• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for advice AR15 SBR piston out to 300

tmpohuski7

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
MD
I am looking at building an AR15 SBR piston to suppress, to shoot 1 to 2 moa out to 300 yrds. I have not had a piston or SBR yet so I am clueless about barrel length to accuracy drop off for 223. My can threads on 4" recessed over the barrel. Any help of advise would be great.

Re: looking for advice AR15 SBR piston out to 300

are you fixed on building one?... if not look into POF. Top notch rifles that can be had as short as 10.5 i belive and all are piston driven...will shoot better than 1 MOA

LWRC SBR hands down. The M6A2 SBR is a great host for a can.

my 2 cents

really want to build, so I have all the specs I want from the start.

If your can covers up four inches of barrel, I don't think you can go much shorter than 12.5 inches or you will hit the gas block. I'm not sure why you are dead set on a piston when you are shooting suppressed anyways. The round will be trying to extract while it is still under pressure still, that is why the case turns black. All you really need to do is regulate your gas flow. Try an adjustable gas block like Noveske offers.