• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a good home defense handgun

Re: Looking for a good home defense handgun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCMAI2005</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know of what handgun is the best in their own opinion for home defense? </div></div>

One that is reliable, and fits you good (meaning it feels good in your hand). There are lots of good choices. Glocks, Sigs, HK's, S&W M&Ps, Springfield XD's, ton of decent 1911's, and don't forget a good ole 357 mag Revolver.

I myself prefer a pistol with night sights, I currently have a Glock 20 (10mm)for bedside. I carry a Kahr PM9 (9mm) daily.

Find something that fits you, is comfortable, and practice with it. Make sure you like the trigger, as mastering the trigger is one of the most important aspects of handgun shooting, along with proper grip.

I admittedly didn't read the whole thread, but in the skimming I did do, it appears some of the others have given you good advice/opinions.

my take...some people will tell you a pistol is simply used to fight your way to your rifle/shotgun...eh...i don't see many home invasions turning into all out shootouts.

personally, the gun in/on my nightstand is a G34 w/X300 on it...I keep one of my AR's leaned against the wall in the corner of the closet, but if the dog gets up in the middle of the night, I normally just grab the G34 and hold it to my side and let him out in the yard. Sometimes I will shine the light around the yard, just to see whats out there, but (knock on wood) we haven't ever had any issues here except for deer and other critters in the yard, so that is what is rousing him at night, other than just having to pee.

good luck in your search!

Sorry but I’d tend to agree with the folks that are recommending shot guns. If you consider today constructions standards for internal walls, there is an increased likelihood a 9mm or 45 slug that misses or pass through the intended target to in turn pass through the wall, creating a secondary hazard. Using buck shot may slightly reduce that risk; however a load of 6 shot at 20 foot is even less likely to pass through a wall into another room. Some may argue but I’d recommend staying away from auto loaders, stick with the pump action for reliability sake.

I'll certainly argue against #6 shot...

I want the penetration that #1BB provides. I need to stop a bad guy first and foremost, and birdshot doesn't provide enough margin. Collateral damage is a secondary consideration.

Nothing wrong with a pump-action, but my Beretta 1201FP is faster - and just as reliable as any pump out there.

Agree with previous posts suggesting using an 870, but would add in 20 gauge high brass bird shot so as to not pass through walls, where your children may be sleeping.