• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for action that locks bolt handle closed

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
I am looking to build a "go to" rifle. I like having tools that I am familiar with and using them a lot. I understand you need different rifle for different things but I'm looking for a primary "hunting/short stalk" rifle that I can also use in F-class, steel match or take to a class. The matches are for practice and building confidence in the system to make shots on game. I do not plan to win an F-class match with this rig nor do I have a desire to shoot any steel/tactical matches beyond a couple locals a year. I'm listing requirements, and wishes below. Please share thoughts or guide me in a new direction if I'm missing something.

Rifle requirements:
-100% drop safe
-Bolt can be locked closed (stalking/hiking)
-Durable/rugged (sandy environment, riding in trucks/buggies kids dropping chips on it etc.)

Wishes:
284 win/280
Barrel heavy enough to take to a precision class
Manners/McMillan/kmw mini chassis
Controlled round feeding
DBM
Barrel under 20"
Energy to take whitetail/pigs at 750yds
12lbs with scope and sling

Acceptable:
6.5creed/7mm-08
Up to 15lb w/scope & sling
Push feed if reliable feeding and ejection
Box magazine

Current options I know
-AI AT - meets all but weight, CRF & stock
-Sako TRG - not CRF, not 100% sure on drop safe
-Win M70/SPR - not sure about durability in env./ Have to build
-Ruger Hawkeye - not sure about durability in env./have to build

Thoughts?? Am I missing any actions?

Have considered a JL LRP 07 but not sure they are practical for the application. They shouldn't lose rounds but I feel they are less safe than a bolt in a vehicle. (Can just partially open bolt.)

Last edited:
If you could build that rifle. You might make a good chunk of money

It's a lot of asks

Mausingfield with a 3 position trigger ?‍♂️

Reactions: Steel head
Tikka T3x locks the bolt shut, 70 degree bolt throw, smooth action. CTR has 10 round box mag and calibers you want. 6.5CR, 20" barrel, threaded for brake or suppressor.

Edit: it's not a controlled feed action, but the CTR mag's feed lips are long and do control the round until the bullet and neck of cartridge are well into the chamber.

Last edited:
why controlled round feed? Will you be cycling the action upside down? Militaries around the world don’t use controlled round feed on bolt actions or semi auto rifles and pistols. This criteria alone would shut out most contenders. I am curious is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: tree man
why controlled round feed? Will you be cycling the action upside down? Militaries around the world don’t use controlled round feed on bolt actions or semi auto rifles and pistols. This criteria alone would shut out most contenders. I am curious is all.

Mostly I like that you can't double feed if you don't close the bolt all the way. I guess I just like the idea of CRF and not having a round loose in the chamber if I break the bolt for transport. It's not 100% necessary by any means just a wish in a "perfect" action.

788 is clunky AF with no trigger options. From the list, I'm only coming up with a model 70 or fn action with a shitload of gunsmithing.
Someone needs to develop a 700 trigger with a safety that locks the bolt. That is definitely on my list of wants. Until it happens I will deal with no locking bolt. Savage has a locking bolt, but is lacking in many of the other areas of requests.

Also, as the op said, he could build on a Ruger 77 but it would take a bunch of Smith work to get to the level he seems to want to be at there as well.

In my mind, a no expense spared custom on a model 70 cf action done by someplace like lri would probably get the op where he wants to go.
I don't think there is a good Lego gun custom action option that checks all of his boxes. A custom m70 is not a bad direction to go, but this place is so PRS focused (me too) that the first place our minds go is to custom actions with available prefits and chassis options. It sounds like, for this project, the old ways are probably better.

Reactions: Jeremy45
how about the remington 788, it fits some of your criteria. if i recall it had a locking bolt and was quite accurate.... but i don't think it came in heavier calibers. I'll have to check

addendum: just saw that the rifle came in many calibers including:

A cursory glace shows the 788 may have had some durability issues. I'm looking for a rifle a little more hardy than that I believe.

Montana Rifle Company makes Model 70 style actions. Your essentially looking for that.

MRC

If your willing to drop the CRF then you can find the older 700's which have a bolt lock on them. Here is one on a 280AI that was built on a 6 digit action. I kind of liked the feature since it was built as a hunting gun so I never bothered to remove/replace it. It even still has the 2 piece thing on the top side of the trigger. ETA: There are probably M40's still around in use as old as this action so its definitely a rugged design.

Attachments

• IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
M70 & LRI seem like the way to go.

PBWalsh I didn't realize the 3 position safety was an option from defiance. It looks nice but it's expensive!!

I guess if I have to true up an M70 that might be a mute point though.

MakeSawdust, I don't shoot enough to worry too much about changing barrels. Maybe 500rds/yr plus a class if I make one. Also, I think if LRI does the work he can probably keep all the dimensions and send me a replacement barrel even for an M70?? And since I'm not wanting a chassis I just have to get it in the stock once, no Legos needed ;-)

A prefit for a 70 is a no go last time LRI commented on the idea. Believe me, if I COULD get prefits for a Win 70, I’d already have another. I love these actions.

The Defiance options are pricey, but it cost to go custom with custom options.

788 is clunky AF with no trigger options. From the list, I'm only coming up with a model 70 or fn action with a shitload of gunsmithing.
Someone needs to develop a 700 trigger with a safety that locks the bolt. That is definitely on my list of wants. Until it happens I will deal with no locking bolt. Savage has a locking bolt, but is lacking in many of the other areas of requests.

Also, as the op said, he could build on a Ruger 77 but it would take a bunch of Smith work to get to the level he seems to want to be at there as well.

In my mind, a no expense spared custom on a model 70 cf action done by someplace like lri would probably get the op where he wants to go.
I don't think there is a good Lego gun custom action option that checks all of his boxes. A custom m70 is not a bad direction to go, but this place is so PRS focused (me too) that the first place our minds go is to custom actions with available prefits and chassis options. It sounds like, for this project, the old ways are probably better.
Just fyi....timney makes a 788 trigger so there are options

Bighorn Origin and a stock of your choice....(no need for a locking bolt...quite the opposite actually).

Ask yourself why a locking bolt isn't more common; most want to be able to unload a rifle with the safety engaged. Hunting/stocking doesn't (IMHO) require a locked bolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGR1953 and kthomas
Bighorn Origin and a stock of your choice....(no need for a locking bolt...quite the opposite actually).

Ask yourself why a locking bolt isn't more common; most want to be able to unload a rifle with the safety engaged. Hunting/stocking doesn't (IMHO) require a locked bolt.
I could care less if the rifle is off safety when loading or unloading. Be mindful of the trigger. My pistols have no safety either and I carry them round in the chamber.

i used to think that a bolt lock didn’t matter, but I have had my bolt lift up on my Remington 700. I needed to make quick shot and the trigger didn’t set off the rifle. I realized my bolt was lifted and pushed it down. My Audad walked behind scrub brush by that point. Bolt locks aren’t necessary but I have been burned without one.

A three position safety like on a Winchester locks the bolt and pin but allows for loading and unloading with the safety on. Unsure if the M700 swing safeties on the market also lock the pin.

You can snag a complete FN SPR for pretty cheap in the PX (like $1k) and have it rebarreled to 6.5. All come with a McMillan stock from the factory and some already have the DBM. There’s also a current thread going with a dude thinking of selling his.

I run an FN A3G w/ a CDI bottom metal and like it. No issues with feeding reliability and I used to get it pretty dirty in bed of my truck in NC and TX. I’ve never stalked with it, but I don’t see there being an issue if I did. The only issue I’ve ever had was me being an idiot and failing to check my scope base’s screws. Not the fault of the system and nothing some loc-tite couldn’t fix.

@Edds

How is your action? Asking about smoothness when dirty, and did you spec it a certain way to work in bad conditions.

My action is still in the box waiting to be barreled. I didn't ask for any special features.

Tikka ctr locks the bolt with the safety on, the ctr mags are great and there are a lot of people making prefit barrels for them if the ctr contour is to lite for you. There are also drop in or custom stocks for them. McMillan and manners both make stocks for the ctr and krg is running a limited number of ctr bravos. I got one and love it, only thing about the tikka is no crf, but if your shooting f-class you have to single feed the rounds and a crf mite not do that.

My Savage Model 10 and 11 have a three position safety with the bolt locked in the rear most position

Find a Sako 75 or 85. I think it checks the box for a build. Or a TRG if money isn’t as much a priority.

Reliable, smooth, proven out of the box.

All factory 3 position safeties that I am aware of allow the rifle to be unloaded while on safe in addition to locking the bolt down.

I understand you can stalk without a locked bolt but I've unslung a rifle on more than one occasion to find the bolt partially or fully open. I prefer knowing it's closed and locked when I'm dragging it through the brush.

Sako TRG trigger safety engages a pin that locks the bolt closed and the firing pin in the cocked position. Even if the trigger some how released the pin would retain the spring tension and stop the firing pin.

Reactions: Jeremy45
Sako TRG trigger safety engages a pin that locks the bolt closed and the firing pin in the cocked position. Even if the trigger some how released the pin would retain the spring tension and stop the firing pin.

Thank you! I have not had first hand experience with a TRG and couldn't find exactly how it worked on the Sako site.

Last edited:
Thank you! I have not had first hand experience with a TRG and couldn't find exactly how it worked on the Sako site.

The tikka’s work in the same function.

My browning A-bolt locks the bolt shut when the safety is on. I never confirmed the pin height that it blocks the firing pin or not.. I would assume so, but you know what they say about assume.

I could care less if the rifle is off safety when loading or unloading. Be mindful of the trigger. My pistols have no safety either and I carry them round in the chamber.

i used to think that a bolt lock didn’t matter, but I have had my bolt lift up on my Remington 700. I needed to make quick shot and the trigger didn’t set off the rifle. I realized my bolt was lifted and pushed it down. My Audad walked behind scrub brush by that point. Bolt locks aren’t necessary but I have been burned without one.

lol! That’s nice (that you could care less)...sounds like you need to learn how to hunt...but that’s just my inner voice, speaking out loud. Doh. ?

Just a quick update.

I picked up a customized FN SPR from the PX. Going to take a little more smithing to get to where I want it but it's a good start.

I also read this article over the last week. I am thinking about getting a "hunting" profile barrel spun up for my AT in .284 and trying that as well. Between the two rifle I'm sure I'll end up with the rifle I want but it's going to take some tinkering for me to decide.

Anyone else run a straight .284 in a short action Accuracy International?

I believe the OP has solved their problem, but I’ve been doing a little research into adding a three-position safety to a “regular” Remington 700 action and have found three makers. I don’t know anything else at this point (quality, function, fitting, trigger compatibility etc):

Gentry https://gentrycustom.com/Products/3-PositionSafeties/tabid/6360/Default.aspx

NECG https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=6141

PTG http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remi...tion-safety-shroud-kit-for-remington-700.html