• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a .308 Draganov/ PSL/ TIGR

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone know where I can find a PSL / TIGR/ Draganov in .308 for around $2000 or below?

I found quite a few PSL's on Gunbroker.com well below $2k.

Finding one in .308 Win is the hiccup with what I see on GunBroker. Nearly all of them are 7.62x54 and NOT .308 which is a tough cookie to find (even before the current spike in demand/prices) and the ones that are generally command a HIGH premium these days. If you can live with the cheaper 7.62x54R, then there are oodles of the Romaks, PSLs, etc. to be had for well under $2k.

Then there is always a hack-job like making a "Saiganov" made from a .308 Saiga, some surplus parts and a little elbow grease. ;) Should be do-able for WAY less than $2k.

For what its worth, a PSL and a Draganov/TIGR are VERY different. The gas system is a whole other animal. I would be amazed if you could find a real draganov/TIGR for less than 3k and likely more. If you want more info check this out. Its lenghty but very informative. It changed my opinion on Draganov as a precision platform. (not that I could afford a real one mind you)

Not trying to be a jerk, just let you know what your getting.

Dragunov vs. PSL The Truth !!! .MOV - YouTube

The Dragunov is a first class weapon when used within the parameters it was designed for. It was designed to extend the range for the rifle squad, NOT as what we know of as a precision rifle...more of a designated marksman system. The Tigr is the short model Dragunov. The PSL/Cugir is the Romanian version designated marksman rifle, and is significantly different than the dragunov in many important areas. There is also a Chinese NDM (I think that is the designation) that is very close to the dragunov and is made in both 308 and 7.62x54R.

The yugoslavian M76 is another Eastern block designated marksman rifle, and has a milled receiver, is in 8mm Mauser, ans has an adjustable gas system.

All the countries know how to build precision rifles, but this group of rifles were never intended to be true precision rifles as we think of them. They are very capable rifles when used within their design parameters. Some shoot VERY well when you can acquire the hard to find precision ammo for them. The right ammo makes the same difference we find between something like Portugese ball ammo and any of the high end 7.62x51 match ammo we get such great groups with.

now if I did get one in 7.62x 54 how hard would it be to find ammo?

x54 ammo is much easier to find, the market is so saturated with surplus even the ammo grabbers are having a hard time bleeding it dry. 7N1 is a bit harder to find but can be found.

I had the NDM in 308. Loved that rifle. Wish I never had to sell it....Problem with the NDM in 308 is that you will be limited on Magazines. There were not a lot of extra magazines brought in. So unless you get the rifle with quite a few mags, be ready to accept the fact you will probably only have 3 at most, unless you come across a deal that includes more then what the rifle originally came with.

Then there is always a hack-job like making a "Saiganov" made from a .308 Saiga, some surplus parts and a little elbow grease. ;) Should be do-able for WAY less than $2k.

As someone who went down that road ... I can't recommend it. :D

As someone who went down that road ... I can't recommend it. :D

I didn't say it was a GOOD idea...just a hack-job that could be done for <$2k! ;)

That said...they are pretty awful (at least the one that I laid hands on a while back).

quite a few have bought the x54r Vepr to achieve that very same goal. I went with the Super .308 instead. I dont think I would make such a drastic change in the stock though.

TIGRs and Dragunovs are not likley for even close to that price. Im not an expert but the only PSLs I have seen are chambered in 7.63x54. If you want a decent russian gun in .308 without breaking the bank, get a VEPR .308. They are less than a grand and Ironwood Designs makes nice stocks to dress them up to look like dragunovs. Just look for them on gunbroker or wherever.

I had an NDM86, sold it a couple of years ago. I never really liked it, it shot bug holes up to three shots then the barrel heats up and patterns like a shotgun and recoil was super snappy too. It was very light weight and about all I liked about it. For the money I sold it for, I bought a very nice AR10 and never looked back

TIGRs and Dragunovs are not likley for even close to that price. Im not an expert but the only PSLs I have seen are chambered in 7.63x54. If you want a decent russian gun in .308 without breaking the bank, get a VEPR .308. They are less than a grand and Ironwood Designs makes nice stocks to dress them up to look like dragunovs. Just look for them on gunbroker or wherever.

those are designed for the x54r, I am not sure they would fit the .308

I didn't say it was a GOOD idea...just a hack-job that could be done for <$2k! ;)

That said...they are pretty awful (at least the one that I laid hands on a while back).

LOL. :D

That thing drove me nuts. I'd fire ten rounds of my best handload for the rifle from a full rest and I'd find five within a 1' group, seven within 1.5", and all ten running out to 3" or so. The scattered rounds didn't come at the end (heat) but rather could be anywhere in the string. It shot those five so tightly I kept at it because I thought I'd find the magic node, or magic brake, or magic bullet. Damn near drove me crazy. :D

A local FFL has a NDM-86 308 for about $2800 I think, PM me if you want their info. I will double check the price asap. If you are set on getting one of these the NDM-86 is one of the best IMHO.

Speaking of "good" 7.62 x54R ammo, there is some "Great" stuff made by a company in Finland, I think their name is Lapua.

I was digging through a barrel of aks at a gun store once. It was the $100/$200 barrel o crap. Whipped out one of the few real Russian dragunovs with optic. I had the hardest gun deal erection of my life as I flipped over the price tag. $4999. Damn!