• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new AR15

TheLion

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
I was thinking about a Windham Weaponry AR15. Anyone have opinions on them?

CDI-L.jpg

Or recommendations for the roughly $1200 price point. I will be installing either an Aimpoint or Eotech on it, still have to determine which I truly want. I would like the rifle to be good to go other than the optic. The WW I'm looking at in that picture is gtg in my opinion as to what I want as the base rifle. I may switch out the trigger eventually, as I hear WW has trigger issues and maybe the grip. Otherwise, I don't want to do anything to it.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Re: Looking for a new AR15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if no replies I'd head to arf.com for that one, welcome to the hide.</div></div>Oh god, don't send ppl to barfcom!

TheLion; If you're looking for opinions, I'll give you my .02.
The g/f was looking to buy an AR last Saturday night. At Cabela's we examined various manufacturer's products. I would rate Windham Weaponry as producing a fairly standard product. We saw nothing to differentiate it from other ARs. The g/f did not choose it because Windham only has 1:9 barrels, & another manufacturer offered several enhancements at the same price.

Bravo Company makes some top notch stuff. Daniel Defense and Colt make good products as well. I've not had any experience with Windham. As long as you get a good barrel, it all comes down to how you want it setup. If you are going to start replacing stuff right off the bat, just build.

There are way too many choices out there! The thing I like about this rifle is the only change I'd make immediately is adding an optic. Otherwise, it's setup just how I want for my 2nd AR. I'll take a look at the recommendations you guys made and see if anything hits my mark for this particular rifle.

Well, got my new rock chucker. After the transfer fee the price of the rifle was going to go up so I just went ahead and got a Colt LE6940 and went with Trijicon acog. The combo cost me a pretty penny for my budget, more than I was planning to spend but I suspect I'll be highly happy with it
smile.gif
Planning on hitting the range tonight to take it for it's first dance.

this is easy,

1st things first, and this is my recommendation.

Your bolt carrier group (bolt and bolt carrier) are the beating heart of your gun. Get a gun that comes with a mil spec BCG. Second most important thing is the barrel. Get a good barrel, something with a 1:7 twist.

as far as names for ya that you can get for under 1,200

Spikes
Colt
BCM
S&W

there are plenty of others, those are just some that I know for sure off the top of my head. Don't let other people tell you what web sites you can and cannot go to. There is a metric butt-load of information out there and all you have to do is go look.

Save a little more money for a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, v5 LW.Don't let the list price get you down,I've seen a few in the 1.300-1.400 dollar range this week shopping around.If you ever go to sell it you will see why.Spikes+BCM have similar offerings that will hold there value a little better than your choice.
Man what a first post.

I would get a S&W MP15 before what you're looking at.
Other than that, I'd get a Smith & Wesson lower from Buds and have the upper from BCM.

Lee.

For that price point Bcm will be your best bet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, got my new rock chucker. After the transfer fee the price of the rifle was going to go up so I just went ahead and got a Colt LE6940 and went with Trijicon acog. The combo cost me a pretty penny for my budget, more than I was planning to spend but I suspect I'll be highly happy with it
smile.gif
Planning on hitting the range tonight to take it for it's first dance. </div></div>
Your much better off with the 6940 than with the Wyndam which is just a Bushmaster under new management and name.

bought my wife a windham. think it was 875. good looking rifle to begin with. trigger seems to be singlestage and about 5#. no creep and good letoff. finish look like it will last and chrome lined bore and bolt carrier. seems like a lot of gun for the money. i have a high standard and it,s not near the gun the windham is. don,t think you can go wrong picking one up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winterhorse290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bought my wife a windham. think it was 875. good looking rifle to begin with. trigger seems to be singlestage and about 5#. no creep and good letoff. finish look like it will last and chrome lined bore and bolt carrier. seems like a lot of gun for the money. i have a high standard and it,s not near the gun the windham is. don,t think you can go wrong picking one up. </div></div>

I'd be interested to see if Wyndam is using Mil Spec parts like the Colt 6940 and other Colt's do.

Good choice, just for FYI
my buddy bought a windham and we took it to the range. if was well built, shot very well, and had much better fit and finish compared to the bushmasters we had 10 yrs ago

LMT can be had for around a grand if you buy the upper and lower separate . I can't see why at that price point anyone would even buy anything else to be honest. BCM and DD are gonna cost you a little more, save you'r money tho.

Wyndham is the old bushmaster plant. Looked at one a week ago. Bought the Rock River, instead,$1000.Was $1050, but I "Packaged" the deal, with an Acog 4X. Just my thoughts. i also LOVE my Colt.

Can't go wrong with a BCM or Colt and you might have a little cash left over.