• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Looking for help with long-range optics

explosivesilence

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2011
Michigan, United States
Hello all,
I am new to long-range shooting, and am having trouble choosing an optics setup. I have read all about what features are normally looked for, but when it comes to choosing the actual manufacturer and model I at a complete loss. I was looking at a couple different scopes like the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm F1, or the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 Illum. TMR Reticle. I have now determined that the Nightforce is out of my budget, which was sadly the one I was leaning towards. I'm working with a budget of $1000.00 (give or take a couple hundred), also the rifle I've decided on is a Savage Model 10 FLCP-K .308, unless anyone can point me in a better direction for about the same price. Thanks.

Re: Looking for help with long-range optics

Why oh why? Please use the search engine so you don't ask the same question for the 50087654780543 bazxilluontrilliongabillzigillion'th time.

Thanks bunches,

figure out what you want to do with your scope (hunting, target, night shooting...), then figure out what is the most you want to spend on a scope. THEN, research using this linkhttp://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en. When you have a rough idea of what manufactures and model you think would fit you, go find a dealer around or someone to look through it first hand.

Not trying to jump on your case or anything as im a youngin around here too.
good luck.

Valdada IOR scopes are in your price range, and I have been very happy with the ones I have used. Excellent glass and they have all tracked very well.

Take a good hard look at the countersniper optics. They're good for people who can't see the viper PST which is in damn near every thread on this forum.

The first thing I would do is write down all the things you want in a scope from most important to least important. If your unsure how important something is to you then you need to try and figure it out. Example: which reticle? Solution: Shoot several different reticles at white targets then at targets in the woods that blend in. Shoot those reticles in bright daylight and at dusk. If you can't shoot different reticles then shoot yours and figure out what you like and don't about it. Do the same thing with each thing on your list then by looking at your list the question you have will be answered for you.

See, I understand what your saying, but I already know what features I want. My issue is: for example four different manufacturers' have scopes with all the features I want for all about the same price. Like the four brands I've been looking at are: Trijicon, Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell. Again, I'd like a Nightforce but can't afford it at this time. So what would ur suggestions be between those four?

Just pick one, and be done with it. Should the particular model you get not satisfy you, sell it at a small loss (price you gotta pay,literally), and use the money toward another optic choice.

Should the next not float your boat; rinse and repeat.

Just save up and get what you want , the NF if that is what you want.

USO for me , have a look at them you might just be surprised at the price.

The Sightron SIII are good as well and I think they come out with 1 or 2 more reticle choices.And they are in your price range.

Well Thanks all for your help. I believe I've come to a decision on rifle and scope. The only thing left I have to decide is 6-24x or 4-16x. I will be using a Savage Model 10FLCP-K .308 rifle with a Vortex Viper PST FFP (either 4-16x50, or 6-24x50). Any last sugestions on which zoom would be better for 400-1000 yards?

I would go with the 4X16. Also the new Bushenll FFP scope are very nice.