .22LR to require or need hearing protection, which is obviously the wrong approach. </div></div>

Second on this. I hear, regularly, "It's just a .22, I don't need hearing protection." Yeah, you do. 140 db will damage hearing, and the damage is permanent and progressive. I'm OCD about my hearing and use muffs & plugs religiously.
FWIW, my hearing's still not too good from the years before I realized I should be wearing hearing protection. But I can still appreciate the difference in my 10/22 when it's suppressed. It DOES make it quieter, even with supersonic ammo. I've also replaced the bolt stop pin with a rubber-coated one to reduce bolt noise. Simple mod, and it reduces the clanking noise transmitted through your cheekweld as the bolt cycles.
Also, I shot my .17HMR through my .223 can, before I got my .17 suppressed. It was quieter, but the thing added a pound to the end of the barrel so it was pretty muzzle-heavy. Much better with the Gemtech on it, weighs a few ounces.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to sell suppressors. And your experience doesn't relate as it's obvious you have zero experience with a 10/22 suppressed. Maybe you should go and do next time before you talk about it like you have a clue.

After reading this, I'm convinced you've already damaged your hearing significantly. The difference suppressed/unsuppressed is astounding. If you cannot hear it your hearing must be good and trashed. Which is sad. At this point you cannot differentiate between damaging it's so loud and quiet. </div></div>

Thanks for the worthwhile criticism; I'm glad you know my experiences better than I do. I will learn to keep my opinions to myself as it appears they are not welcome in this part of town.

Wow talk about opening a stinky can of worms that topic sure stirred up some debate. I always love the yaywhos who say if u just make good shots any bullet will kill anything. The truth is ur not always given the best shot in ideal conditions some times u miss or hit the animal in a bad spot it happens to the best of us. Thats y I think overkill is truely underated by some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always love the yaywhos who say if u just make good shots any bullet will kill anything. The truth is ur not always given the best shot in ideal conditions some times u miss or hit the animal in a bad spot it happens to the best of us. Thats y I think overkill is truely underated by some. </div></div>

That doesn't stop "wildlife conservation officers" from using suppressed .22lr firearms to kill hundreds of deer for their studies.

I don't think people should tempt fate either though, so I lean to your side of the argument.

go with a tac 16 it is self serviceable, but I wouldn't recommend a .223 can on a .22 spend the extra cash and get 2. JMHO

Gemtech officially supports using a .223 can on .22lr:

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=7

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I shoot .22LR or other rimfire calibers through my 5.56mm suppressor?

Yes, any of our 5.56mm suppressor can be used on .22LR weapons, including AR-15 type rifles using Ceiner or other brand conversion kits. </div></div>