• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for an F class scope, Burris XTR II?

Dougnutz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
Western Washington
I know the question is asked every day so I did try to google the forum into submission but there is just so much info. My google foo is not adequate.

Anyway I am looking for a scope to top a longer range rifle (300 WM ). Mostly it will be used for f class matches 600 yards or so. But I need it to be able to reach out to ELR distances up to a mile maybe 2k yards.
I have two ffp scopes the better of the two is a vortex diamondback 6-24. It's doing ok not great though, I really want something better. I really like the ffp but I could be convinced otherwise.

My budget is around 1k.

I found a Burris XTR II 8-40 that seems like it is a solid piece and would last me a while. It stretches my budget a bit. So I am considering an Athlon ares etr or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Sightron 10-50 SIII. You'll see many in f-class and benchrest. But theyre only 50moa of elevation.

You may need an adjustable base to get enough cant to shoot that far.

Or you're going to have to drop way down in the mag range to get enough adjustment for 2k. Few scopes in the sub $1k range that have good glass and high mag.

The extra magnification seems really nice. When talking 50MOA adjustment I assume that is roughly 25 up or down from a center right? so I have a 30 MOA rail which would give me about 55 elevation (depending on where zero actually is) ? Is my understanding correct?

If I trust my ballistics calculator I would need at least 65 MOA for 1800 yards.

Yes.

You may be better served with a 5-25 with 100+ moa in a 34mm tube. There are plenty of those around to read reviews on.

Or build something else for elr, 300prc? (Everyone needs just one more).

The extra magnification seems really nice. When talking 50MOA adjustment I assume that is roughly 25 up or down from a center right? so I have a 30 MOA rail which would give me about 55 elevation (depending on where zero actually is) ? Is my understanding correct?

If I trust my ballistics calculator I would need at least 65 MOA for 1800 yards.
Yes, it will depend on where exactly your scope actually zeros at on the rifle, but for the most part half up and half down

50/2=25 up and 25 down.
30moa rail makes that 55 up and -5 down, you will possibly (likely) having issues getting a 100 yard zero. You will also be really close to the bottom of the adjustment range if you arent maxed out entirely.

If you know that youre always going to be shooting 600 then you can just ignore the close in stuff that youll never have to dial down for and just make the necessary adjustments to get you in the xring at 600.

Personally, I would want more travel in my scope. If you know that youll need 65 moa then I would get a scope with at least 80 moa of travel just to have a little safely cushion.

Reactions: Dougnutz
Yes.

You may be better served with a 5-25 with 100+ moa in a 34mm tube. There are plenty of those around to read reviews on.

Or build something else for elr, 300prc? (Everyone needs just one more).
"Honey, I'm going to buy another rifle because my scope does have enough adjustment". :)

F Class with a .300 WM?
Seems a bit overkill. I think you'll end up with a good case of the flinch after shooting so many rounds prone.

You may want to consider the Sightron 8-32. it offers 70 MOA adjustment, which is a significant improvement.
The top end of 32X should be more than sufficient for your intended purposes.
It is a SFP scope, which is usually preferred for F class as the reticle covers less target at higher magnification.
Go with the zero stop model.

300 WM...no brake....long strings shooting 215 bergers or heavier = PAIN and FLINCH

believe me i know

"Honey, I'm going to buy another rifle because my scope does have enough adjustment". :)
I just tell mine I'm building it because I want it.

If you're going to compete in f-class I'd concentrate there, unless you have some land I don't know you'd find yourself shooting past 1000 very often.

Reactions: Dougnutz
Sightron would be the only optic I’d look at in the sub 1k range for F class. Fantastic resolution for the money

I have shot a few F class matches and decided it wasn’t for me. I enjoy PRS way more. It seemed to me that it was a contest of who was a better reloader and could afford the best equipment. When I did shoot I shot tactical class with a 308. The guys are right about recoil. Even after shooting 20 rounds with a 308 and no brake ( they are not allowed in F class) you feel it. A 300wm would be brutal after three strings of 20 consecutive rounds. Another thing I found out is in F class magnification is your friend. Think seeing impact holes at 600 Yards kind of magnification. I was shooting with a 20 power optic and it wasn’t nearly enough. I know the winners that day were putting all 20 rounds in 3-4” groups. One of the guys I was scoring put 4 consecutive rounds through the same hole. It was pretty impressive.

F Class with a .300 WM?
Seems a bit overkill. I think you'll end up with a good case of the flinch after shooting so many rounds prone.

You may want to consider the Sightron 8-32. it offers 70 MOA adjustment, which is a significant improvement.
The top end of 32X should be more than sufficient for your intended purposes.
It is a SFP scope, which is usually preferred for F class as the reticle covers less target at higher magnification.
Go with the zero stop model.
I wasn't too clear. F class and longer range on a 300 WM, A different rifle for f class and elr but one scope. I would only shoot ELR twice this year (probably) the rest of the time I would use it monthly on a 223 ruger precision or 6.5 if I find a good deal on one. I don't have the $$ to really buy more than one so I was hoping to find a scope that could serve both masters for a while.

I've shot F-Class one or two times a year with a stock Remington 700 LTR and a variety of scopes from fixed 10 power to a Leupold 6.5-20. Rarely needed high power because of mirage. I don't think I ever missed the 10 ring because of the scope, I missed because I didn't notice or correct for wind.

F-Class and ELR usually require somewhat different things out of a scope.

Which is more important to you?

ILya
I suspect I need to be educated here. I feel like most people want lots of magnification in f class. I am new. I went with $350 scope and had a tough time. Especially when I looked through my partners golden eagle. Wow. I also want to shoot ELR some, which also seems like it would benefit from lots of magnification. So as long as the scope would work for elr I thought it would work for fclass too. Am I wrong about that? are the optics really that different? Please set me straight.

Hey mate as others have said sightron sIII is the go to for f class for the majority they offer excellent clarity. Many national and probably world level events have been won with the sightron sIII. The 10-50 model is most used but as a compromise for f class and a bit of elr I would go with the 8-32. Mine has 79moa of adjustment (advertised 70) on 32 power it offers excellent clarity especially for the price point.