• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a better hunting scope for my rifle

Don't get too wrapped around the axle for FFP.
After becoming a convert to FFP years ago, I have come to the conclusion that, in most situations, it doesn't fucking matter.
Not that there aren't benefits to using a FFP scope, but in all reality, it just doesn't fucking matter the majority of the time and sometimes, it is a hindrance.
Also, you seem tied to MOA, not sure why.
A trijicon Credo in 2.5-15x42 would serve you well.
You can get the HX model in MOA if you're so inclined.
MIL is FAR easier to work with.
They are available within your budget.
The Athlon HMR Midas 2.5-15x50 is a dandy scope, on sale and MOA with a good reticle and good illumination:

Don't get too wrapped around the axle for FFP.
After becoming a convert to FFP years ago, I have come to the conclusion that, in most situations, it doesn't fucking matter.
Not that there aren't benefits to using a FFP scope, but in all reality, it just doesn't fucking matter the majority of the time and sometimes, it is a hindrance.
Also, you seem tied to MOA, not sure why.
A trijicon Credo in 2.5-15x42 would serve you well.
You can get the HX model in MOA if you're so inclined.
MIL is FAR easier to work with.
They are available within your budget.
The Athlon HMR Midas 2.5-15x50 is a dandy scope, on sale and MOA with a good reticle and good illumination:
The Credo HX is also in my top 3 choices, along with the VX-5HD. MOA and yards is just what I'm used to using for both rifle and bow hunting. Not saying I'll never convert to using MIL, but unless I start having a desire to shoot competitions I just haven't seen the need in my situation.

LR

Reactions: boatbum101
The Credo HX is also in my top 3 choices, along with the VX-5HD. MOA and yards is just what I'm used to using for both rifle and bow hunting. Not saying I'll never convert to using MIL, but unless I start having a desire to shoot competitions I just haven't seen the need in my situation.

LR
I hear you, but consider this:
is it easier to divide or multiply by ten or 1.047?

Amazon is your friend. So long as you check the return policy, you could order a couple of different scopes and compare. So long as you don't mount it, most places will allow returns.

I looked at the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 and the Vortex LHT 3-15x42. The NF had better turrets but the Vortex had the better glass, especially under low light. I sent the NF back and kept the Vortex.

Since you already have a Trij on your list, look at the Trij Ten Mile 3-18. I have one and its a very nice scope for the coin. They make an MOA model and if you aren't in a hurry you can find sales on them that put them easily into your price range.

Last edited:
Reactions: LReece
so perhaps walk thru an example of a realistic hunting situation where you would be much if any quicker with a mil scope over a moa scope.
Right back at you, please enlighten me why the MOA would be superior?
It has nothing to do with being quicker, it's about being easier.

Amazon is your friend. So long as you check the return policy, you could order a couple of different scopes and compare. So long as you don't mount it, most places will allow returns.

I looked at the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 and the Vortex LHT 3-15x42. The NF had better turrets but the Vortex had the better glass, especially under low light. I sent the NF back and kept the Vortex.

Not to sound rude but ordering multiple expensive (being relative of course) scopes to try out just isn't within my financial capabilities. While yes there is the possibility of returning the ones I don't like I'm still not able to front the initial purchase of two or three $1k scopes for comparison.

LR

Reactions: tna9001
so perhaps walk thru an example of a realistic hunting situation where you would be much if any quicker with a mil scope over a moa scope.

At the end of the day I'm not going to be actively calculating anything in my deer stand. There will be a reference chart of common ranges, with their holdover for my round of choice, I run into on the property I hunt and hopefully I will have already determined where those ranges are from my stand. So a quick glance if needed determine my holdover before making a shot is my plan for the future.

LR

Reactions: boatbum101
i think they're pretty much the same, no one has shown me otherwise, that's why i asked for an example. and i can see if your buddies are using one platform that it would be easier to go with the flow vs converting back and forth.

i think they're pretty much the same, no one has shown me otherwise, that's why i asked for an example. and i can see if your buddies are using one platform that it would be easier to go with the flow vs converting back and forth.
I agree, they are both, after all, angular measurements.
It's just that Mil's work seamlessly, no matter what unit of measure you are using.
I went to mil's a long time ago, recently tried using an MOA scope and found it too much bother.

Personally I like bright clear glass . IMHO for hunting in your conditions / ranges you aint gonna be dialin' . Also IMHO you'll find the Swaro Z3 , Zeiss V4 & S&B Klassic will have the best glass within your budget . To me the Meopta while not quite as good optically are big , heavy & clunky feeling . Now if you're gonna be twisting & dialin' you'll want something else . Again for your kind of hunting I fail to see what if anything FFP or MRAD brings to the table .

Let's not forget, you can dial MOA just as you can dial MRAD. Clicks are clicks, you need to know your equipment either way. When I am hunting and there are shots beyond 100 yards, I keep a simple dope card on my rifle.

I'm in the same boat looking for a hunting optic. Considering the Trijicon Credo or Accupoint 2.5-10x56 at around $650 on sale but the $670 Trijicon Tenmile 6-24 at eurooptic and scopelist really has me thinking. Downside is the 6-24 is overkill for me as I was hunting an hour ago in the woods and my max shot was maybe 70 yards lol

Edit: Also looking at the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 that's $650 as well. Edit: 2 Zeiss is on the backburner as it doesn't have an illuminated reticle.

I'm in the same boat looking for a hunting optic. Considering the Trijicon Credo or Accupoint 2.5-10x56 at around $650 on sale but the $670 Trijicon Tenmile 6-24 at eurooptic and scopelist really has me thinking. Downside is the 6-24 is overkill for me as I was hunting an hour ago in the woods and my max shot was maybe 70 yards lol

Edit: Also looking at the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 that's $650 as well. Edit: 2 Zeiss is on the backburner as it doesn't have an illuminated reticle.
The Zeiss has better glass than the other 2... So, I would't put it too far back on the burner... I have a bunch of the V4 6-24x50's on my hunting rifles, and they're top-notch lightweight hunting scopes. I mean, of course they're not ZCO clear or anything, but for under $1,500, they compete really hard.

The Zeiss has better glass than the other 2... So, I would't put it too far back on the burner... I have a bunch of the V4 6-24x50's on my hunting rifles, and they're top-notch lightweight hunting scopes. I mean, of course they're not ZCO clear or anything, but for under $1,500, they compete really hard.
Fair enough there. I'm not too familiar with high quality glass. My highest end glass over the last couple years other than my Acog TA31 has been a Bushnell Nitro 3-12 FFP, Sightron S-Tac 3-16 FFP, and SWFA fixed 12x. The only one I have left out of the 3 is the SWFA and they were all more so target shooting scopes. Started going down the rabbit hole after considering buying a weatherby vanguard that has a Swarovski 4-12x50 on it and finding out that's a pretty expensive relative to the rifle scope, even used.

Reactions: FuhQ
Fair enough there. I'm not too familiar with high quality glass. My highest end glass over the last couple years other than my Acog TA31 has been a Bushnell Nitro 3-12 FFP, Sightron S-Tac 3-16 FFP, and SWFA fixed 12x. The only one I have left out of the 3 is the SWFA and they were all more so target shooting scopes. Started going down the rabbit hole after considering buying a weatherby vanguard that has a Swarovski 4-12x50 on it and finding out that's a pretty expensive relative to the rifle scope, even used.
Oh... Well, If that's the case, then you'll think these Ziess V4's ARE ZCO's, and you damn sure won't be disappointed in the V4. 😂

If you've looked through a Swarovski Z5, then it's on the same level as the Ziess V4. If you have any local stores that have any Zeiss V4's in stock, go look through them, and then if their prices are higher than online, go home and order it online. I've done that many times, because my local stores wouldn't wheel and deal, and then I saw them online during a holiday or something on huge sale, and bought it then, and saved hundreds.

Like this deal... $1,150 scope for $799... I have a few of these exact models I caught on sale at Midway. Their stock says there's only 1 left in stock... They've probably been selling the shit out of them for that price.

The USO 2.5-20x50 is an overpriced Chinese scope with terrible resolution and chromatic aberration on high magnification. EuroOptic had them on sale for $499 earlier this year. It's not even close to the Nightforce NX8.
Yeah. I used to have a NF NXS on my sniper rifle. Can’t afford it anymore plus this isn’t for that line of work. Just gone hunt Deer, hogs, and paper👍🏼

if you want the brightest scope, buy a top tier zeiss. you won't find anything better. Next down would be a S&B T96, and if those are too pricey, find yourself a good used Zeiss Diavari T* or even a Kahles Helia C or a Klassik S&B. All of those, in that order, will outlast legal hunting hours significantly and be clear and sharp well into twilight.

further down the list is Meopta, but it's a big gap. And the Meopta R1 and R2's are really no brighter than the cheaper line.

I gave up on Leupold years ago, and although I have a ton of Trijicon glass, it's not in that alpha category.

this is not based on some bullshit I read, this is all objective data with side by side benched, scoped rifles using eye charts in fading light.