• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking a Good Heavier Range Hand gun

mesposi7

Reaper7
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2022
Florida
I’ve been running my Glock 45, I love it. But I would like something with more weight.

Have been looking at an HK VP9 or a Springfield Ronin 1911. (I’m aware these are two very different types and categories)

Are there other options I should consider and try out first?

9mm 1911 makes a great range gun but I personally wouldn’t buy that one. I’d look for a lightly used DW for $1500 or so and have a whole hell of a lot better gun.

Another solid option is the CZ’s. The shadow 2 blues can be found under $1200 and are incredible target pistols. Also available with an optics cut which I would get even if you don’t plan on putting an RDS on it right away, because you’ll probably want to.

You could also just get a long slide Glock 9mm or get a long slide for your Glock.

LTT Elite full-sized purchased from Langton Tactical directly with your chosen options. Just racking the slide is a treat in itself and there's lots of aftermarket parts. Not too heavy either so it can be multi-use. CZ Shadow 2 is amazingly flat shooting but is definitely a range tool only with that trigger and extra weight.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
LTT Elite is certainly tough to beat. On my list would also be the all-steel EAA/Tanfoglio 9mm, the Springfield Prodigy 2011 (Stacatto At Home), and the SAO Sig 226.

I have none of the above although I did buy-shoot-sell a full sized Kimber and RIA/Armscor in 9mm. I personally find the thicker double stack grip of the 2011 to be superior and they’re very geared toward optics and adding weight as a rule. I ended up with a 17L frankengun because I liked using my G17 mags and holsters.

I did have a Deagle and can confirm that the .357 version with the modded springs for .38SPL has no recoil to speak of, but you’ll need rock climber forearms to run through more than a couple boxes.

Reactions: 99mpower
Sig p226 SSE- Stainless Steel Elite. Preferably with the LDC/Long Dust Cover.

Random web pic:
VI5o8vW.jpg

Last edited:
The Desert Eagle or HK Mk23 are about the same weight & profile. The Eagle's gas-operating system is really smooth, little felt recoil with its weight.
IMG_3653HK MARK 23 ARRIVES 07.16.22 redacted serial number copy.jpg
IMG_3657HK MARK 23 ARRIVES 07.16.22 copy 2.jpg

What’s your budget? That will help with recommendations. Also, is there a certain kind of action you prefer (single, da/sa, dao, striker)?

My favorite range pistols to shoot are 1911s, but I carry a Glock 19, so I shoot it the most often just for the sake of practice. Last weekend, I rented a CZ P-01. I had never shot a CZ before, and now I’m planning on buying one for myself and one as a gift for my dad. Except for the weight, the dimensions are similar to a Glock 19, but it feels more substanstial and is a softer shooter. You might be interested in a larger pistol, though.

In case you are unfamiliar with it, Handgun Hero is pretty handy for comparing pistol specs side-by-side.

The Desert Eagle or HK Mk23 are about the same weight & profile. The Eagle's gas-operating system is really smooth, little felt recoil with its weight.
View attachment 8136259View attachment 8136260
Did you get a limited edition Mk23 with a steel frame? Cuz the Mk23 i know is 45oz loaded (2.8lb) and the Desert Eagle is 68oz loaded (4.25lb) and the extra pound and a half makes a big difference in a handgun.

I agree theyre not uncontrollable even with the full house magnums, but they’re hefty even before you add an optic (which you should)

Canik Rival S which is the heavier steel version. That'd do the trick.

I prefer the standard Rival because I'm not looking for a heavy 9mm because I want faster transitions on steel and because I'm getting older and weaker. I like this gun a lot. It has a very short reset so its easier to get fast splits with.
Only costs about $600 too.

Fastest I've been able to get is 2.1 seconds for six 14" steel plates at 8 yards from low ready which is the fun game my friends and I have been playing.
Doing that same game with a 22 pistol I can get 1.78 seconds so as you can see this Canik 9mm isn't much slower.
I bet a pro could do this game at least a half send faster!

Although I haven't tried it if I were shooting a 45 ACP 1911 with major PF loads it'd probably take me almost 3 seconds to shoot this game. Why is its hard for me to tame that muzzle flip compared to the lighter loads I use.

I've had a STI 2011 in 40 cal for 25 years and its getting a bit heavy for me. Also my hand is smaller and the grip feels big with my thumb on top of the safety.
Honestly my daughter's Sig P365's 9mm grip is so small it feels great in my hand and I don't find the recoil obnoxious at all. I can shoot it fast solely because I can hold the grip well.
It'd be so cool to have a P365 custom with an efficient muzzle break and reflex sight!

Both of these guns with light loads when using lighter weight recoil springs are wonderful to play with!
I've gotten the 2011 down to 115 power factor with 155 lead bullets which is super fun to go fast with on a plate rack.
Back when I won the B stock division of the American Handgunner World Shootoff I used a 125PF load with 155's in a STI 2011. I found it a very soft shooting gun and load.

Did you get a limited edition Mk23 with a steel frame?
The SOCOM Mark 23' were first released in 1996. This one is a 1998 mfg "K" code date with Maritime glossy finish. From 1996-98 the Mk23's had 4 digit serial #'s.The limited editions came out many years later.

I second CZ Shadow II. PSA has them on sale right now under $1k.
Beat me to it. I once tried a CZ in .45 ACP. Nice.

My EDC is S&W M&P 9mm but I still appreciate fine craftsmanship in other items.

+1 for CZ, Especially the 75 TS2 - it's heavy, SAO, 20 rd factory mags, great range pistol

Also, don't over look the Sig 320 X5 Legion BUT only with the tungsten infused grip and 21 rd factory mags, again great for range fun

Another vote for the CZ Shadow 2. Just picked up my second one, SA only. They shoot fantastic, 17rd factory mag, can get 19 round mags from mec-gar. Palmetto State has the SA variant on sale at $999, that's why I picked one up. If your budget allows for it and you can find one I'd also suggest the Dan Wesson DWX.

This caught my eye a little while ago. Would be a little upgrade from my taurus 92.

The 92x performance is a 115 ball tack driver, and the Shadow 2 is no joke out of the box bad ass production pistol, the Stock 2 is a CZ knock off that will also give the CZ a run for the money, thats it for the 9mm world, if 45 is your only thing, look at DW single stack 1911 or look for a used STI 2011, changing the plastic grip out for a drop in metal version is another 700 bucks, Sig 220 is another 45 choice as well, Basically anything but a STI that has plastic grips is out, good luck with your decision.

OP - Are you planning on putting a RDS on the gun, that will give us a bit more guidance for recommendations with irons or an optic plate.

Reactions: mesposi7
First thing I thought of when I read you post was CZ Shadow 2. Apparently I'm not the only one.

If you're looking at HK's and you have the budget, I'd look at the USP45 Elite. Pretty heavy, very accurate, fairly soft shooting. And it's an HK so reliability will be excellent. You could also try to find one in 9mm, but they are hard to find and will cost close to twice what you can get the USP45 for. The Mark 23 is nice, but really big and not that heavy (for its size). And again you're looking at $2,000+ for one of those.

Another vote for the CZ Shadow 2. Just picked up my second one, SA only. They shoot fantastic, 17rd factory mag, can get 19 round mags from mec-gar. Palmetto State has the SA variant on sale at $999, that's why I picked one up. If your budget allows for it and you can find one I'd also suggest the Dan Wesson DWX.
Pick mine up from my local FFL tomorrow. Showed up in less then a week

The Springfield Prodigy crossed my feed again this morning, the AOS cut from factory is nice and the price is solid compared to the Stacatto et al

A VP9 is only 1 oz heavier than a Glock 45 (without loaded mag) - so you aren't going to really be gaining much in the weight metric with a VP9.

If you really want a handgun that has more weight, then purchase one that ticks all the boxes for you but with a full metal frame. If weight is your only real criteria, there's A LOT of options for you to sort through. From old school six shooter revolvers, to Desert Eagles.

I think a 1911 is like a precision .308 - everyone should have one. I love my DW Valor 1911. But you need to sort out what you want in a pistol, beyond weight.

Yeah, at $1,000 that Shadow 2 is VERY tempting. You not only get a gun that has the weight you're looking for, but also has a great trigger and, because of the way the slide is fit into the frame, is very fast back on target.

LTT Elite is certainly tough to beat. On my list would also be the all-steel EAA/Tanfoglio 9mm, the Springfield Prodigy 2011 (Stacatto At Home), and the SAO Sig 226.

I have none of the above although I did buy-shoot-sell a full sized Kimber and RIA/Armscor in 9mm. I personally find the thicker double stack grip of the 2011 to be superior and they’re very geared toward optics and adding weight as a rule. I ended up with a 17L frankengun because I liked using my G17 mags and holsters.

I did have a Deagle and can confirm that the .357 version with the modded springs for .38SPL has no recoil to speak of, but you’ll need rock climber forearms to run through more than a couple boxes.

Its funny, I have most of those guns.. haha

Tanfoglio (x2 for shooting Production USPSA)
Beretta 92FS with a bunch of LTT stuff
Sig Legion P226

Huge fan of the CZs and Tanfoglios for heavier range guns, and tons of aftermarket support

Watched a few videos of the Staccato line up. Perhaps a bit heavier than a Glock and seem to get great reviews. Any feedback on those?