• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a mid-priced 17hmr - Currently between the Ruger American Rimfire and Tikka T1x MTR

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Ruger here - https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8350.html
tikka - https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t1x/t1x-mtr

I am going to be using this for prairie dog hunting with a suppressor on it, so factory threaded is a huge plus. ill be in and out of the truck so shorter is better in this case. Are there any other models i should be looking at? Or between these two, what would you recommend? they both seem to get great reviews online.

I have looked at some anschutz models, as well as some of the nice custom options but it seems a waste to get them for super high volume fire of PD hunting.

Don’t overlook the CZ 457.
i ran across it and the reviews seem ok. i havent handled one in person. does the action seem like a real centerfire rifle, or more like a savage rimfire action? id like something that was a bit more substantial. id also prefer a 16" barrel over the 20's

The action is far better than either the Ruger or Savage. It’s pretty substantial in the rimfire realm. Throw a 419 knob on it and it’s a pretty slick little action. Polish that trigger and add the spring kit, and it’s quite a solid little rife.

Reactions: stilesg57
Tikka T1X has much better trigger. With just a spring change, mine is 1 lb. It was great as it came from the factory.
Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Aescobar17
i think right now im leaning to the tikka. do you guys think there will be an accuracy difference in the 16 vs 20"? I would strongly prefer the 16" since its in and out of a truck and shorter is better.

CZ 457 > Tikka > Ruger

IMO, anyway.

I haven’t handled one of the newer Savages but have heard more good than bad. Marlins seem to be really hit or miss the last couple years but the hitters sure do shoot well.

Last time I shot PDs in eastern CO (with a 455 in .17 btw) my friend brought along a new Browning T-Bolt and in addition to the capacity increase of that weird little figure 8 magazine the cycling was super quick and felt great. Way better for follow up shots or multi dog strings than my 455. The 457’s bolt throw will improve that but I bet the T Bolt is still faster. Worth looking at.

Oooooh good point — I thought that was available but hadn’t directly checked. In that case I think the T-Bolts with the threaded barrel is only the long one too.

Ok. It seems that given my requirements the tikka seems to fit best. I'm going to check outthe tikka in person and probably get that one.

I have a Tikka in 17 HMR and love it. My only complaint is sometimes the mouth of the case gets caught on the edge of the chamber. I found I have to run the bolt hard to minimize it

Here is a 3 shot group at 75 yards from my savage 93r17 btv. Shoots lights out even with a cheap Nikon 3-9x40. If I do my part it will shoot close to 1Moa if not under out to 100yds. Prolly not as nice as the other mentioned but don't over look it if your on a budget.

Attachments

• 20200405_170707.jpg
    20200405_170707.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 64
Barrel Length has nothing to do with accuracy. In general, the shorter the barrel, the less chance of flaws in the tube. Length only increases velocity, to a point.

Here is a 3 shot group at 75 yards from my savage 93r17 btv. Shoots lights out even with a cheap Nikon 3-9x40. If I do my part it will shoot close to 1Moa if not under out to 100yds. Prolly not as nice as the other mentioned but don't over look it if your on a budget.

This is going to replace a savage thats been shot out. its been used on 7 years of prairie dog hunts and its earned its retirement. Thats why i dont want something super nice like an anschutz, is that i know it will get abused :). it sounds any of the choices, ruger american, cz, or tikka will be good choices.

Reactions: Claybuster715
Take this for what it’s worth.

I have
Tikka T1x (22lr)
Ruger American 17hm2 (predator version)
Cz 457 MTR with a 17hmr barrel
And have shot my FILs savage 17hmr

I would say the tikka and CZ are the most accurate and well made out of the bunch. The savage probably shoots better than the ruger but I still would buy the ruger first because the action is rougher than 80 grit sandpaper. The Rugers action is the smoothest but the trigger sucks and it’s not as accurate as the CZ or the Tikka.

Between the CZ and the tikka it’s a tough call. If you’re not going to pull barrels and swap things around then the tikka probably is better. The CZ has the best trigger of the bunch and that helps a ton.

Reactions: raider1v1
Take this for what it’s worth.

I have
Tikka T1x (22lr)
Ruger American 17hm2 (predator version)
Cz 457 MTR with a 17hmr barrel
And have shot my FILs savage 17hmr

I would say the tikka and CZ are the most accurate and well made out of the bunch. The savage probably shoots better than the ruger but I still would buy the ruger first because the action is rougher than 80 grit sandpaper. The Rugers action is the smoothest but the trigger sucks and it’s not as accurate as the CZ or the Tikka.

Between the CZ and the tikka it’s a tough call. If you’re not going to pull barrels and swap things around then the tikka probably is better. The CZ has the best trigger of the bunch and that helps a ton.
Thank you!