• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for good hearing protection.

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I'm looking to upgrade from my Wal-Mart plugs and impact sport electronic muffs. Does anyone have recommendations for higher end ear protection? Do the moldable in-ear ones work well? I'm looking to spend about $300 total for a good set of in ear and ear muffs. I always wear double ear protection.

I dont think you can touch in-ear fors less than 600-700 bucks if you see an ENT and have them get you into the cheap end of the ESP stuff. I say standard plugs plugs and some MSA Sordins.

Yes go for standard foam plugs, 3M makes some really good ones with high db rating.

Then get a set of Msa/Sordin Supreme Pro x, with gel ear cups. at 285$ they are within your budget.
Only better ones i am aware of is the big and bulky 3M, but find them uncomfortable when shooting.
Triad tactical has them in stock, and they're as good as it gets really.

Although not electronic, I use custom molded in-ear plugs and they work great. Cost is generally less than $100 a pair. I replace them about every four years or so. I use the same plugs for both shooting and motorcycle racing.

Edit... For about $100 more you can have an Audiologist add speakers with a mic. I suppose you could add the VOX switch inline if you needed to.

Last edited:
I've read great reviews of the MSAs, however am concerned about their 18 NRR. I don't enjoy shooting with just the impact sports with their 22 NRR so 18 seems really low, especially for the price.

I've been using Pro Ears Gold for the last 4 years. They have a 26 NRR rating. I have been very happy with them. I still use foam ear plugs underneath them but I can still hear conversations very well. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't have "auto-off". I have run down a set of batteries or two when I forgot to turn them off. They can be found for under $300.00 on sale.

Electronic hearing protection, wether our ESP's or muffs, the electronics have nothing to do with the protection. The electronics just let you "hear through the device". The general rule when it comes to doubling up protection, i.e. plugs and muffs, it that you only increase the protection by 5db over the higher rated device. So, if you have a set of custom molded plugs with a 26db NRR and the Sordin 22db NRR muffs you will have a 31db NRR. Plugs plus 26db NRR ProEars is the same 31db NRR.

Personally I think that custom molded plugs provide the the most reliable protection since it made for your ear versus the "one size fits all" products.

I got a set of custom molded plugs for $60 at the outdoor show in Harrisburg pa. I think it was $60 for plain $99 for ones with speakers to plug into a device such as an iPod, and the electronic ones were like $170. I like mine so much I'm having a set made just to use at work. Wearing foam roll ups everyday 12 hours a day gets old.

Set of Surefire EP7s or some of the higher rated foam plugs worn under a set of MSA sordins or the Impact Sports is the ticket for me. Just turn the sound up on the electronics and they will help you hear conversations a bit easier.

The custom molded non-electronic earplugs work well, I had a set for several years that I used for shooting and riding motorcycles. Over time they do break down a little and lose their tight fit from my experience, but they work very well. When they insert the material into your ears it's an odd feeling and you have to sit still for quite some time while they harden in your ears. Lost one of the earplugs from my last set so I started experimenting and found the above combos seem to do just as well. I think mine cost about $50 to make for the last set.

Monkey, I don't know about you but when they made mine it felt like he was trying to touch my brain. It was all good until the 2nd ear went in then it was super awkward. Almost claustrophobic(and I don't ever get that feelining) nothing you can't fight through though.

i use the surefire black rubber ones with the little flap openings. they will allow you to shoot anything short of tank operation with great hearing protection , but
still let in enough noise that i can hear someone talk or leaves rustle or water running in the woods. et some ,i tihink they are about 15 dollars a pair.

PelTor Tactical Pros are excellent muffs. About $200 online. Check 'em out.

Where are you getting th custom molded plugs? I found one place online, but are you going to a local audiologist for it?

Yes go for standard foam plugs, 3M makes some really good ones with high db rating.

Then get a set of Msa/Sordin Supreme Pro x, with gel ear cups. at 285$ they are within your budget.
Only better ones i am aware of is the big and bulky 3M, but find them uncomfortable when shooting.
Triad tactical has them in stock, and they're as good as it gets really.
+1

Where are you getting the custom molded plugs? I found one place online, but are you going to a local audiologist for it?

Any Audiologist or Hearing Aid person should be able to make Custom plugs for $100-150. There are some mobile people that make the "instant" customer molded plugs but not many go to the tactical type shoots. You will most likely find them at Skeet, Trap & Sporting Clays shoots.

I've found these to be more comfortable than even custom plugs and they have the best NRR I've seen. I use these alone or sometimes paired with my Howard Leights (like under a metal roof while others are firing or when the guy next to me is using a brake). These were rated at 30 db NRR, but the newest ones are now rated at 33db NRR. I use the corded ones so that I do not lose them. They are washable and reusable for many uses.

Skull Screws:
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Skull-...474355&sr=8-2&keywords=skull+screws+ear+plugs

Or, if you want fancy storage box:
http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Screws-...474355&sr=8-1&keywords=skull+screws+ear+plugs