• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for advice on rifle options

aervin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2013
Maryland
Hello all.

I'm new to the long range game as in I've only ever shot my .22lr out to 100 yards. But I'd like to get into a bigger rifle that can reach out further. I don't hunt and all I'd like to do is put holes in paper and maybe some plinking style targets. The ranges around my area only go out to 300 yards so I would be looking for something that can hit that without much issue.

The first issue I have is, I'm not really sure what caliber to even begin to look for. I would want it to hit 300 easily but it doesn't need to be a round that can really reach out further if most of the distance will be useless. I've been thinking 308 would be a good start, maybe go with 223 though. Honestly I just need advice on what caliber would be best suited for 300 yards and in, not super expensive to shoot since its just for a hole punch, and easy enough to get ammo for.

The next step would then be to narrow down the options for which rifle to choose. I posted within this section because I would want it to be a bolt rifle, preferably with a detachable magazine. To go along with my desires for ammo, I'd want the gun to perform well out to that distance and not break the bank, especially since this would be my first gun of this sort.

If there is any other information that would help clarify what I'm looking for or make it easier to provide advice please ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for taking a look and thanks for any advice!

.223 and .308 will easily handle 300 yards. for just paper punching, there's not a lot to distinguish one over the other. it is cheaper to handload for .223.

Remington LTRs used to be a great way to get started. They come (came?) in both .223 and .308 and very accurate. The only downside I found with the .223 LTR was the 1-9 twist wasn't enough to stabilize the longer bullets needed to get out to 600+.

Later, get one of the aftermarket DBM systems out there (pacific tool and gauge sells one for the BDL inlet). A DBM is not required to get your feet wet, and have you priced mags recently?

Practice with good ammunition is more important than more gear. Learn to reload if you don't, already.

As an aside, 300 is still short range. Don't limit yourself. Example - the .223 will reach out to 500m with the right bullet, but it lacks sufficient energy to knock down the ram in metallic silhouette matches. If I could have just one do-it-all rifle, I'd go .308 because it can do most everything you will ask of it.

^ agreed. I may look into some of the rifles Savage puts out. It has been my experience they have put out some damn accurate rifles "out of the box". If you are recoil sensitive, 223 will easily get out to 500yds with the right round.

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of leaning towards 308 to start but wasn't really sure. I wouldn't want to limit myself as you said but I'd have to do some searching to find places to shoot out to further distances. Recoil isn't really a problem for me, I've shot 7.62x51 NATO full auto before without issue. I have not priced mags at all, honestly it never entered my mind to do that so thanks for the heads up. I've heard good things about the Tikka rifles, TC rifles, and Savage. My 22lr is a Savage Mark II-FV and I have been very pleased with it. Because I would be using this rifle for on the bench, weight isn't really a factor to me. Any recommendations for other companies to look at? Thanks again

dont forget about the 204 ruger i have taken mine out to 500 yds on paper and held 1 moa i love hunting with my 204 9 inch drop from 100 to 300 hold back line and watch them fall. wind? no problem at 4000 fps its not in the air long enough to make a huge affect on the poi.