• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a knife

partisan1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
N. Pole, Alaska
I am looking at dropping the money on a strider MSS. It looks like the exact knife I have been waiting for except the price. Right material (close enough) and the correct blade shape and size. I don't exactly like the handle but the shape is correct and it looks easy enough to change handles if I go that route. Does anyone know of a knife that looks just like this but without the high price? A lesser steel like D2 or 154cm would work but I don't want the usual 1095 that you usually find in the larger knives.

Re: Looking for a knife

sg4_dp_parts_1_600.jpg

Not exact, but pretty close. And way less expensive. These are heavy herky blades that will take abuse and you can use whatever handle material you want.

AUS8 stainless.

$37.95 from knifekits.com

This shape is similar also with less of a DP.
sg4_std_parts_1_600.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the Strider MSS. My other big knife was an esee in 5" but I didnt like the handle shape, weight, sheath and a few other specifics. I could have reshaped the handle etc but just figured I would go another route. I have a couple different Striders and am pleased with their performance. I looked at buying components to build one but in the process it looked like the price would be getting close to the price of a pre-built knife; sheath, metal, coating, tooling, and the usual screw ups and my time. I am pretty particular about what I put in my kit so hopefully this will be money well spent.

Crusader Forge are nice but their wait time is 6-18months. You might luck out if some backs out of an order though. Take a look at Brusse knives. They show up on Arizonacustumknives.com or Ebay.

There is a reason many of the large, working knives (the type used for heavy chores and chopping) are made from D2 and 1095: the ability to be quickly resharpened in the field a variety of stones or files. The hight tech alloys are cool, but come at a cost of convenience if you lose or break your diamond stick.

personally, my favorite field knife is the one I had made (I gave the rough design requirements) by Harm of Arm Ko Knives in S. Afrika.

I had a set of these made (the only two that have been made), one for me, one for my wife. They really work wonderfully well out in the woods. The compound grind is great for chopping, they shave material well to start a fire, they split kindling chunks off like a champ, they'll easily take apart your dinner and the compound grind makes skinning that same dinner easier. They're razor sharp and maintain an edge, but they're capable of being sharpened in the field if you manage to dull them.

DSC_6939.JPG

For something similar but that Harm does regularly, have a look at his D'Urban Shark design. In the "Tactical/Utility" section of his site, you'll find the D'Urban Shark second down on the left in the second portion of the gallery...right next to it you'll see his C4 design. The Sappeur is a meshing of the two.

--Wintermute

The Strider I ordered showed up and it is exactly what I have been looking for in shape, size, weight, metal etc. The only bad thing is the eagle sheath it came with. The sheath may be the worse design to ever come from eagle. At first glance it look good because it has all kinds of straps, buttons, rivets etc. The problem is it doesn't attach to any width belt very well. It also doesn't attach to molle. The few ways I have looked at attaching it to a belt leaves a lot of slack and various velcro straps looking for a home. It looks as though I am going to try and make my own kydex sheath. Let me reiterate; worse design sheath ever to hit the market.

I had to google the MSS and I like the blade shape. The handle looks different but should be comfortable. The Eagle sheath they use is ok I guess. I had a BD dive knife with the same sheath but did not replace it. A kydex sheath might be the way to go but doubt it would improve much. I need to get a Harm knife, great work.

I have a couple of knives from John Horrigan. You can google him or go to LaRue Tactical, the soldier they profile was his brother and I think he's listed under links.
Best knives I've ever owned.

Look up Swedish Mora knives. They're are great and come in carbon or stainless and they don't cost your first born. They ain't Rambo but they stay sharp work hard.

If I'm feeling fancy, I make my own as well.

_DSC0002-2.jpg

Carlo, that is beautiful.
I guess I can't justify paying $350 for a Strider. Although I haven't lost or broken a knife in 20 years, I look at them as expendable.
I just bought a Ka-Bar Mark 1 for $65 and I'm very happy. However, the first cut was to remove the sheath's superfluous strap at the guard.