• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for a press for the .50BMG need input/help

Sulenski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2009
CA
First time posting here in the reloading section but here goes.

I am getting ready to start reloading for the .50BMG and have some questions before getting the rest of the equipment needed.

What I have so far is 2 die set from CH4D, Gracey case trimmer, Lyman powder funnel and trickler, CCI #35 primers and somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pieces of brass.

I still need the powder scale capable of 1500 grains, complete press setup(shell holder, priming setup etc), and powder measurer.

I am leaning towards the RCBS BMG press and Im wanting your guys input as far as how well it suits your needs and what not basically a pros and cons type of question I guess.

As far as getting the press where would you guys recommend going for a decent price for RCBS setup without the dies.

Are there any powder measures out there that you guys prefer for the .50BMG.

Any other input would greatly be appreciated!

Re: Looking for a press for the .50BMG need input/help

Any reason you need the scale to go to 1,500 grains?
There are many presses out there from OK to great. Just depends on what you want to do with it.
RCBS
Lee
Walnut Hill
Corbin
Hollywood
Home made etc.
As to primer setup you pretty much have 2 options
Factory = OK
M2 = Friggin' awesome + big bucks.

Prepare for lots of hours of brass prep. You will need a primer pocket uniformer as they can be all over the place.
Make sure you get a bullet sizer die if you are going to shoot pulled bullets.
Have fun with it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason you need the scale to go to 1,500 grains?
There are many presses out there from OK to great. Just depends on what you want to do with it.
RCBS
Lee
Walnut Hill
Corbin
Hollywood
Home made etc.
Factory = OK

Prepare for lots of hours of brass prep. You will need a primer pocket uniformer as they can be all over the place.
Make sure you get a bullet sizer die if you are going to shoot pulled bullets.
Have fun with it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793 </div></div>

Dunno why I am looking for a 1,500 grain scale other than over kill I guess no reason in particular. I could get a scale that doesnt go as high if they measure more accurately or are easier to obtain.

I checked out the presses you named above and found that the Lee presses need a thread adapter to allow non Lee dies to work with their set ups.

The Corbon and Walnut Hill presses IIRC are Swage presses and thats something I have no idea/experience in.

Hollywoods from what I have heard are the cats meow if you can find them. Are they still around as all I have seen are used ones up for grabs and for a good chunk of change I might add.

Any idea where I could find an M2 primer setup? And would the RCBS primer swap out easily with the M2?

BTW I checked out the thread you linked and see your shooting a windrunner M96. Are you shooting DTC? If so you have the same rifle chamber I have LOL and I would love to get more info on load data etc.

I've reloaded hundreds of rounds on my RCBS Ammo Master with no issues at all. I've kept it lubed up and its as smooth as when I got it. I also use the same press (with die/shell holder adapters) to reload for .223, .308, and .300wby mag.

Scale-wise I just got an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo and absolutely love it. Quick and reliable. It is a 1500gr scale but that is overkill. Really all you need is one that will go to 750gr or so as that will be enough to sort bullets and brass (if thats what you want to do).

The swage type presses are not just for swaging. They work very well for reloading.
Yes I am running a DTC. All of the reloading data transfers directly over from BMG. There is a small difference in case capacity (DTC is a little bit larger) but everything you do with the BMG is the same with the DTC. You just have .010 off the trim length and of course the process of fireforming the cases. You need to make sure you do a second trim after fireforming as it will change and the change can be different based on case manufacturers.
I love my Hollywood. Used ones are hard to come by so if you do find one jump on it. I know someone getting out of the .50 scene that may be selling all his .50 related equipment.

I load on a RCBS 50BMG press and it's adequate for the job. I bought the press kit with dies etc. Hornady and RCBS are the same press with the only difference being Hornady's Lock and load feature and red paint. I don't see the RCBS press listed by itself, only kits. I do see Hornady's press listed press only. The Hornady press comes with 2 LnL adapters and also the primer RAM Prime unit. I see it here: http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...=50CAL_Products
I recommend the 1500 grain scale since cases weigh 800 plus grains and bullets up to 750 if you want to weigh and sort. You will need a primer pocket uniformer such as K&M's uniformer. Also a 50 bmg case mouth deburr tool and some method of removing primer crimps. If I had it to do over I'd go with Hornady for the quick change lock and load feature. I'm satisfied with the RCBS 50 bmg press but it could be heavier duty. The bases of the Hornady and RCBS are aluminum. No problems though with mine. As far as a powder thrower, since I'm not loading large numbers, I just weigh every charge of powder. Quick and easy on an electronic scale. Have fun.

I think the Redding UltraMag press will also handle the BMG, not that there's anything wrong with an RBCS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Factory = OK
</div></div>

Actually 3, Dillon makes a primer very similar to the M2 but much less expensive. That M2 stuff is just retarded expensive.

I have the RCBS press and have been pretty happy with it. I just bought a chargemaster as well, but have only used it for some small batch reloading so far. I wont be loading any 50 with it for a couple of months. I also have a Denver Instrument scale.

Dillon makes a .50bmg primer seating die how much more accurate is that die over the primer set ups that the hornaday and RCBS presses come with? Their website states that it can load or more consistant and uniform primer

Hopefully uncle sam wont take all of my return money and I can get the last components I need to get started for .50cal reloading LOL.

As far as fireforming goes I have a few of the m33 projectiles and am looking to get more so I can fireform all the brass I have. I have seen auctions on gunbroker pop up every once in a while but mostly for APITs which are a no no in CA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon makes a .50bmg primer seating die how much more accurate is that die over the primer set ups that the hornaday and RCBS presses come with? Their website states that it can load or more consistant and uniform primer</div></div>

I have not used either of the high end units to compare to my RCBS. I am satisfied with how well my press seats primers now, and am in no hurry to blow big bucks on a primer seater. I will never notice the difference.

Thanks guys for the input!

I am hoping to get a good tax return from uncle sam so I can have funds for purchasing the rest of the reloading components and get started hopefully rather soon.

I was wondering to you guys shoot the Winchester powders at all I see a few places that have the .50cal and 20mm powders for a good price as compaired to 5010 or the like

Little known fact:

The Walnut Hill press won't resize .50 bmg nor will it seat bullets; it doesn't have enough throw to do either. I bought one due to a similar internet thread wherein someone said that this press would reload the .50 bmg. It looked like a Corbin minus the bearings and high price tag, so I ordered one.

I will say that the Walnut Hill press is well designed, hell for stout, and works fantastic for resizing pulled bullets, but I wish I'd have known that it wouldn't meet my needs earlier because I would have gone a different route (Corbin).

I bought an RCBS off the classified section here, but won't be able to use it until I redeploy.