• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes looking at a sightron siii 10-50x60, any reason not to get it ($1k budget)

AZIROC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Avondale, AZ
Scope would be for a 308 BR/precision rig. Biggest thing is budget. Also looking for more magnification. I've looked through the nightforce scopes (BR, nxs and competition) and the sightron 8-32 and 10-50 and SHOT. The night forces did seem "beefier" the. The sightron but to me the glass was pretty much the same. *this was inside a giant building so maybe natural light would have yielded something different.

Anywho, would the sightron be gtg or is there anything else out there I'm missing out on? Budget is 1000, can't really go much past that.

I also was on a 1000 dollar budget, and ended up buying the sightron 8x32. I don't think it can be beat at the price point. As good, if not better glass than the nxs. Tracks great! It's also pretty easy to add the zero stop as well. I say go for it.

Scope would be for a 308 BR/precision rig. Biggest thing is budget. Also looking for more magnification. I've looked through the nightforce scopes (BR, nxs and competition) and the sightron 8-32 and 10-50 and SHOT. The night forces did seem "beefier" the. The sightron but to me the glass was pretty much the same. *this was inside a giant building so maybe natural light would have yielded something different.

Anywho, would the sightron be gtg or is there anything else out there I'm missing out on? Budget is 1000, can't really go much past that.

I'm looking at the exact scope as one of my choices along with 2 others. All I can say is think of what you want to accomplish and choose accordingly.
Good luck and I will be watching this thread.

I have the Sightron 8-32x56 LRMDCM and I love it.

Good: Glass is excellent, even up into higher mag. Tracking and return to zero are great. Turret response is very good, especially the tactile "click" (since I'm usually on the firing line and other rifles are going off, I can feel the click far better than I can hear them, but the click is still audible when I'm away from the line). Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA turrets. Turrets are .1 Mil or 1/4 MOA, unless you're getting the 10-50, in which case you can get 0.05 Mil or 1.8 MOA.

Bad: No zero stop (well, none from the company). Limited FFP offerings (only 6-24x50). The stock flip-up lens covers are crap, as in the front fell off due to recoil on my second trip to the range after mounting the gun and the rear cap broke (the little pin that holds the flip-up cap to the rubber cover somehow came out) on the third trip. Limited reticle options; you're pretty much getting a simple crosshair, an MOA crosshair, or a Mil-dot crosshair. Limited illuminated reticle options, meaning unless you want a 10-50x60, you aren't getting an iluminated reticle in anything other than MOA.

In my opinion, the good far outweighs the bad, considering it's a sub-$1k scope. If you're looking at FFP, then they're priced about the same as a Vortex 6-24 FFP, but you'll be trading off some frills ("zero-stop" shim which I'm pretty sure you can do to the Sightron if you're so inclined, illuminated reticle in Mil, reticle options) in favor of getting better glass. If you're law enforcement or military, Sightron gives you a pretty good discount. My 8-32x56 LRMDCM was under $700 shipped after the discount. Sightron now has a Custom Shop, where you can change your reticle, turrets, and parallax. For the money, I couldn't be happier with my scope and I would recommend Sightron to anyone.

Last edited:
I hear they have amazing glass for the price. I looked into them but I didn't care for reticle options.

Yes they say lifetime warranty but if you ever use it the will say no dice.
Leopold or NF for me.
Just my $.02 worth .

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

ive never heard this before. any examples online?

What he's probably referring to is that Sightron has an in-house testing lab. According to internet lore, Sightron tests every returned optic and ships 90% of them back without having to make any repairs. The problems the owner is encountering can often be traced back to something the owner did, such as improper mounting, and not a defective scope. By most accounts, Sightron's customer service is very good and if you have a legitimate issue with the scope, they'll fix it. To me, it looks like they're trying to prevent people from beating up on scopes, then returning them for new ones that they can sell to upgrade to a different scope, which I can't say I fault Sightron for.

Very first post in this thread

Wow. That's kinda crazy but I can see sightron side of it as well. Alot of people out there were damage something that's totally fine just to get it replaced with a new version then sell it as new.

I'm still torn though it I was moa fine crosshairs. Part of me wants the simplicity of the fine cross hairs the other part of me says the moa reticle could be handy if I start going to 800+ yard shots

I have used their service on a brand new S-Tac that I bought.
It failed tracking on the very first trip to the range.
I contacted them, they told me to send it in with a description of the problem.
According to the sheet, they made some type of repair, though they didn't specify, cleaned the lenses, returned the reticle to mechanical zero and sent it back.

The ONLY thing that I did not like about the service was having to pay shipping to return it to them.
Other than that, I was pleased with the experience.
Scope has been spot on since and I am very pleased with it.

I hade an older model of this scope. It came on a 6br rifle. I sold it because it was a bit large...but I regret it--sort of. If they could put a zero stop on their scopes.................but it was good glass for shooting groups on paper at long distance from a good support.

I have used their service on a brand new S-Tac that I bought.
It failed tracking on the very first trip to the range.
I contacted them, they told me to send it in with a description of the problem.
According to the sheet, they made some type of repair, though they didn't specify, cleaned the lenses, returned the reticle to mechanical zero and sent it back.

The ONLY thing that I did not like about the service was having to pay shipping to return it to them.
Other than that, I was pleased with the experience.
Scope has been spot on since and I am very pleased with it.

I meant to ask you about the S-Tac. I read your review on it and I had a few questions, so PM sent

Ended up going with the sightron. Shipped out today. I don't see many reviews out there so after I get it and set up I may do a full review. It also being phoenix in summer it prob won't t realistically be till October.

Now to decide by tonight if I want to go with the high speed match or sd-e.

Got the scope today. SIII 10-50x60 LR MOA-2. Since I dont see to many reviews I may do 1. Just may not be till Oct when Phoenix cools off a bit.

16018_10152294433057887_3612156432494669101_n.jpg

excellent scopes and they have a custom shop as well in the states for turrets, reticles, and paralax. they are going to be very hard to beat in the 1k price range. i have owned 4 of them.

Yeah, I'm going to zero it sunday. Prob finish a few work ups I've been sitting on. Then send it back to change out to 1/8 turrets.

i have their 6-24 mil hash ffp version and i love. I highly reccomend it and most people who sit behind it have also been pleasantly surprised

I've had the 6-24x50 SFP mildot for over a year. Optics are excellent and tracking is excellent. Haven't tried their warranty and hope I never need to.