• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a better hunting scope for my rifle

LReece

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina
As the title says I'm starting to research to find a scope that is a better fit for me than what's currently on my rifle (Vortex Diamondback tactical FFP).
  • What is the platform for the scope? Ruger American Go Wild in 6.5C. Plan on something better in a couple of years and possibly a different caliber, .30-06, .300 win mag, or something else
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 creedmoor
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Whitetail deer, coyotes, ground hogs, etc.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Both daylight and low light situations.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? typically between 50 to 250 yards. Have options for up to 400 yards, but would only consider that on a ground hog or coyote.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? MOA reticle
  • What is the price range you can afford? $900 to about $1300
As many can imagine the limiting factor me with my current scope is Chinese glass. It just doesn't work well in the last 20 minutes of shooting light. Currently I've been looking at the following:

Vortex Razor HD LHT

Bushnell Elite Tactical

Athlon Cronus

Trijicon Credo HX

Vortex Viper PST Gen2

Leupold VX-5HD

Primary Arms GLX Series

I’m still sorting out what I think some of my needs are. At the moment I would like to have a minimum maginification of 4x and possibly a max around 20x with a 50mm objective. I don’t think I will be dialing shots at different ranges so I would prefer to have a reticle setup with holdovers in MOA. I could go either way on FFP or SFP, but would probably lean more towards FFP. I’m not sure that I need locking turrets or zero stops or other features like that.

Based on some other threads that I’ve read I’m open to buying a better quality scope that’s used and in my budget vs a lower quality new one. I’ve been keeping an eye out in PX but I’m out of my element and knowledge in what brands and models to look for. So in I’m looking for real world experiences the scopes on my current short list and opinions on what should be on that list as well.

LR

Grab a new Vortex LHT with free rings or an open box model here!

Reactions: LReece
LHT is a great optic but doesn’t have a great FOV compared to similar optics. I liked mine a lot other than that.

Bushnell elite is very heavy for a hunting rifle unless you want to try to track down a 3-12LRHS. They’re pretty awesome but hard to come by. 4.5-18 has a pretty crappy eyebox.

Cronus is heavy.

Trijicon is one of the best of your list but I’d recommend the non HX and getting an MRAD version. MRAD mo betta.

PST’s are unreliable.

VX5HD’s are probably the best of your list. The 3-15 is excellent.

Primary GLX is Phillipino shit like the PST, IMO no more reliable than Chinesium, and their reticles are stupid.

If it were me I’d get a Swaro Z3 3-10 BRH. It’s perfect for what you’re doing.

As the title says I'm starting to research to find a scope that is a better fit for me than what's currently on my rifle (Vortex Diamondback tactical FFP).
  • What is the platform for the scope? Ruger American Go Wild in 6.5C. Plan on something better in a couple of years and possibly a different caliber, .30-06, .300 win mag, or something else
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 creedmoor
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Whitetail deer, coyotes, ground hogs, etc.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Both daylight and low light situations.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? typically between 50 to 250 yards. Have options for up to 400 yards, but would only consider that on a ground hog or coyote.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? MOA reticle
  • What is the price range you can afford? $900 to about $1300
As many can imagine the limiting factor me with my current scope is Chinese glass. It just doesn't work well in the last 20 minutes of shooting light. Currently I've been looking at the following:

Vortex Razor HD LHT

Bushnell Elite Tactical

Athlon Cronus

Trijicon Credo HX

Vortex Viper PST Gen2

Leupold VX-5HD

Primary Arms GLX Series

I’m still sorting out what I think some of my needs are. At the moment I would like to have a minimum maginification of 4x and possibly a max around 20x with a 50mm objective. I don’t think I will be dialing shots at different ranges so I would prefer to have a reticle setup with holdovers in MOA. I could go either way on FFP or SFP, but would probably lean more towards FFP. I’m not sure that I need locking turrets or zero stops or other features like that.

Based on some other threads that I’ve read I’m open to buying a better quality scope that’s used and in my budget vs a lower quality new one. I’ve been keeping an eye out in PX but I’m out of my element and knowledge in what brands and models to look for. So in I’m looking for real world experiences the scopes on my current short list and opinions on what should be on that list as well.

LR
VX5 HD 4-20x52 with firedot is a better quality scope with better glass than the Vortex Razor LHTs. It's for dialing though and you get a free custom dial based on your cartridge load and weight through Leupold. Illuminated center dot is daylight bright.

DVOR had them on sale for cheap just recently but not sure if their sale expired yet since they only run for a week at a time.

Scopelist prices can be negotiable over the phone too in many cases.
Slightly more than your $1300 budget at $1499.99 for a $400 off DEMO but won't hurt to call them to see if they can do even better on that price.

"Like New Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52 (34mm) CDS-ZL2 Side Illum. FireDot Duplex Riflescope 178166 For Sale | SHIPS FREE" https://www.scopelist.com/Like-New-...-ZL2-Side-Illum-FireDot-Duplex-Riflescop.aspx

Meopta Optika 5 4-20x50 Illuminated RD Z Plus reticle is another good choice and much cheaper with better glass quality than the Razor LHT and comparable to the VX5 HD. It doesn't have a zero stop but has the reticle you prefer for holdover instead of dialing. Illuminated center dot is somewhat daylight bright not as bright as the Leupold though. Light gathering is very good to excellent for dusk and dawn shooting. Don't knock it's relatively cheap price. The image quality on this one is simply outstanding and is this scope's specific strong point is it's glass and low light capabilities. Night and day difference compared to your Vortex Diamondback Tactical. This cheaper Optika 5 is just as clear if not clearer than the more expensive Optika 6 5-30x56 (on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic) and 4.5-27x50 (on sale for $674.97 at Sportsman's) believe it or not but these are MRAD scopes not MOA you want and do not have a 4x minimum magnification. If you can deal with MRAD then the 4.5-27x50 illuminated RD MRAD1 at Sportsman's is very easy to see the center of the reticle on it's lowest 4.5x magnification perfect for hunting situations using a FFP reticle that you already know how impossible they are to use on their lowest magnification for hunting with.

"Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 Z-Plus Riflescope" https://www.bearbasin.net/product-p/meo1032581.htm

The other choices listed are really heavy for hunting.

I do like the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 though but it's 35-36oz however I really think their Chinese made Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 is a much better buy at it's current $565.49 sale price at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 90 days and they're 27oz and is far better than the Vortex Diamondback Tactical and Strike Eagle and Viper PST Gen 2.

The Primary Arms GLx's disappointing performance for the price they charge. I'm fact I was looking forward to buying them to compare to the Athlon Ares BTR G2 and the resident SH review tester told stated that they aren't as clear as the Athlon Ares BTR G2. I wouldn't ever recommend buying them at their normal $869.99 street price though since they're still made in China but $300 off makes them worth buying and you can even return it to your local Walmart within 90 days if you aren't 100% happy it.

Buy several to compare and choose the one that best suits your specific hunting needs. This way you'll never second guess your purchase decision if you could have done better for way cheaper.

Last edited:
LHT is a great optic but doesn’t have a great FOV compared to similar optics. I liked mine a lot other than that.

Bushnell elite is very heavy for a hunting rifle unless you want to try to track down a 3-12LRHS. They’re pretty awesome but hard to come by. 4.5-18 has a pretty crappy eyebox.

Cronus is heavy.

Trijicon is one of the best of your list but I’d recommend the non HX and getting an MRAD version. MRAD mo betta.

PST’s are unreliable.

VX5HD’s are probably the best of your list. The 3-15 is excellent.

Primary GLX is Phillipino shit like the PST, IMO no more reliable than Chinesium, and their reticles are stupid.

If it were me I’d get a Swaro Z3 3-10 BRH. It’s perfect for what you’re doing.
I'll take a look at the Swarovski scopes and add them to my list of options. Weight is somewhat of a concern, thankfully I'm not having to do a lot of hiking to my different stand locations, but I do need to start paying more attention that particular piece of information than I have in the past.

For me MOA just seems easier, but if it comes down to the scope being everything I want and it only comes in MRAD I'll make the switch.

LR

VX5 HD 4-20x52 with firedot is a better quality scope with better glass than the Vortex Razor LHTs. It's for dialing though and you get a free custom dial based on your cartridge load and weight through Leupold. Illuminated center dot is daylight bright.

DVOR had them on sale for cheap just recently but not sure if their sale expired yet since they only run for a week at a time.

Scopelist prices can be negotiable over the phone too in many cases.
Slightly more than your $1300 budget at $1499.99 for a $400 off DEMO but won't hurt to call them to see if they can do even better on that price.

"Like New Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52 (34mm) CDS-ZL2 Side Illum. FireDot Duplex Riflescope 178166 For Sale | SHIPS FREE" https://www.scopelist.com/Like-New-...-ZL2-Side-Illum-FireDot-Duplex-Riflescop.aspx

Meopta Optika 5 4-20x50 Illuminated RD Z Plus reticle is another good choice and much cheaper with better glass quality than the Razor LHT and comparable to the VX5 HD. It doesn't have a zero stop but has the reticle you prefer for holdover instead of dialing. Illuminated center dot is somewhat daylight bright not as bright as the Leupold though. Light gathering is very good to excellent for dusk and dawn shooting. Don't knock it's relatively cheap price. The image quality on this one is simply outstanding and is this scope's specific strong point is it's glass and low light capabilities. Night and day difference compared to your Vortex Diamondback Tactical. This cheaper Optika 5 is just as clear if not clearer than the more expensive Optika 6 5-30x56 (on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic) and 4.5-27x50 (on sale for $674.97 at Sportsman's) believe it or not but these are MRAD scopes not MOA you want and do not have a 4x minimum magnification. If you can deal with MRAD then the 4.5-27x50 illuminated RD MRAD1 at Sportsman's is very easy to see the center of the reticle on it's lowest 4.5x magnification perfect for hunting situations using a FFP reticle that you already know how impossible they are to use on their lowest magnification for hunting with.

"Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 Z-Plus Riflescope" https://www.bearbasin.net/product-p/meo1032581.htm

The other choices listed are really heavy for hunting.

I do like the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 though but it's 35-36oz however I really think their Chinese made Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 is a much better buy at it's current $565.49 sale price at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 90 days and they're 27oz and is far better than the Vortex Diamondback Tactical and Strike Eagle and Viper PST Gen 2.

The Primary Arms GLx's disappointing performance for the price they charge. I'm fact I was looking forward to buying them to compare to the Athlon Ares BTR G2 and the resident SH review tester told stated that they aren't as clear as the Athlon Ares BTR G2. I wouldn't ever recommend buying them at their normal $869.99 street price though since they're still made in China but $300 off makes them worth buying and you can even return it to your local Walmart within 90 days if you aren't 100% happy it.

Buy several to compare and choose the one that best suits your specific hunting needs. This way you'll never second guess your purchase decision if you could have done better for way cheaper.
I'll check out the Meopta Optika. Yeah the Leupold will probably be some what of a stretch for me if I decide to go that route new. I've got one primary arms GLx. It seems ok but I haven't had it out to the range yet to see if I really like them or not. I did get it on a steep discount.

I wish I could buy several to try out see what works best for me but my reality at the moment is I'm only going to be able to buy one (unless it I get a couple in the $500-$600 range) and I'll have to live with it for a couple of years. So hoping for the best and my ressearch and other peoples experience get me 80-90 percent of what I need.

LR

Reactions: Scopeye
I'll check out the Meopta Optika. Yeah the Leupold will probably be some what of a stretch for me if I decide to go that route new. I've got one primary arms GLx. It seems ok but I haven't had it out to the range yet to see if I really like them or not. I did get it on a steep discount.

I wish I could buy several to try out see what works best for me but my reality at the moment is I'm only going to be able to buy one (unless it I get a couple in the $500-$600 range) and I'll have to live with it for a couple of years. So hoping for the best and my ressearch and other peoples experience get me 80-90 percent of what I need.

LR
More people's experiences...Feel free to read all of the actual customer reviews and they aren't shilling since Meopta doesn't give out any free scopes nor have deceptive practices unlike some other brands. Notice there's zero negative reviews?

"Amazon.com: Customer reviews: MEOPTA Optika5 4-20x50 RD Durable Versatile Compact Adjustable Hydrophobic 1" Tube Hunting Gun Scope with Illuminated Z Plus Crosshair" https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08G5BRFV3/

"Meopta Optika 5 (4-20 x 50) - zplus RD | Rokslide Forum" https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/meopta-optika-5-4-20-x-50-zplus-rd.216691/

Click on ZPlus RD option to see the reticle... also read the reviews.

"Optika5 4-20x50 RD SFP – Meopta" https://meopta.store/products/meopro-optika5-4-20x50-rd-sfp

Hold on I'm adding more review links shortly...

Below DOWNLOADS, there's reviews...

Different reticle non illuminated regular duplex reticle version of this scope but read the 3 pages of positive reviews from customers attesting to it's glass quality compared to other more expensive brands they also own.

"Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 Rifle Scopes - Meopta Optika5 Rifle Scopes on Sale 1032579 - Sport Optics" https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-optika-5-4-20-50-1032579.html

YouTube reviews I stand corrected and retract the statement Meopta doesn't give out FREE scopes for reviewers.

Here's the BDC reticle version with same illuminated center dot as the Z Plus.

Last edited:
More people's experiences...Feel free to read all of the actual customer reviews and they aren't shilling since Meopta doesn't give out any free scopes nor have deceptive practices unlike some other brands. Notice there's zero negative reviews?

"Amazon.com: Customer reviews: MEOPTA Optika5 4-20x50 RD Durable Versatile Compact Adjustable Hydrophobic 1" Tube Hunting Gun Scope with Illuminated Z Plus Crosshair" https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08G5BRFV3/

"Meopta Optika 5 (4-20 x 50) - zplus RD | Rokslide Forum" https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/meopta-optika-5-4-20-x-50-zplus-rd.216691/

Click on ZPlus RD option to see the reticle... also read the reviews.

"Optika5 4-20x50 RD SFP – Meopta" https://meopta.store/products/meopro-optika5-4-20x50-rd-sfp

Hold on I'm adding more review links shortly...

Below DOWNLOADS, there's reviews...

Different reticle non illuminated regular duplex reticle version of this scope but read the 3 pages of positive reviews from customers attesting to it's glass quality compared to other more expensive brands they also own.

"Meopta Optika5 4-20x50 Rifle Scopes - Meopta Optika5 Rifle Scopes on Sale 1032579 - Sport Optics" https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-optika-5-4-20-50-1032579.html

YouTube reviews I stand corrected and retract the statement Meopta doesn't give out FREE scopes for reviewers.

Here's the BDC reticle version with same illuminated center dot as the Z Plus.

After my initial look at them the Optika 6 & 5 will be on my list of scopes to consider, especially with what looks to be quality performance at more affordable price in comparison to other manufacturers.

LR

After my initial look at them the Optika 6 & 5 will be on my list of scopes to consider, especially with what looks to be quality performance at more affordable price in comparison to other manufacturers.

LR
I almost went with an Optika 6 (love the MRAD RD reticle) but it was too heavy for hunting use.
I am currently using Zeiss Conquest V4's (1 for me, 1 on the wife's rifle) and love them for hunting. Will be listing my V4 to fund a V8 soon for a high end hunting build too.

I just got done doing my first real "field test" of my Vortex 4.5-22 LHT. It did well at the range but due to that one guy's weird little test on sideways impacts to the scope causing POI shifts (in 1-2 scopes he tested) I was a bit worried. I brought it on my coues deer hunt and it got impacted several different ways from air travel, the truck ride from hell (almost knocked myself out on the side of the vehicle 3-4 times), getting dragged through the dirt/rocks, and hitting the ground as I dropped my pack down since it was strapped to the pack. It still held up perfectly fine and POI was consistent during our zero session (400, 500, and 600 yards) as well as on the coues deer I shot at 400 yards with it. I've been very happy with it.

Last edited:
I almost went with an Optika 6 (love the MRAD RD reticle) but it was too heavy for hunting use.
I am currently using Zeiss Conquest V4's (1 for me, 1 on the wife's rifle) and love them for hunting. Will be listing my V4 to fund a V8 soon for a high end hunting build too.
At first glance the Optika 6 weight wasn't much of a concern for me (roughly 30oz compared to 23oz of my current scope). But after seeing that weight increase and then also wanting to upgrade the stock before next hunting season I'm thinking that extra 6 to 7oz may push me more to the Optika 5 if I decide to go with Meopta.

LR

I just got done doing my first real "field test" of my Vortex 4.5-22 LHT. It did well at the range but due to that one guy's weird little test on sideways impacts to the scope causing POI shifts (in 1-2 scopes he tested) I was a bit worried. I brought it on my coues deer hunt and it got impacted several different ways from air travel, the truck ride from hell (almost knocked myself out on the side of the vehicle 3-4 times), getting dragged through the dirt/rocks, and hitting the ground as I dropped my pack down since it was strapped to the pack. It still held up perfectly fine and POI was consistent during our zero session as well as on the coues deer I shot at 400 yards with it. I've been very happy with it.
Congratulations on your harvest. That's good information for me to hear.

LR

Congratulations on your harvest. That's good information for me to hear.

LR
The scope was great but the biggest lesson I learned coues hunting is that my RRS tripod is worth its weight in gold. It comes in just behind my suppressors and just ahead of my Swaro EL 10x50s as the best decision I ever made in gear acquisition.

I prefer the HTMR myself, but that's because I gave up moa years ago.

I don't think you can beat it in weight and optical quality in the budget.

It is SFP though, so holds are only good at 15x, not that I've ever had an issue since anything far enough for a hold I can crank it.

At the ranges described in your specifications, I would not get a scope with more than 10x power, nor do you need a parallax feature. At the ranges you describe, there will be no dialing, (who seriously hunts like that anyway?) properly sighted, you can pretty much aim dead on at any big game animal.
Get a basic hunting scope with the best coatings you can afford.

At the ranges described in your specifications, I would not get a scope with more than 10x power, nor do you need a parallax feature. At the ranges you describe, there will be no dialing, (who seriously hunts like that anyway?) properly sighted, you can pretty much aim dead on at any big game animal.
Thank you for your input. I agree 10X would be more than enough at my ranges. But if I can swing the cost everything else being equal I prefer to 15 or 16X. With my basic deer hunting range I could zero at 200yards and be good from 100 to 300 easy. Again all things being equal and within my budget I would like to have a reticle that gives me some holdover options if a coyote or groundhog makes an appearance beyond my normal comfort level for deer. I'm with you on dialing a range while hunting. While I know there are situations where that is an advantage for people and their hunting situations, but I don't think it would be for me.

Any recommendations on what I should be considering beyond some currently mentioned manufacturers and models?

LR

The scope was great but the biggest lesson I learned coues hunting is that my RRS tripod is worth its weight in gold. It comes in just behind my suppressors and just ahead of my Swaro EL 10x50s as the best decision I ever made in gear acquisition.

I've also had good luck with multiple Vortex LHTs and really every Vortex Razor i've had.

And not to derail the thread, but I couldn't agree more with your take on most important gear for LR hunting.
1. Suppressors
2. RRS tripod
3. A good set of binos, preferably range finding with ballistics/sensors built in

Reactions: Secant and LReece
Thank you for your input. I agree 10X would be more than enough at my ranges. But if I can swing the cost everything else being equal I prefer to 15 or 16X. With my basic deer hunting range I could zero at 200yards and be good from 100 to 300 easy. Again all things being equal and within my budget I would like to have a reticle that gives me some holdover options if a coyote or groundhog makes an appearance beyond my normal comfort level for deer. I'm with you on dialing a range while hunting. While I know there are situations where that is an advantage for people and their hunting situations, but I don't think it would be for me.

Any recommendations on what I should be considering beyond some currently mentioned manufacturers and models?

LR
My goto rifle for deer is a 280 Ackley Improved. I'm shooting a Berger 140 Hunting VLD that leaves the barrel at 3250 fps. Devastating on the game I've taken with it. I COULD shoot a heavier bullet for larger game but I have other rifles, so...
Using a ballistic app, I chose a target vital zone of 6" and looked for an optimum max zero. I came up with 275 yards for zero. The bullet impacts 3" above point of aim at 160 yards and 6" below point of aim at 358 yards. For the VAST majority of the deer hunting I do, this works great. I see a deer, think oh, he's a little farther away so I'll aim just a hair high of his heart and pull the trigger. No range finder needed.
I use a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44P with the BRX/BRH reticle. This is not a scope that lends itself to dialing a solution. It's a 2nd focal plane scope (I think all Swaros are) and I prefer the 2nd focal plane on a hunting scope. I used the Swarovski app and took a screenshot of the reticle with my zero and bullet inputs at 3.5x, at 10x and at 18x. I took that info and went to shoot and verify that DOPE. Then I made a little DOPE card with the 3 zoom levels and their associated yardage values that I laminated and taped to the stock. This is mainly for the times when I'm out killing rocks but I did shoot a coyote way out there once. It's also handy if I am using a stationary blind and can take more time to plan a shot.
Lots of words to say...I really like the Swarovski scopes I have for hunting and I think you would too. Be aware of the 2nd focal plane thing that you can use to an advantage.

I really like my Triji Credo 2.5-10x56 for a hunting scope. Clean simple illuminated mil reticle, great glass, not too heavy, can live with SFP @ 10x max. It’s absolute no brainer when EuroOptic puts them on sale.

Reactions: hkguns and LReece

That’s kinda what I was thinking too. I’ve got an older zeiss west German 3-9 that is fantastic optically. Certainly better than the vx5 I have seen (which are good too).

LR

Let me point you back to the Leica. Keep this a simple buy, you can go down endless rabbit holes and research with scopes.

It’s not FFP, but not a huge deal for what you are describing. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t the best glass out of the listed scope, and its simple illumined dot is the best low light reticle in my opinion. I’ll also add, I wouldn’t give two thoughts on this scope having a 44 vs 50mm objective. This scope will perform very well in low light.

1. It is light
  2. It is almost exactly what you described
  3. It is a world famous premium brand
  4. It is discounted and fits you budget perfectly
  5. Eurooptics is great to do business with and will allow you to return it within 15 days

Take a step into the premium brands…at an affordable price too..

Let me point you back to the Leica. Keep this a simple buy, you can go down endless rabbit holes and research with scopes.

It’s not FFP, but not a huge deal for what you are describing. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t the best glass out of the listed scope, and its simple illumined dot is the best low light reticle in my opinion. I’ll also add, I wouldn’t give two thoughts on this scope having a 44 vs 50mm objective. This scope will perform very well in low light.

1. It is light
  5. Eurooptics is great to do business with and will allow you to return it within 15 days

Leica is often overlooked and is an excellent scope. I'd love to find a second hand Magnus

Reactions: Xycod and LReece
All of my sfp scopes are Leicas. They're awesome glass. The amplus is really nice, the turrets are nice, reticles are nice. The magnus is a different beast. They are awesome scopes. Wish I had more of them.

Reactions: BCP and LReece
Find an old Premier Reticle LT (light tactical) 3-15x50. You will not be disappointed.

1. It is light

Leica is often overlooked and is an excellent scope. I'd love to find a second hand Magnus

All of my sfp scopes are Leicas. They're awesome glass. The amplus is really nice, the turrets are nice, reticles are nice. The magnus is a different beast. They are awesome scopes. Wish I had more of them.

I've been adding most of the recommended brands and models to a list with their different attributes, specs, & prices. Leica is certain at the top of that list of ones that I'm seriously looking at.

LR

Reactions: A.Redd
I have a leica rangefinder and some leica binoculars they are both 10/10 optically. Meopta is another company that makes excellent hunting scopes they have a hunting model that is ~500 and compares favorably to the vx5 leupold.

I appreciate the comments and recommendations. I have several options to chose from and several models to look out for in the PX. Several people have brought up the subject of weight and after lugging my +12lb crossbow into territory I normally wouldn't go with it this weekend has got me reconsidering several of my future plans for this particular rifle.

Once I get something purchased I post up what end up with. Thanks again everyone.

LR

Find an old Premier Reticle LT (light tactical) 3-15x50. You will not be disappointed.

Until the first made in Nunya part breaks and you have zero warranty and all ATI will give you is a $600 credit on a new TT and you could just get that off one by shopping around and you eat whatever you paid for the POS too.

Reactions: beetroot
For your budget, the Schmidt & Bender Klassik series is another high quality choice:

1) Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x56mm Klassik LM L3 Riflescope 642-811-462-03-03A02
2) Schmidt Bender 3-12x50 Klassik LM L3 Black Riflescope 644-811-482-05-05A02
3) Schmidt Bender 4-16x50mm Klassik LM P3 0.5 cm Riflescope 847-811-862-08-08A02

I appreciate the comments and recommendations. I have several options to chose from and several models to look out for in the PX. Several people have brought up the subject of weight and after lugging my +12lb crossbow into territory I normally wouldn't go with it this weekend has got me reconsidering several of my future plans for this particular rifle.

Once I get something purchased I post up what end up with. Thanks again everyone.

LR
The Zeiss V4 is only around 23oz. It's extremely lightweight.

Ok. Lots of good info shared here. I'm in Texas hunting deer & boar. Using an Aero Solus Precision in 308 out to 400 yards maybe. Will also do some long-range shooting just to test my skills. Your input would be helpful. All are FFP and Lit Reticle.

I'm looking at either Meopta Optika6 3-18x50, US OpticsTS 2.5-20x50mm or Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 3-15x50.

Ok. Lots of good info shared here. I'm in Texas hunting deer & boar. Using an Aero Solus Precision in 308 out to 400 yards maybe. Will also do some long-range shooting just to test my skills. Your input would be helpful. All are FFP and Lit Reticle.

I'm looking at either Meopta Optika6 3-18x50, US OpticsTS 2.5-20x50mm or Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 3-15x50.
Don’t waste your time with the Meopta… They’re not bad scopes, just unimpressive. Plus, the gigantic buttplug knobs and adjustment rings are very cheesy and gaudy.

Of those 2 options, I’d go with the XTR-III 3.3-18x50 SCR2.

But in that same price range, don’t overlook the Zeiss V4 6-24x50 with the ZMOAi-20 reticle. This is what I run on most of my lightweight hunting rifles.

Whatever scope you go with, put it in a set of ARC M-Brace rings. 👍🏼

Reactions: Gunner06
Non illuminated on a ffp scope used for hunting in low light is a non starter and shouldn't even be considered.
This. I missed out on the white tail of a lifetime on Saturday morning because my illuminated reticle was dead at day break. Stood broadside at 80 yards for nearly 2 minutes and all I could do was watch. On FFP scopes you at first light you may not be able to make out the reticle but you can 100% see, identify, judge, and harvest the animal. With illumination on at least the center dot youll be good to go at daybreak and sunset. Don't be me lol.

Reactions: jbuck88
Don’t waste your time with the Meopta… They’re not bad scopes, just unimpressive. Plus, the gigantic buttplug knobs and adjustment rings are very cheesy and gaudy.

Of those 2 options, I’d go with the XTR-III 3.3-18x50 SCR2.

But in that same price range, don’t overlook the Zeiss V4 6-24x50 with the ZMOAi-20 reticle. This is what I run on most of my lightweight hunting rifles.

Whatever scope you go with, put it in a set of ARC M-Brace rings. 👍🏼
Yeah....No on those 2!!! The US Optics is $1500 but on sale for $785!!! Going with it.

The USO 2.5-20x50 is an overpriced Chinese scope with terrible resolution and chromatic aberration on high magnification. EuroOptic had them on sale for $499 earlier this year. It's not even close to the Nightforce NX8.

Reactions: Gunner06
The USO 2.5-20x50 is an overpriced Chinese scope with terrible resolution and chromatic aberration on high magnification. EuroOptic had them on sale for $499 earlier this year. It's not even close to the Nightforce NX8.
Have you owned one?
Or are you here to just shit on another thread?

Non illuminated on a ffp scope used for hunting in low light is a non starter and shouldn't even be considered.

I was hunting with a ffp scope last year and there is no way I would have ethically shot my elk without the illumination. In the timber and just not bright enough to pick the reticle our against a darker animal.

Last edited:
Have you owned one?
Or are you here to just shit on another thread?
Yes matter of fact. I immediately sold it for break even price since it was really cheap at $499 rather than pay to ship it back for a refund. I bought it thinking it was a competitor to the Nightforce NX8 based on MSRP. I didn't realize it was made in China either before I bought it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I just picked up a Leupold VX-5HD 3x15 with WindPlex reticle that I think is going to be super for my hunting needs. (Mostly Eastern deer and hogs to 400 yards and targets to 600.) I'm finalizing my exact go to load and will be getting the CDS reticle made.
They have a HTMR reticle that my be what you are looking for if you want vertical marks.

I just picked up a Leupold VX-5HD 3x15 with WindPlex reticle that I think is going to be super for my hunting needs. (Mostly Eastern deer and hogs to 400 yards and targets to 600.) I'm finalizing my exact go to load and will be getting the CDS reticle made.
They have a HTMR reticle that my be what you are looking for if you want vertical marks.
I'll have to look back at my complied list but the VX-5HD is in the top three of choices at the moment.

LR

Couple things that pushed me that way was the glass, the reasonably light weight and simplicity for hunting. Enough capability to reach out, but not tactical. Plus warranty. Anyway, it was my choice and I’m happy with it. Good luck!