• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a car pistol safe

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
I've been looking around for a small "safe" that will fit under the seat of my vehicle. I'm not allowed to carry at work, and not having a secure place to put it in my vehicle is preventing me from carrying daily. I realize that anything that will fit under a seat probably won't stop a determined thief.

If reliability is near the top of the list, is biometrics a no go? It sounds nice on paper from a convenience standpoint, but that would be short lived if it didn't work every time.

Doesn't really need to be quick access since the only time it will be in the safe is when I'm away from my vehicle, but it would be nice.

What works for you guys, and what should I stay away from?

Thanks!

I've got a smittybilt lockbox. Only use it when I absolutely need too. I ended up using different bolts than what they supplied. get multiple sleeve and you can mount it into different vehicles. the youtube videos are no good. basically the sleeve is bolted to your vehicle and on the lock box you can unhook it and the box still locked. turn the key one more time and the box opens. ended up buying mine thru a group deal.

Secure Lock Box - Smittybilt

Not sure about all vehicles, but they make an armrest for the Dodge truck that has a lock box under the padded part for locking away a pistol. I'm sure if you look, that they're made for other vehicles, but I bet trucks in particular. The price wasn't too bad if I recall right, I should have bought it just because. I'd have gotten the use out of it. It was 2005-06, sure they still make 'em.

I'd have gotten one I guess, but I typically don't leave the weapon in the truck, and when I do it's usually in a safe place and just for a moment (like to run into VA or PO). Or on the off chance I have my Visa and passport in order and plan on visiting foreign countries CA or NY.

I carry anywhere it isn't ILLEGAL by law. That's very few places here, you can carry just about anywhere. I generally ignore "policies" as I didn't have a hand in drafting or voting on them, nor are they generally enforced it seems. My wife, she isn't supposed to carry at work. But she has daily for the last several years. Nobody there is gonna go to the mat for her safety and she's probably the only armed one there. They have no business handicapping her ability to protect herself. Carry and keep it quiet, unless it's against the law, they'll just ask you to keep it at home if outed. If they fire you, it probably wasn't a place you really wanted to work for anyway.

That's my take on it. I just find my chances for survival are better if there's a workplace shooter and I'm trying to negotiate an exit and I have the ability to return fire if perchance he turns on me. You'll find out just how lonely this world is when you have to run for your life and the only guy in the room that's armed is the one shooting at you.

No job is important enough to surrender my 2A rights just because it helps the ownership save a few shekels on insurance fees, and that's what it REALLY boils down to. They ALL say the SAME thing after a shooting too --we value our employees and their safety, blah, blah, blah.

Get a tiny, light pistol or revolver you can pocket carry and get away with and carry it daily. A 340PD is good, those Keltecs aren't supposed to be bad for what they are. I'm not advocating you break the law mind you, I'm just advocating you break company policy with great gusto.

Unless that company is the federal government.

I have the exact same issue as the OP. I have a keyed gun vault brand lock box. I use the cable to strap around the seat post, then slide it under the set when I'm at work.

I like the key over the Bio. Get a quick release keychain and put the lock box key on one side. When you get in your car you can release it from your other keys and have the key inserted in the lock box instead of it on the keychain in the ignition if you dont want to remove it from the box. Othewise the key is stuck on the keychain in the ignition until you turn the car off.

Get a harbour freight electronic keyboard small safe on sale. $39. Now use the 20% off coupon. :) Attach it to the floor board with grade 8 bolts, grade 8 washers and red loctite. I dont have to tell you to pick a spot in the floorboard where nothing that is important will get drilled do I? Those safes are pretty easy to defeat by actuating the solenoid with a electric drill and a 9v battery ala you tube. What percentage of guys breaking into cars have electric drills? I wouldnt want to try to physically defeat one of these safes without a stihl concrete saw. Keep the overide key in your good safe at home.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue as the OP. I have a keyed gun vault brand lock box. I use the cable to strap around the seat post, then slide it under the set when I'm at work.

I tried this with my Sig P226 and the weirdest thing would happen - I couldn't get the safe to unlock with the pistol in it if it was cable-tied to my seat bracket. I was never able to figure out why. It took a LOT of working the key around to get it to finally open. I thought it was the size of the Sig, but when it wasn't leashed to the car it keyed open with no trouble. I gave up on it in hopes of finding a better solution.

I use the cable to strap around the seat post, then slide it under the set when I'm at work.
^^I do this too
I also remove my slide and pocket my barrel so even if they do get past my cable lock or steal the vehicle the sidearm is still inoperable to the thief.

If I have to leave a weapon in my car I use a pelican pad locked to a locked cable. It will prevent the typical car burglary smash and grab. If you're concerned for more than that it should be on your person.

This. If I were to go places where my CHL carry is no legal I store the piece in the truck vault.

25kn81x.jpg