• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for free float gast piston handguards. Please help.

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
Sorry about the typo. Can I some how edit my heading? Or can an Admin fix that for me please? Thanks.

Hello,

I'm trying to find some free float hand-guards that support a low profile gas piston block. Preferably something in the 13.5 length or so. Now this would be for the standard 16" carbine length Adams Arms gas piston setup. But I'm working on more than one GP build so I would like different options. Unfortunately the diamondhead vrs-t (which is my absolute favorite) doesn't support the adams arms gas piston kits; only the CMMG ones, which are a lot more expensive. But I'm loving the Fortis handguards which I'm pretty sure support what I need and if I can't find anything else I'll probably go with that. I"m was just wanting something more in the $150 range. Please let me know of any info you have. Thanks.

P.S. I'm set on gas piston for these builds. Thanks.

Last edited:
If your using retro fit gas piston go with the new xlp or whatever they call. It is supposed to fit under almost all the free float rails. Your probably going to need to up the amount you spend on a hand guard. 150 for 13 inch is not much. Look at midwest industries. They will be close to your price.

Your just making it hard on yourself by going gas piston, for no benefits.

If you like the key mod system, Primary Weapon Systems' handguard would be an option for you. I believe it would work with the Adams piston system.

Just curious, but how are you going to adjust the gas on an XLP or any other AA gas block if you have it on a carbine length set up and cover it with a 13.5" handguard?

If you arent planning on adjusting it and end up wanting to cover it anyway, you need a handguard with at least a 1.6" internal diameter. I fit one under a KAC URX 4 (1.55" internal diameter) but had to use a boring bar to machine out material inside the rail to allow for the XLP to fit and function as designed. If you dont have your barrel yet, id highly recommend going mid-length gas with a 13" rail as that would allow you to still access the adjustment mechanism on the forward part of the gas block. Some larger diameter handgaurds would be JP, Samson MFG, Seekins, Odin. Probably a bunch more, but those are a few that i can think of off the top of my head.

Here's the XLP under a URX4.....
67C5EA51-90D0-4593-ABDD-709D6FD58F7C.jpg

D90ED618-7F6A-4C39-86FE-E84EDD10A087.jpg