• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good Chronograph

Re: Looking for a good Chronograph

imo you can not go wrong with the ced m2. im betting alot of folks post the same

I also use the Competition Electronics Digital. Easy to use and setup. Simple is good.

I've also heard about some being shot but think about it a bit, the thing is only 10 to 15 feet away from you. It has a big opening to shoot thru and you're working on loads that you're going to be hitting lil targets waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there.... hmmmmm

Topstrap

The only bad thing I can say about this style chronograph is that I have seen 2 of them shot through the front LCD readout. If you look on through their listings you'll find the CED M2. But the price is a bit higher. You'll also find the Pact #1. I've used this very model for the last 10 or 12 years. I have no real complaints with it. But when I replace it I will probably get the CED M2 or an Oehler 35p.

I cannot stress enough to leave the CHRONY named equipment alone. I've had, emphasis on HAD, 2 of them in the past. Leave them alone, unless you just want to throw money away.

Good luck with your choice.

I am another satisfied CED M2 owner. In fact I had mine out at the range yesterday, and as usual, performed flawlessly.

I didn't bother with the CED equipment bag, but instead bought a plastic toolbox, which also holds the tripod as well.

679d8974.jpg

The whole package is convenient to carry and store, and means everything is to hand when I need it.

I'm a happy CED M2 user. I got one of the first M2's as my first chronograph. I've used the club's chrony once or twice and always was concerned about the kill shot to the chrony.

I was considering the Chrony, but ended up with CED M2. Glad I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot stress enough to leave the CHRONY named equipment alone. I've had, emphasis on HAD, 2 of them in the past. Leave them alone, unless you just want to throw money away.

Good luck with your choice. </div></div>

Why is that? What problems did you have? Maybe the better question to ask is, what problems can I expect to have from my Shooting Chrony Beta Master? I do get errors more than I'd like, but to me, the damn thing seems so sensitive to muzzle blast. Once I get it set up in the right spot, seems to work great. But I guess I can't speak for accuracy, as I have no other chrony to compare to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot stress enough to leave the CHRONY named equipment alone. I've had, emphasis on HAD, 2 of them in the past. Leave them alone, unless you just want to throw money away.

Why is that? What problems did you have? Maybe the better question to ask is, what problems can I expect to have from my Shooting Chrony Beta Master? I do get errors more than I'd like, but to me, the damn thing seems so sensitive to muzzle blast. Once I get it set up in the right spot, seems to work great. But I guess I can't speak for accuracy, as I have no other chrony to compare to. </div></div>

If you ever use a higher grade chronograph you'll see a world of difference.

The two "Shooting Chrony's" of different models I had would NEVER read the same numbers even the same day, same temp, same load, same rifle / pistol. One day I remember having 45 acp rounds go from 750 to 900 fps. Same day, same loads on a friends chronograph, same range same conditions, the numbers were running within 25 fps ES on 20 rounds out of the same box of ammo from the same pistol. When you are working to get the numbers small, if the machine just puts out whatever numbers IT WANTS to, you're not going to get any where fast.

If you just want to see if the bullet is in fact crossing the sky screens, maybe you want to keep it. But my time and materials are valuable to me. I don't just pop caps to hear the noise. I'm always testing something. If not hardware or components, then myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot stress enough to leave the CHRONY named equipment alone. I've had, emphasis on HAD, 2 of them in the past. Leave them alone, unless you just want to throw money away.

Why is that? What problems did you have? Maybe the better question to ask is, what problems can I expect to have from my Shooting Chrony Beta Master? I do get errors more than I'd like, but to me, the damn thing seems so sensitive to muzzle blast. Once I get it set up in the right spot, seems to work great. But I guess I can't speak for accuracy, as I have no other chrony to compare to. </div></div>

If you ever use a higher grade chronograph you'll see a world of difference.

The two "Shooting Chrony's" of different models I had would NEVER read the same numbers even the same day, same temp, same load, same rifle / pistol. One day I remember having 45 acp rounds go from 750 to 900 fps. Same day, same loads on a friends chronograph, same range same conditions, the numbers were running within 25 fps ES on 20 rounds out of the same box of ammo from the same pistol. When you are working to get the numbers small, if the machine just puts out whatever numbers IT WANTS to, you're not going to get any where fast.

If you just want to see if the bullet is in fact crossing the sky screens, maybe you want to keep it. But my time and materials are valuable to me. I don't just pop caps to hear the noise. I'm always testing something. If not hardware or components, then myself. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up....Wished I did a little more homework now, prior to my purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

Sounds like the CED M2 is the way to go. What about accessories? Namely the tripod to mount the screens on? Get the CED model or is there something better out there? Tripods always seem to be the place many mfg's cust costs. anyone have the bag to carry it all in?

finally, how is the PC interface? I'd like to be able to download the data to a spreadsheet.

I recently picked up an M2....got the package w/ bag and pod. The bag has straps on the back that u can attach the tripod too.
Here's where i got mine, decent price an quick shipping:
https://www.targetbarn.com/newstore2.asp?CAT=ELECTRONICS&SubCat=CHRONOGRAPHS
Its easy to DL as well, not much of a tech guy an it was easy enough or me. So if a knuckle dragger like me can do it....

Had an Oehler 33, which still was working well when I gave it to a friend. Replaced it with an Oehler 35P, which is an outstanding chronograph. The proof channel (sky screen at the mid-point) is helpful in that it filters out the readings that don't make sense to the computer. Have been using mine for years, so it is well worth the investment. Once you start using a chronograph, you quickly realize how up until then, you have been driving without a speedometer!

I've had the pro chrono plus for about 12 years, it is the model made before the one pictured. With the chronograph at 15 feet, the target area at 100 yards is about a three foot square. If you shoot a chronograph it's your own fault, not the chronographs. You don't have to shoot two inches over the top of it. The Pro Chrono display is easy to read from 15 feet. If I were to replace mine I'd buy the new model and the USB converter for it.

I take binoculars to the range to read the chrono.

I set it way out there, so the gas will not cause errors.

Even the cheapest chrono is way more accurate than you can use.
You need it aligned with the path of the bullet.
A 1 degree error would give a cosine [89 degrees] = 1.7% error reads faster than it is.

If you have the where with all to align the chrono with the bullet path, choose a chrono that will always trigger [not a shooting chrony], and do not shoot the chrono, then which chrono you have does not matter.

I've used an Oehler 35 for more years than I care to remember. Any false readings could always be blamed on me. I recently cemented a base in front of my shooting bench so all I have to do is stick it in the holes and go to work. The chrono stays lined up to the 100 yard target and I can work on my grouping as I check my velocity without having to align everything each session.