• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for an opinion on factory .223

Mr. Greenjeans

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
New to the site. I have really been pouring through the info to increase my limited knowledge.(So much at once) I am looking to purchase a new .223. Looking to keep my shot range under 600 yards. Really want a 16" barrel and a light weight system to carry around. Have been looking at LaRue pretty hard but would appreciate any info. Would like to keep price within the $2,000 range.

Re: Looking for an opinion on factory .223

Give the POF a good look. You can get a good used one and be well under your price range, get some goodies to put on your new toy.

+1 for the POF 415.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222244787

pix109456918.jpg

pix059971553.jpg

pix877270644.jpg

not to hijack but at that price range isn't the Knights Armament SR-15 a very decent deal on a very good gun...

It also comes with several high quality accessories.

Please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm buying one tomorrow.

The Knights Armament SR-15 is a good package for sure. I don't have one but a few range buddies do. They seem to be straight shooters and a good out of the box package for the money esp for those not building their own.

I'm a spoiled brat....a poor-assed spoiled brat though
wink.gif

Maybe a factory rifle if its cheap or used and you test it and its cheap too. I've, as of late, become frustrated and depressed with the fit, finish, and polish of factory guns. I'm mainly referring to AR 15's.

Some shoot very well. I had a RRA Varmint upper that did, and a bud had a DPMS Lr that did too. Another friend had one that did NOT. They hit n miss (haha). Cookie cutter, look the other way assembly line worker pissed off cause his wife left last night or she cut him off or he's sick and out of sick days...... Suspicion suggests the guy turning the chamber doesn't really give a hoot - much...maybe?

Small shops like those on here, and others, rely solely on the small number of guns they build and whether we are satisfied with them. Do you think Remington cares whether we are satisfied? No, or maybe, but not as much as Cross or Clark or Scott Madesha.
Does Roscoe? Yes! One man. It's a way of life and he's accountable. He does not have a billion dollars and a corporate shield of liability of protection, thus his product is beyond reproach: flawless. DPMS? Right! Dream on, dude.

Corporations are in business for one reason. Profits.
One man shops are in business for several reasons. Profits. Satisfaction. Pride. Love. Accomplishment.

Consequently, a factory produced AR comes NEW with:

an unpolished feedramp,
chamber,
boltface,
carrier rails,
extractor face,
overgassed gas system,
overpowered ejector spring,
trigger that sucks cow shit from the bottom of a rusty water trough,
bore tool marks perpendicular to the lands and grooves.....
let's see, what else I and others seen?
Twist too slow? Nearly always!
Firing pin hole too large? Always, unless its an Armalite AR10 I'm informed!

I've gotten grumpy I supppose - perhaps an Andy Rooney of sorts -about guns, but I don't like getting scammed by stiff shirts who live in mansions because I was suckered into buying their enferior product which they actually know little to nothing about. I'm not trying to tell others what to do, just what I do, which is what others do here - spout off
wink.gif
It's yo cheese. Knock yer self out, bro. Me? No thank you. Done that and had enough.

Unless the gun is from a small shop where its fit, finish and polish receives individual and caring attention, or its an AI or the likes, a new gun is not like new tires. Tires are round generally, usually remain inflated until pierced by a foreign object and have little tits that look good new; new factory guns come crappy ruff from the start and don't look good to me.

can't go wrong with a Colt 6920 for under $1200:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222357363

mil-spec & top quality everything. they don't batch test bolts, it has a 1:7 twist rate for those heavy bullets if you wanna hold MOA @ 500+ yds, in my opinion it's the best value for a factory rifle. you can build same for less or better for same, but colt makes a damn good rifle. Stag's a good budget brand, built one of their kits using a billet lower for my dad & it's super light & really accurate. has the 1:9 twist though...

anyways, with your price range you could order that 6920, an aimpoint micro in a larue mount & come in under budget with one of the lightest ARs around...here's m Rock River Arms LAR15 i built up from a factory rifle (it weighs twice as much as my dad's carbine CQB setup, lol):

dsc01855bb.jpg

Daniel Defense builds a good carbine for not a ton of money. Flattop, 16", medium weight barrels. They shoot MOA with match ammo. For a bit more money you could have a noveske/larue/bravocompany upper with a stainless barrel (will be a little more accurate) and mate it to your lower, or just get a complete POF rifle.

There are many, many solutions out there and odds are you could get what you want for half your proposed budget.

+++++ 1 for Larue. It's hard to find a more accurate AR-15 for the money. My Larue out shoots just about everything out there!!! In my opinion, if you're looking for accuracy stay away from gas piston AR's.

Well I took the plunge and bought a Sr-15 !!!!
I was impressed with its liteness and several of the high end options already on it. I'm sure I paid to much at $2100 but I was happy. I'm barely on my way to the range in a few hours and will try it out and get back here.

Hey Casey, glad you tell it like it is. Say I choose to try and build one instead of buy one. I really wouldn't know where to start. I mean I understand how ARs work and the design. Where my knowledge is lacking is the different manufacturers and their product. I mean every website makes offers and guarantees about their design and why it's better. Every one on this site has their favorite and I just try to follow the majority of opinions. I want to spend my money and get it right for once. It's not that I have a bunch of money to blow, it's just that I've learned to spend money and buy quality and I usually don't regret the choice. I want to get this and it make me say I would never sell that gun! If I have to build it, then so be it. Its not that I can't build one, it's that I'm more scared of buying something "guaranteed sub-MOA" then shooting it and saying that was a stupid purchase and a waste of $500. I'm not going to waste everyones time and ask about every lower and upper. I just figured that starting with a good rifle would prevent me from changing something later? I'm a young buck and I wanna listen to the wise for once.

You're in luck! Check out the complete video series at Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video

The best way to do it is to start with a good base and build from there. So make sure to get a good upper and lower because EVERYTHING starts there. Personally, I like the Sundevil uppers and lowers. It's what I run and I've not owned or shot a finer set.

Next is GET A GOOD BARREL! Lothar Walther have spectacular barrels for the dollar.

The next big thing in my opinion is trigger. There are many many many options. Get something good and adjustable. Spend money here so you don't feel the need to mess with it again. I have Giesle DMR triggers in a few systems and love them.

The list goes on and on but that is the base I would focus the majority of my money on out of the box. Pretty much everything else is a quick bolt on item that is super easy to change out (AKA upgrade later). Truth be told, pretty much everything on the AR system is easy to change out but this way you have a great base weapon on which to build. This way will just allow you to spend less on some other parts in order to meet your budget.

You can build a hell of a nice weapon for 2k. Check out the videos, ask questions, and enjoy!

building an AR15 lower is easy, and buidling an AR15 upper ain't much harder, but does take a few extra tools. both require armorer's tool ($40) or castlenut wrench ($20), but the upper requires a vise, armorer's tool (castle nut & barrel nut), & upper vise block ($40).

most lowers are basically equal if properly manufactured, simply with different roll marks stamped on them, some prefer Safe/Fire others Safe/Semi & others the pictogram H&K style like used by Spike's tactical. the difference in lowers can vary widley though. some are billet, which means they cost way more & look pretty. many billet lowers do have extra features like magwell bevel that "ray charles could hit", or checkering on the front of magwell, or integrated "enhanced" trigger guard for big gloves, or best of all the upper receiver tension screw. i think tactical innovations even makes a cast lower with the tension screw.

mega machine shop, larue tactical, tactical innovations, global-tactical, sun devil, and many others make various models of billet lower. they cost about twice as much as a regular cast lower & they really aren't worth the extra dough to most folks...as you can see the pictured rifle in my earlier post is a regular old RRA lower, not billet.

one thing to consider, though not entirely honest, would be to build a stag kit ($609) & buy a Colt lower (if you can find one). Then if you go to sell the rifle, everyone will think it's worth way more just because it says Colt on the side, lol

noveske, POF, daniel defense, & LaRue are all excellent & you couldn't go wrong with any one of em, i see nothing but good advice all through the thread (not counting my posts)

Greenjeans, your good attitude will take you far in many ways and in this case, get you a better carbine than most guys.

Occurring to me is the obvious; small shop builders who also participate here on the Hide will have a strong incentive to build a flawless machine for a customer who is also a Hide member. Imagine the hale storm should you get a lemon!

I wasn't suggesting you build your own, but you could, with a little help, or not, especially if you study Zediker's builder book. RND, Sundevil, Spikes, DPMS and all the rest are good enough....if the holes are too big or out of alignment you'll know fast. I happen to like the first two and Olympic Arms, myself. Colt, I suspect, does not care about us so I don't care about them. Just a little resentment. But if you can find their bolt, get it.

If you build, I think use Tubb CS springs all over, a Young carrier and where ever you get the barrel (Krieger/Satern) have the smith or barrel folks install the barrel extension, provide the bolt and headspace it. How about one of these guys like Scottmilk or White Oak Armament? Crown, profile, port and install the block and tube. Since he'll have those parts, give him your upper charging handle and carrier. Gun won't shoot right if these partseses aren't precisely married. And you'll have someone to bitch at this way.

Trigger? Geissele. I thought something was wrong with mine during installation and I called the ph no provided and left a message but I figured it out. Geissele himself returned my call. I like that kind of treatment. And by the way, the product is flawless and Zediker says its the best. The hammer falls 50% faster than others. Its the one. Accuracy Speaks trigger should you insist on a single stage. Again. One man shop. Scott Madesha.

You're in for alot of fun.

Check out www.zediker.com.

I'd look at offerings from Noveske and LMT as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, if you're looking for accuracy stay away from gas piston AR's.</div></div>

Would you care to explain further? My rifle has flawless accuracy, and it's a piston rifle.