• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at a Tikka CTR 223 but wondering if it is too limiting because cannot fire 556

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
Is the Tikka in 223 too limiting since it cannot handle 5.56x45 NATO ?

Last edited:
Can't because of pressure? It's an action that handles 300 win mag with a different bolt face.

Can't because of throat and lead? That will matter more on bullet choice. I'm pretty sure I've heard that tikkas are throated long vs others. That might be more on other calibers though. I don't know myself. Hopefully others that have them chime in.
chamber-stuff-72.jpg

Most .223 chambers will fit most 5.56 cartridges, excluding those cases near the limits of 5.56 tolerance. There will be some 5.56 cases that won’t fit in .223 chambers. With that said though, only match 5.56 is worth shooting in a bolt gun and .223 is way more readily available and is a better fit for precision shooting. If you have an issue shooting 5.56 you can team the chamber, but I wouldn’t. .223 is a better chamber for precision than 5.56 if that is the goal.

5.56 has higher pressure that is measured differently than .223. It’s almost a meaningless point of discussion. There is zero difference in barrel construction. The same barrel dimension that shoots .223 on a Tikka is also the same profile that’s punched out for .300WinMag. Everything is the same except the machining f the bolt.

Reactions: lash
If you wanna shoot 556 NATO ammo just get the throat extended. I doubt that ammo will have the accuracy of some of the better 223 ammo.

I've shot thousands of 556NATO ammo in two T3s and a Sako 75. No problems at all.

Is the Tikka in 223 too limiting since it cannot handle 5.56x45 NATO ?
European 223 ammo (made to CIP specs) has the same chamber pressure as 5.56X45 NATO.

I'd shoot a metric fuckton of 5.56 through any European 223 Remington rifle without a worry.

I'd have absolutely zero concern about firing 5.56 NATO in a full-size bolt gun.

My bigger concern would be whether the throat and twist rate are appropriate for heavy bullets. 1:8" is workable.