• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good AR hog gun.

Black Ice

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I’m looking to get an AR for hog hunting and wanted something in between the .223 and .308 AR’s I currently have. I’ve got a CGS Hyperion K on order so it will be suppressed and potentially have a thermal.

I currently have a Falkor Petra and wouldn’t mind going with their 6.5 creed but not sure I want to spend that much money. Thanking 3k or less for this one. Two that have peaked my interest are the Seekins 10 and the DDV line.

What that being said what barrel length would you think about getting for this type of setup?

For hogs? 6.8 or 458 socom would be the first two I'd consider. The 458 is definitely purpose driven, but amazing on hogs within 200 yards. The 6.8 is great on hogs but you can also stretch it out quite a ways.

I bought a cheapo Diamondback DB10 in 6.5cm for this purpose a while ago. My other 2 ARs are DD's. I also shoot my gas guns with a TBAC Ultra 7. At first I struggled with the DB10 as far as reliability, but two things fixed that:

1. An adjustable gas block
2. Using good lube

I used frog lube when I first started shooting it and that stuff didn't work very well at all. Since I switched lubes and have the gas tuned correctly I have probably fired between 4-500 rounds trouble free, alot of them in some pretty shitty conditions. Accuracy is about 1 MOA with handloads, 1.5 with decent factory ammo. More than sufficient for hogs. As far as barrel length, I think 18-20" is right in the sweet spot for maneuverability and decent velocities.

All depends on what type of hunting you’re doing. My favorite is an SBR with a 11-12” barrel. 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC. The Grendel is my favorite general use round in small frame AR, but seems like dependable mags are an issue for lots of folks. I’ve never had the same issues with 6.8 so that’s my vote.

With this setup it will be sitting in a box blind at night or riding around on a SXS at night.

I thought I had it narrows down to a 6.5 creed or .260 in the Daniel defense but now I’m thinking that 6.8 may be good. I think for what I’m wanting to do a 20 inch barrel with the suppressor is too long so probably a 16 inch.

I plan on going some time in the near future to Texas to hunt the little devils. I spoke to a friend that hunts them in the hill country all the time and he recommended a 6.8 SPC as is already stated here. I have a 2.5 - 10 x 56 on mine so as to give maximum light in case I do not get rent a thermal. I will use Hornady 100 GMX Full Boar.

The only other time I hunted them I used my 7 Mag Elk Rifle and it was a big mistake - I am sure I did not hit the right place as the bullet went clean through him and he ran away - I chased them with my 44 Mag pistol but it was dusk and it was long gone.

Either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC. I have a Wilson Combat in 6.8 that I like, but for your purpose they are basically identical as far as ballistics go.
This is a pretty good write up using Hornady SST ammo for each.

This. The scope is over the top for OP's purpose but it will get the job done. I will say some hogs didn't know
they had the MDR-T6 reticle on their broad side; if they heard the shot I missed, Not.

IMG_5935 Annotated with S&B 1-8X Dual CC copy.jpg
IMG_2325 copya copy.jpg

Last edited:
This. The scope is over the top for OP's purpose but it will get the job done. I will say some hogs didn't know
they had the MDR-T6 reticle on their broad side; if they heard the shot I missed, Not.

View attachment 7597523View attachment 7597524
Beautiful Rifle - Which model is the suppressor? I looked on their website and there only appears to be a 5.56 in that size. Also do you find it accurate - meaning able to keep up with the rifle's accuracy of 1 MOA or better?

I have a Wilson Combat 6.8 with a thermal scope on it. I use it for hogs and coyotes.

Attachments

• 83CC313C-0811-4995-AB37-F10587C707CC.jpeg
    83CC313C-0811-4995-AB37-F10587C707CC.jpeg
    920.6 KB · Views: 994
  • D5E719D6-00D3-4DF9-8CE1-3523FE5445B8.jpeg
    D5E719D6-00D3-4DF9-8CE1-3523FE5445B8.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Sandhog308
Noveske Afghan in 6.8 rocking 90gr XM68GD is a BEAST on piggies. I believe Federal Fusion 6.8 bonded is the replacement now...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567086977041.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567086977041.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 108
Surprised no one is mentioning 300 blackout.
Most hogs are shot under 100, and great round to shot suppressed with capable knock down power in a small package

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I’ve never looked into the SBR stuff. Is it like the suppressor on a several month wait?
Also if I’m not wanting to wait would a 16 inch barrel be too long suppressed?

I’ve never looked into the SBR stuff. Is it like the suppressor on a several month wait?

Sbr wait isn’t too long right now but with braces I don’t ever feel the need to sbr anything. I hunt out of state a lot and getting a pass to do so is a hard pass, not to count the paperwork, and tax stamp

I have a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel I built primarily for hogs, but unfortunately I haven't been able to use it yet. I have taken some hogs with my 300blk and the 110gr Barnes blacktips are really impressive.

I'll echo the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC recommendations above. AR15Performance will not ship any products to California, so I'm not a fan (as a CA resident), but their barrels seem to get good reviews. Craddock Precision and Compass Lake Engineering are my preferred sources for barrels, and I don't think you can go wrong with a 12"-16" barrel in either caliber. If you're on a budget, SixFiveArms offers some excellent 6mm ARC and 6.5 Grendel barrels (when they're in stock).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pootyng
I may be the only person in the world that has a bad thing to say about these barrels, but the one I had was a disappointment. Chamber was so rough my fired brass kept on getting stuck. And the owner wasn’t very helpful.
Form 1 eFile is no big deal. I’ll gladly pay for a tax stamp so I can have a short barrel and a real rifle stock. Can’t stand the braces. Once again, I’m probably in the minority with this opinion.

I've killed a few hogs lately. 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel is going to give you the best bang for your buck for a medium cartridge in a small frame AR.

Big heavy cartridges are great if you are stationary hunting only, and from a close range...and don't plan on sending a lot of rounds downrange at a time. Once you get out into open hay meadows where you are guessing range in the dark, and trying to lead running pigs with a slow bullet you're going to realize the limitations of those big .45+ caliber cartridges...not to mention that you're going to be limited to ~10 rounds before changing magazines.

5.56 with a good bullet is more than adequate for stationary hogs. However your ability to drop running hogs with less than ideal hits is going to suffer compared to the 6.8/6.5.

300 Blackout is pretty decent, but you're still lacking a bit behind a 6.8/6.5 of equal barrel length...not a ton, but occasionally enough to make a difference...especially if you're trying to connect past 150 yards.

The 6.8 and 6.5G have a fierce rivalry between loyal hunters, and for good reason...they're pretty much identical with equal barrels. Dudes will draw a Ben Franklin tree with 20 different attributes to argue why their choice is better. However having both, and killing dozens upon dozens of hogs with both...from runners to multiple boars 250+ pounds...you'll see far more difference in performance due to bullet construction than you will cartridge design.

I have made some shitty videos over the past year or two. Feel free to watch me struggle and come to your own conclusion. Plenty of 6.8/6.5G use, along with some .308 (my favorite) and .223.

I currently have a Falkor Petra and wouldn’t mind going with their 6.5 creed but not sure I want to spend that much money. Thanking 3k or less for this one. Two that have peaked my interest are the Seekins 10 and the DDV line.

What that being said what barrel length would you think about getting for this type of setup?

Barrel...gotta go short, 16.5 or less. ESPECIALLY with the addition of a suppressor.

A shorty 6.5cm would give you the ability to essentially have a hot 6.5g with a short barrel. Guys are running 120's in the 2800-2900 out of 16.5" 6.5cm, now maybe with an AR, that comes down to 2700-2800, but still.

My buddy has a 6.5g for deer and he can't say enough about it. Get a nicer bolt to handle the xtra stress on that thin bolt.

I’m really liking what Wilson Combat has to offer but they have this message on their website:

NOTICE: During this period of extreme demand, we are temporarily suspending production on some AR calibers for now. This move was made to improve our delivery of back-ordered products. As of 9/1/2020, we will ONLY be accepting new orders for 9mm, 5.56, .223, 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 Blackout, 300 HAM'R, .308 Win, .458 SOCOM.

There are companies out there that have the AR10 figured out. Daniel defense is not one of them.

Get a lmt Mws 7.62.

Hmmm...I got a 16.5” 300 BO upper I have been working on loads for an upcoming hog hunt (4/15/21). In the passed I have used a Kimber in 308 and a shotgun with 00 buck (helicopter hunt). I am in hopes the 300 BO will work OK. Also taking a 6.5 CM bolt gun for any longer shots (143 ELD-X).
I have tested 115 Lehigh Defense CC, Hornady 130 SP, Barnes 110 TAC TX, and Hornady 125 SST. They all shoot 5 rounds under 1 1/4- 1 1/2” at 100 yards. A couple closer to 1”. I figure that’s good enough. I plan to chronograph before my final loading and decision on which to go with.

Any suggestions are appreciated! I will update after the hunt.

If you're getting down and dirty in the cypress with these hogs, you might consider a 50 Beowulf, 10 in the mag, one in chamber and a DOG! Brutal stopping power at closer ranges, with many very exotic bullets available, if you reload.

Beowulf uppers can be had from Alexander from $772 (basic) to $1312 (dressed up); not very expensive when you consider..... Plop it on your lower and go BANG!

I’m looking to get an AR for hog hunting and wanted something in between the .223 and .308 AR’s I currently have. I’ve got a CGS Hyperion K on order so it will be suppressed and potentially have a thermal.

Reactions: bobke

If you reload I have a sweet wildcat 375 stalker it's a bigger version of the 300.blkout it's a 308 case trimmed and necked down to 375. Hit me up if you're interested I have one completes upper with dies brass and cut off jig I'd part with barrel made by satern /liberty barrels

6.8spc or 7.62x39...bit I am smaller framed, and prefer the small framed ARs...and I suppress them, so length and wieght really start to add up quickly.
Whatever route you go, have fun!!
Jordan

Right now, anything you have or can get ammo for.
I shot 30 some odd hogs in Nov and looked at my Grendel ammo supply. Switched to .308 Win milsurp fmj just because I have a bunch. Head, spine, shoulders or pelvis and it works. Gotta go with what you got right now.
Diggler has some good info. I use 300blk and 6.5G in small frame AR’s. Everyone I know shooting hogs with the 6.8 loves it. One caution on 6.5G is watch going too short on the barrel. Lose to much velocity and you may not get bullet performance. Bullet design/choice matters a lot in all these.
Everything is going to be a compromise because pigs are so different. 50# shoat is a different animal than a 400# boar.
Thermal is life changing. Great thermal is orgasmic.

If you don't go 12.5 SBR/brace my 16" with a can isn't bad...

Biggest difference will be walking through scrubby areas. That and the can on a 16 or 18 I feel is hearing safe. My 12.5 is still pretty loud.

No hogs but my go to deer rifle is a 12.5" 6.8, I also have a 16" but the SBR is handy. Shoot the Grendel also, comes down to bullet selection but I feel like the 6.8 does a better job.

Attachments

• 20191227_083132.jpg
    20191227_083132.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 136
I'm going to echo what a couple other people have said and say, don't over think it. Most pigs out there are not these massive beasts demanding a really powerful cartridge. I've taken plenty of hogs with a 14.5" ar15 using m193 ball 5.56, however, if you don't get a head or spine shot its probably going to run. But you can always just shoot twice. Because of this I have moved to shooting a LMT MWS 16" 308 as my main rifle and then take a 556 gun to go walk at night with (but also because I can buy relatively cheap 308 all day long). I also have had great results using my 6.5 creedmoor precision gun on them with 140gr bthp, not a good option if you see more than one though. Honestly, buy what you can actually afford or find ammo to shoot. My buddy only hunts hogs on his property now with a .22 mag and last year I pulled over and killed 12 with an APC9 using a box of anemic Winchester white box 115gr fmj. But obviously all of the 6.5ish rounds are great choices, especially if you have the ability to buy them.

Lots of stuff will work, some stuff will work better, none work if you miss or don't have ammo for it. Good luck on your decision and of course post pics if you buy something new!