• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a small backpack

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I carry a traditional book bag to work every day as a place to put my change of clothes and my EDC. And I would like a replacement, preferably something with MOLLE strapping so that I can expand it with extra pouches. The biggest requirement though is size. I want it to be comparable to my bookbag, nothing huge, even hiking I don't carry that much extra stuff.

Basically the Eberlestock promo got me thinking about it, I have been wanting to shoot off of a pack lately, and my gf has been asking me for holiday ideas, so I was thinking "why not replace my beat up bookbag with something a little more multifunctional".

Not sure if still available, but my unit issued me a Camelbak HAWG Max Gear 13 years ago and it's still my favorite backpack today. Gotta look up the old military issue style one not the lame civilian market one.

Smaller then general backpacks but surprisingly roomy. It has seen much use thru many deployments, hikes, trips, motorcycle/bike rides and still as good as new.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I looked up the maxpeditions on amazon, where I saw the 5.11 rush pack, which is about the size I am looking for, with the ability to add on if necessary. I will look through all of the other brands. =)

Not sure which size rush pack you're looking at but my favorite EE/EDC pack is the first spear exigent circumstance.

-bladder pocket
-removable shoulder straps - includes straps to mount to PC or other body armor or as single strap bag
-beaver tail between main and external compartments is enough for a helmet, small tent and pad, other items in stuff sacks
-the quality of every stitch is perfect

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*FirstSpear*::*Packs/Bags/Cases*::*Exigent Circumstance Pack

I have the 5.11 Rush 12 which is about the size of a typical backpack. Rush 24 gets into 3-day pack area and Rush 72 is just huge.

MOLLE 3 day assault pack.
They're heavy duty, made here and you can find them all over for under $50

I have the camelbak HAWG and the rush 12 love them both. the rush is just a bit bigger and probably closer to what your wanting

I have the rush 12 too. I like the chest buckle and compression straps to tighten up the load. I wouldn't trade it, but I don't have anything much to compare it to.

Check out civilian labs or hazard4.com...I have one of their "bug out" style bags. Well made.

+1 on the military camelback hawg. I have a well built Drago pack (maxpedition style knockoff) that is nice for EDC. I carry it while hunting and appreciate how narrow it sits on your back.

Had the 5.11 RUSH 12. Really well built and comfortable. Then I got on a minimalist kick and replaced it with a Hill People Gear Tarahumara. Has the best shoulder harness I've ever had on a pack. Very thin with almost no padding, but three inches wide to distribute the weight. I've carried about 40 lbs in it comfortably. A little small for what you're looking for maybe, but they make a bigger version now called the Highlander.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...uctDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/48/Default.aspx
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...uctDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/25/Default.aspx

Last edited: