• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors looking for a good CC handgun

1stmardiv

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2010
Missouri
I'm leaning towards the Glock 23 because I have had good experiences with glocks, but I am open to other pistols. Problem is I just don't know very much about all that's out there. Just looking for a little direction in my search. Thanks

Re: looking for a good CC handgun

I have two pistols i carry for a back up / CCW. The first is a G23 RTF and the second is a Para Carry Nine. Love them both. Para is a little smaller for the summer months and the 23 has a little more firepower. CCW are more personal preference than anything in my opinion. You really can't go wrong with Glock's, just pick what you like make sure it is reliable and practice with it often. JAA

I have lots of Glocks and really like them, but I have big hands and sometimes the slide will scrape my hand on recoil. I like the feel of the Sprigfield XD better than the Glock but it is a little wider and a bit harder to conceal (for me). I carry a Glock 19 9mm because I like being able to carry a lot of rounds. I have recently started carrying a Ruger LCP .380 because it so easy to stick in your pocket. I know its not much bullet but its better than nothing.

wilson combat compact cqb. i love em , slim profile beveled mag well green front post orng/yellow rears nightsights. lock stock reliable. an purdy too

Some type of flat auto, single stack for the slim profile. I use and like glocks but they are thick, like a previous poster stated you need to find what fits your hands, and body shape for CCW, as well as being able to use it accurately, without having to think about how to operate it in high stress situations.

Im not sure if STI still makes it but they had one called the Lawman avalible in 9 or 40. It is the thinnest compact 1911 I have ever seen. Always wanted one.

Glock 23 is a nice gun, and relatively easy to shoot even in 40S&W because of low bore axis. Just remember that RTF can be tough on your skin in an IWB holster.

I would suggest thinking about whether you want a lasergrip, like crimsontrace.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/GLOCK/tabid/196/Default.aspx

Also think about how you are going to carry extra magazines. Everyone likes the extra capacity of double-stack magazines, but they are a lot less comfortable to carry in IWB mag pouches than a single-stack. Double-stack magazines also have an obvious print in pockets.

Consider that many states have magazine capacity limits, and if you are going to be crossing state line with your gun. Are you going to get limited capacity magazines or step up in caliber, etc?

I suggest thinking about all these factors, and then what holster you want to carry your gun in before buying your gun.

For me I like Crossbread Supertuck so much that I choose my new guns based on the compatibility with their holsters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure if STI still makes it but they had one called the Lawman avalible in 9 or 40. It is the thinnest compact 1911 I have ever seen. Always wanted one. </div></div>

On the topic of STI, I was checking out the "off duty" the other day, that in 9mm could be one slick little 1911. Since your question is strictly pointed to conceal carry, and not an all around shootable pistol you could look at Kahr's. My wife wanted one since their marketing so effectly targeted her (dont let it fool you, some of their PM series I would guess are down right unshootable for woman). Anyhow I got her a P9 with night sights, she hasn't even shot it yet but I have, and it would make one heck of a carry gun. Decent quality, very slim, and I found it relatively accurate. There is a decent amount of "pop" with it though, so I'm guessing she'll hate it...

I had a G23 up until Friday night when it was stolen from my truck I loved that gun and am already looking to get another I am a big guy 6'5" about 300 and can concel it fairly easy. Thats my vote but its user's preference

I carried a Glock 36 for about a year and made the switch to a 1911. Either a Kimber Ultra II or a Wilson CQB compact. In the end I was not comfortable with the Glock. They are basically Condition "0" and I would rather have a locked and cocked 1911 inside my waistband than the Glock. All in all the slim frame of the 1911 is more comfortable for me than the blocky 26/27 or 36 I have tried. Maybe with a flick out trigger block I would be more comfortable with the Glock. Everybody has different preferences. For a deep concealment, summertime in your shorts with no belt piece it is hard to beat a Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT

I know alot of people who bought a G23 as there first pistol and hated it, my Brother had one and I too hated it, so my suggestion is if this your first Glock, buy a G19, the lighter recoil will help with you becoming a better shot, don't get too concerned with the extra stopping power of a 40sw, give me a 9mm Glock, 5 rounds, 5 Dirtbags, and I'll all 5 with 1 shot each.

Try the Taurus PT709 Slimline. It is a 9mm and fits well in a coat pocket. I've got 2 Glocks but the Taurus is my favrovite CC weapon. I would rather shoot my Glocks but I would rather carry my Slimline. But the Slimline is amazingly accurate.

I generally carry a full size 1911, a snub nose revolver or a full size M&P40. My experience with Glock's has been less then stellar to be kind.

The best thing to do is to go to a range that has pistols you can use and start going through them until you find one that works for you.

Walther PPS 9mm and Ed Brown 1911 with ruler for sizing.

IMG_0043.jpg

1911 thickness
IMG_0044.jpg

Walther PPS 9mm thickness

IMG_0045.jpg

That little Walther is easy to conceal and comfortable to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyson77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a G23 up until Friday night when it was stolen from my truck I loved that gun and am already looking to get another I am a big guy 6'5" about 300 and can concel it fairly easy. Thats my vote but its user's preference </div></div>

Dang, that sucks that you got your gun stolen, but that is one thing i like about carrying a glock is that if it does get stolen or ruined somehow, you can go to any gun store and get another one (like it never happend)
wink.gif

I am going to be putting my G36 up for sale here soon with tritium sights, Lasermaxx guide rod laser, Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster if anybody is interested.

I'm fairly new to the CC world, I've only been at it for a year now. That said, I would so much more today than I did way back when I first decided to obtain the CCW License. I like many handgun brands, but I'm mainly a Automatic type guy. While I live the 1911 45 cal Auto, I would not carry it on a daily basis. And carrying on a daily basis's is what's it's all about. At first I had to force myself to carry, it's a new habit and one that has many negative aspects. You have to get use to the responsibility of always having a hand gun ready and available...Trust me, if you're a conscientious guy, it is a major responsibility. Also, carrying a handgun 24/7 is not as easy as it sounds. Part of the problem is the size and the other problem the weight. Cops have huge duty belts, they were and that supports their gear, I do not have this, and neither does most CC people. You have to wear a belt, which is new, and then you have to find a comfortable holster, one that is easy to access and one that fits you and the gun. This is not easy, nor inexpensive. You will have to go thru several holster to find the right on, or at least the right one for that day. If you carry several different weapons, it will get very expensive very quickly, each gun needs its own holster. So far, the most comfortable holster I have fond, is a padded strong side hip holster, that fit on the belt and is worn outside the paints. Unfortunately, this means all your shirts have to be un-tucked... There are so many things to consider when buying a holster, I never would have thought of it as so complicated, without the CCW. You have fit of gun, fit to you, comfort, gun access and gun protection, how it looks, and how easy it is to hide, wear and tear and array of other factors. I have many quick draw, finger retention (Serta) type holsters, for most all my handguns, but don't were them for CC. Why, they are hard to wear, and don't protect the gun or your side. But, they look good.....
The handgun, is way more important, then one would think. usually, you think of quality of brand, caliber and style when buying a handgun, but with CC you have to think of weight, type of trigger, barrel length, caliber (?), finish, bullet capacity, bullet weight, type of sights, ease of use, safety, feel and controls. Most of these factors I never gave much thought to before the CCW, but now they mean the difference between me carrying a gun and not. Sorry, but I would never carry one of my better gun on a daily basis. They get to much were and tear. Anything large and long is out of the question, it has to be compact and light to carry all the time, otherwise it is just too much trouble. I know in the military it is not a big deal, you carry open and most consideration the CC guys have to deal with are not known. I never gave it a care when I was in. It is very hard to find a compromise of all the above, and still have a functional yet comfortable combination. I do not feel comfortable carrying only the weapons magazine, so I find holsters that have a small built-in mag pouch when I can. I have probably 15 different holsters, not a lot, but clearly a considerable investment. I have stash guns around the house, that I like to leave with 1 or 2 extra mags, and the holsters I don't wear. So they get used, kind of..... Personally i have come to terms with what i need, verses what i would like to carry. I carry a .380Auto, or 9mm in a small frame auto configuration. Yes, I know it would be best to carry my 45 auto or 357 Sig or even my 40 S&W, but it don't work for me. And if I am not comfortable, then I won't carry all the time, so which is more important? I would rather be caring something lethal, then having a hand gun at home when I needed one, you probably would too?? Presently, I am carrying a Walther PPK 380, it is big enough that it fits in my hand well, and I can shoot it without a lot of fuss or thinking about it, but small enough to hide well and it doesn't weigh a lot. There are smaller gun available, but I found my comfort level with these one. I also do not want to carry any hand gun without a hammer, it's just me, i like to leave a round in the chamber, but not feel worried all the time. The DA/SA trigger makes this possible, and I also require a de-cocker and safety. I want to be protected both physically and legally. I also only carry LE grade ammo, and never Home or hand loads, again legal protection. Good luck on your CCW, and find a gun and holster that fits you, your body and your lifestyle.

I carry a G26 or G27. First thing of CC is a good holster and belt. If you cannot wear it comfortably, what good is it. On Sunday, I have a DB380 that I carry in a tuckable holster. The Diamondback is very easy to conceal and is very nice to carry. If able, I also have a G29 that I use IWB. It mainly comes down to what fits you. What may work for us won't work for you. I just recently picked up a M&P 9c. I am beginning to like the M&P a little better than the Glock. It really comes down to what caliber you want to use and what is comfortable for you. That being said, I do have a couple of 1911. I enjoy shooting them but really do not care to use them for EDC. Really like the simplicity of the Glock or M&P. The M&P .45c is also a nice carry gun.

Concealed carry is a great distiller of practical firearms. It starts with honestly answering a few direct questions:

1. Are you in harms way as a matter of profession or residence?
2. If you are, will this be your primary means of defense?
3. If you are not, do you believe in statistics?

With the answer to those questions, one can begin to properly approach CC. In harms way? Your selection will have more to do with large capacity and almost seamless presentation. If you are not, get real...one (1) shot....one, is all the statistics suggest you will ever (and that is what statisticians call a "remote" event) need. With the requirement that, in the rarest of events, you might need one (1) shot, the nature of the firearm that one needs to lug around is quite different. Recognize this and you can enjoy a lifetime of perpetual carry grace because you are not walking around with a brick tied to you waist. That very same simplification allows you to buy fewer firearms and really buy an incredibly nice carry piece that can deliver your caliber of choice in the smallest, most practical and prideful package.

I remember a great designer of some of the world most exotic "tape guns" once said to me "in the end, I came to realize that the professionals bought because their life depended on absolute critical operation, but the vast majority of those that paid $2,000 for my guns (back in the 80's) carried to be able to present the weapon to others for show and tell."

I like slim profile of 1911.I just don't trust tha thoughts of carrying a loaded glock for a whole lifetime iwb and never once snagging the trigger that's a lot of possobilities.tha cocked and locked just seems a lot more sensible to me. I carry wilson combat compact cqb beveled mag well and best of all a safety

Your booger hook is your safety.

I'm carrying a G19 now but I'm thinking of switching it or adding another cc gun sometime.

I'm too lazy to carry my 1911, but I do carry it from time to time.

If you use a proper holster, there is very little chance you will snag the trigger on anything. Every holster I own completely covers the trigger guard when holstered. Keep your trigger finger out of the trigger guard when drawing or re-holstering and the only way to an ND is magic. Now if you decide to "Mexican" carry (ie no holster, just stuck in the waistband, then that is a different story.

The debate of 1911 condition 3 vs condition Glock will outlive all of us. Carry what you will carry and not leave in the drawer and practice with it. Find what operating system is best for you.

wow this is a lot of input I really appreciate it all. I currently own a Glock 22, a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm,and an ATI .45ACP. I love all three pistols and calibers. After thinking about all of the ideas and advice I think I will go with a 9mm as my C&C. Still up in the air as to what model though.

As you said, you're comfortable with Glocks and with 9mm as a defensive cartridge. A G19 or G26 would serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The debate of 1911 condition 3 vs condition Glock will outlive all of us. </div></div>

Are you kidding me? Who the hell carries a 1911 in Condition 3?

This isn't Israel. Carry it in condition 1 or leave it at home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The debate of 1911 condition 3 vs condition Glock will outlive all of us. </div></div>

Are you kidding me? Who the hell carries a 1911 in Condition 3?

This isn't Israel. Carry it in condition 1 or leave it at home. </div></div>

+1

Miss type Downzero....condition 1 was meant. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are basically Condition "0" and I would rather have a locked and cocked 1911 inside my waistband than the Glock. </div></div>As I said above I carry cocked and locked as it was meant to be carried but in your haste to blow me out of the water you probably missed that. Really no need for the condescending tone, but hey you got me.

very good points from all I think I will look into the Glock 19 or 26. I appreciate all of your input.

although those pictures of the walther are very nice, I might just get one of those as well

Has anyone had any hands-on with the new (I'm assuming new, since I hadn't seen anything about them before today) Smith & Wesson Bodyguards? Looks like they're trying to 1-up Walther and Ruger with their designs for small .380s and .38s. I have to admit, the .380 Bodyguard with built-in (guide rod?) laser looks pretty cool, and pretty similar to the 9mm Walther PPS. Granted, I'd rather have 9mm than .380 (ammo availability), but if it's a good piece it may be worth a look.

.380 just isn't enough gun. I might grip about carrying my gun sometimes, but I don't ever leave it at home.

Caliber size is always a point of conflict, and probably over emphasized in my opinion. That being said, I carry a 9mm because of minimal caliber size and lower cost of ammo. This is because I think most would agree practice and shot placement is most important. Simple, practice for head shots.

Well, I carry a Glock 30 in .45. Works well for me. Big punch in a small package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caliber size is always a point of conflict, and probably over emphasized in my opinion. That being said, I carry a 9mm because of minimal caliber size and lower cost of ammo. This is because I think most would agree practice and shot placement is most important. Simple, practice for head shots. </div></div>

Caliber size isn't a point of conflict for me, but I won't carry a blowback cartridge unless I have no other choice. Anything locked breech is fine.

Get a gun you can shoot well, and one that is big enough in size and capacity that you will actually carry. I have carried several guns over the years since Texas enacted its CHL. I have sought the perfect carry gun for "ME". Im 5'7 and 150 LBS in South/Central Texas. It does not get very cold here and I dress for the climate. I would love to carry a 1911, and I have tried. But I was unable to carry it comfortably for my size and attire. We have some big boys down here who can get away with caring just about any gun they desire, but im not one of them.

Currently I carry a G19, and im still in pursuit of "MY" perfect carry weapon. For now the G19 is small enough and carries enough ammo for my purposes. However I dont shoot it as well as Id like to for carry purposes. I shoot my 1911 much better. When every projectile going down range has a lawyer attached to it, I want to know I can shoot it real good. Tomorrow im going to buy a M&P and try caring it for a while. I had the opportunity to shoot it a couple weeks ago, and I was able to shoot it just as good as my 1911. It may turn out to be the best gun for me that I have tried, but time will tell.

A CHL is useless if you fail to carry your weapon. If the weapon system (gun/holster combo) are not comfortable, you will not carry if very long.

It comes down to how you dress and your body type. I carry a full size glock 20 10mm. I can do it in nice pants and a close fitting button down shirt untucked. 6,2 tall 200 lbs But I have a thick chest and small waist so it just kinda of hides on my body but it does feel a little annoying when drive or sitting for a long time.

I switch to a sig 229 which is more easly hiding and i can wear it and forget it there. because its just a little smaller.

If I don`t have my g23 on my hip.The p245 is out an about.Glocks are nice an all.But less then lethal force i`d rather pistol slap someone with a Sig Sauer.Built like a tank only a little lighter.But I`m also 6`5" and 350 lbs.

I carry a Kimber SIS Pro comfortable. You see, the reality is, you will only ever fire one shot statistically speaking. On the other hand, a hand gun is only there so you can break contact to your vehicle and pull out your assualt rifle.

Check out the Rohrbaugh R9, 9MM in a small package. It is a little spendy but the quality is there, bottom line is you have got to carry it all the time, some of the bigger pistols give you too many excuses to leave them at home.

As folks have mentioned, it very much depends on your situation. I am a college professor, and it is against the law to carry in the classroom. Hence, bad folks bring guns on college campuses and shoot at targets that can't shoot back.

But I digress.

For me, I have to take out my weapon and leave it in the car a lot, etc. This may apply to a lot of folks since (at least in Texas) many employers choose to disallow employees with permits to carry while on the job.

If you have to "put it on" and "take it off" a lot during the day, I recommend the Kahr PM9 or PM40 with +P ammo. That way I can just slide it into my pocket holster when I hop out of the truck.

I agree with the previous posts. There is a lot to think about.

glock 27 in a comp tac infidel iwb holster. easy to take on off. i'm 5'4" 160lbs