• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for ideas. Rear sandbag or monopod??

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    Looking for ideas for my LMT MWS. It has a sopmod rear buttstock. I would really like a rear buttstock monopod, but I don't think it is going to happen with this sopmod buttstock and I think I would need to replace it for a rear monopod option. Was thinking maybe a rear sandbag also. Not sure what I would like to do and I'm looking for options.

Mostly target shooting from a bench and might prone here and there. I really like using my harris bipod. Any ideas with pics would be great.

Re: Looking for ideas. Rear sandbag or monopod??

I can't speak to the monopod but I just got a Triad wedgie rear bag. I really like it. Can squeeze the bag with my left hand to drive the gun.

Triad Wedgie:

A sock with some sand in it.

I really like the tab gear rear bag. Not overly large and has two straps to easily carry or hook on your gear.

I've been thinking of trying an accushot monopod though.

The monopod is great for the field, but if your doing more bench shooting I would go with sandbags. I have a momopod on my grendel and love it for out shooting in the field and so on, but when im shooting for groups I use bags. My 2 cents.

I had a monopod since it seemed to go better with my PRS stock. I ended up buying a bag. As far as I can tell, you use the monpod, but then keep your fist on the bottom for really fine adjustments. I tried to use the monopod of wood benches for sitting and my shooting mat for prone, and the lack of a hard surface would mean the gun would settle and I couldn't ever get real control on the rear. All the videos I found online showed extending the pod, but using your fist at the bottom for final adjustment. That works, I just think a bag is just as easy to do, about as fast and more accurate since the bag not your hand is touching the gun.

Just my experience.

I have never cared for a mono pod. I've had them & it seemed like a good idea but the reality didnt seem to match expectation.

+1 for the Triad Wedgie. Work great with a little squeeze.

I have a Red Tac rear bag I use with my POF 308, it has the VLTOR Emod stock on it, pretty similar to yours. With a Harris bipod, the Red Tac is the perfect height stood on end(like a beer can) and is very stable and easy to adjust with a little squeeze. The bag is also light and small enough to carry or easily or hook to your pack. I'm happy with it.

I've never used a monopod, but after getting a rear support my shooting improved greatly.

I got a rear bag off midway USA that is pretty nice. I use it for both of my precision rifles and love it. It was only $30.00.

I have really tried to fall in love with the rear monopod...but either I am not a good enough shooter or I simply can't get my head wrapped around it as well as the rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The monopod is great for the field, but if your doing more bench shooting I would go with sandbags. I have a momopod on my grendel and love it for out shooting in the field and so on, but when im shooting for groups I use bags. My 2 cents. </div></div>

Same here

I only shoot field onditions anyway and not from a bench so the monopod may be worth trying. What length has been working best on the PRS equipped rifles?

LonewolfUSMC video is a great application of the monopod and certainly worth reviewing if you have the same question as the OP. Operating the monopod is very similar to how we ran our M40's way back when. We would grab the rear sling swivel and use it as a 'handle' by twisting our wrist and or opening and closing the support hand. We started using sand socks when we were camped out in position for awhile to help ease some of the fatigue in the hand. The monopod can be a useful tool but there is a learning curve that needs to be worked through to appreciate it. With the wide variety of rear bags out there, size, shape, density of the fill, and material of construction along with features you may end up spending more on bags than you would on the monopod trying to find the right one. My first suggestion is to try some other folks set ups. Then get both, the monopod and a couple bags that fit your needs. You will find that they both have a place in the shooting gear toolbox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of it is personal preference, but make sure you understand how to use a monopod. Many folks don't know how to get the most out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSKTcDEDQE&hd=1 </div></div>

As soon as I opened this thread I thought of posting your video. It was very helpful in making my decision about rear bag or monopod. Keep up the great videos.

I have a B&T Monopod on my DPMS 308B and it was instrumental in zeroing my scope and iron sights. It not only looks great on my rifle but it’s been worth its weight on the investment.

got back from the range today to test out the monopod.... wasn't totally impressed in comparison to my half ass'd sand bags I've been using as of late. Guess I'll look into purchasing a "wedge" style sand bag I'm thinking. Oh well, can't say I didn't try!!!

never been too happy with monopod, maybe it is me, i'll stick to bags.