• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for AR optic recommendations?

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Just built my firs AR around a 18” ballistic advantage .223wylde barrel, took it out yesterday to zero iron sights and it didn’t blow up in my face so I’ll say is a good start.
I want to mount an optic on it, I would like at least 10-12x I dont see me stretching this guy out farther than 650 maybe 700 yards. I would like to keep around $600 if possible. If you guys can recommend some options I would really appreciate it.

I'd probably pop a SWFA SS 3-9x42 on it and call it good. It is not too heavy for a FFP scope and will do everything you need.

If you want something with a little more magnification, I think Doug from Cameraland still has some 4.5-18x44 Bushnell LRTS scopes.

Another potentially good option is Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44.

If you want something really light, SWFA SS Ultralight 2.5-10x32 is a surprisingly decent scope and the BDC reticle works well with 5.56

ILya

Natchez is blowing out a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50 for $420. Lot of scope for the money, although not particularly small or lightweight.

Reactions: Islas82
I'd probably pop a SWFA SS 3-9x42 on it and call it good. It is not too heavy for a FFP scope and will do everything you need.

If you want something with a little more magnification, I think Doug from Cameraland still has some 4.5-18x44 Bushnell LRTS scopes.

Another potentially good option is Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44.

If you want something really light, SWFA SS Ultralight 2.5-10x32 is a surprisingly decent scope and the BDC reticle works well with 5.56

ILya
Natchez is blowing out a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50 for $420. Lot of scope for the money, although not particularly small or lightweight.

I have the SWFA Ultralight, the 4.5-18 LRTS and the 2.5-15 Forge on various ARs. I'd avoid the Forge and either spend up for something like the LRTS (a FFP Sightron SIII or 5-25 FFP Burris Veracity) if you want the magnification, or spend less on the Ultralight if you want manuverability.

Reactions: Islas82
"Another potentially good option is Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44. "

This.

I have the SWFA Ultralight, the 4.5-18 LRTS and the 2.5-15 Forge on various ARs. I'd avoid the Forge and either spend up for something like the LRTS (a FFP Sightron SIII or 5-25 FFP Burris Veracity) if you want the magnification, or spend less on the Ultralight if you want manuverability.
What dont you like about the forge?

Never used bushnell scopes before hows the glass for that price range
I picked up a 3-18 when they had them a while back for the same low price. I have honestly been shocked at how good it is for the money. Biggest downside is a fair amount of CA/purple fringing on high contrast edges in bright sun...but that really does not bother me. Others "issues" are made in China and its MOA and not MIL, if you care.

Upsides are full tree style reticle, locking turrets, simple and effective zero stop, included throw lever, sun shade, and caps.

I have mine on a 6.5 Creed AR10 and easily pound steel at 8oo yards.

What dont you like about the forge?

The eye box is on the tight side and the CA is fatiguing. The CA is pretty bad in the upper quarter of the magnification range is very sensitive to eye position and parallax adjust; if either are slightly off it's really bad. It can be very fatiguing to stay behind for extended time periods.

It is feature rich, and the turrets are pretty nice. Although, these were available for $400ish with a 30% rebate earlier this year. I think mine was ~$315 delivered after the rebate.

The LRTS is noticeably nicer in almost every way; including the sexy FDE...

I picked up a 3-18 when they had them a while back for the same low price. I have honestly been shocked at how good it is for the money. Biggest downside is a fair amount of CA/purple fringing on high contrast edges in bright sun...but that really does not bother me. Others "issues" are made in China and its MOA and not MIL, if you care.

Upsides are full tree style reticle, locking turrets, simple and effective zero stop, included throw lever, sun shade, and caps.

I have mine on a 6.5 Creed AR10 and easily pound steel at 8oo yards.

Mostly this^^^.

Last edited:
How did we get to this? Well, if you are morphing into the 3-15 world, go to Natchez and buy the Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP EMDR illuminated for $499. Best damn value out there. I have one and am considering another before these scopes are gone. This is a Japanese manufactured optic. It weighs 27 oz tho.

Reactions: powdahound76
For reference, my 2.5-15 Forge weighs 31.8 oz with sunshade and caps.

This isn't a bad option on an AR. Just sayin

How do the sig tango 4 scope stack up against the swfa 3-15 and the weaver 3-15? Natchez has them at a pretty good price right now.

How do the sig tango 4 scope stack up against the swfa 3-15 and the weaver 3-15? Natchez has them at a pretty good price right now.
Europtic has it for 439

I will say the lrhs and weaver 3-15 are both darn good buys.

The weaver lacks some the high speed features that you will have to pay attention to.
Zero stop being the key, and 5 mil revs.

Darn useful and a good scope if just target or pdog shooting.

Sig Tango 4 4-16 has horrible glass and turrets, I would not recommend.