• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for .223 barrel info

HammerForged

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2019
Henderson, NV
Is there any good info out there on optimal length for a .223 bolt gun barrel?

I am thinking of the type of info that Vudoo put out on their tests where they started with a long barrel and kept hacking off 1" at a time to see where performance or speed dropped off.

I don't want to get a longer barrel than I need, but I don't want to go so short that I lose performance.

I am also interested in everyone's input on the best barrel profiles. It's a trainer rifle. Think mostly bench and prone use. I do want to move it around without a forklift, but I want it solidly on target after I shoot so I can learn to see my hits.

There are a ton of tests on this around the internet. In the lengths you're likely to actually use(say 20”-24”), the velocity loss per inch is pretty linear at 25-30 fps per inch. If its a actual trainer, and you have a big boy rifle for comps etc, just match the big boy rifle.

Contour will depend on how the rifle specs out. Your chassis/stock choice will likely narrow you down to a group of contours. There’s no best contour, mostly its just individual preference.

Reactions: HammerForged