• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Looking for insight from le pro's

6.5labs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but why not. I live in sw Michigan and have seen several news storys about the Michigan State Police having a shortage of officers. They are doing several recruiting camps throughout the summer. They say all that is needed is a high school diploma and a clean record, witch i have both.

I have researched the msp website and have a reasonable understanding of the process. I was hoping someone would have some insight and maybe have some first hand experience with the process. I am unsure if this is a road i want to try to go down. I never had any interest until a friend of a friend(who i cant seam to get a hold of) joined the msp and enlightened me that police are not just a bunch of assholes that want to write me a ticket.

I feel that i could be a good candidate for this. I am 24 years old and with some time back in the gym i am in pretty good shape, but I am a little hesitant to pursue with out any related collage education.

I know it is an open ended question but any insight is appreciated. I figured the hide is the best place to find the right people to help me.

Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for the punchline.........this is a humor thread, y'know.

Considering the fact that the place is called "Maggie's Drawers," it only makes sense that a thread belonging elsewhere would get started here.

Not sure what your looking for but if you passed all the tests your next step would be a training camp (think boot camp). Then when your done they can post you anyplace in the state ( Detroit).
Schultz

Are you sure you want to shoot free ammo, if yes then go for it. At 24 you need to try something to be able to pay taxes and keep us safe.

"Looking for insight from le pro's

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but why not. I live in sw Michigan and have seen several news storys about the Michigan State Police having a shortage of officers. They are doing several recruiting camps throughout the summer. They say all that is needed is a high school diploma and a clean record, witch i have both.

I have researched the msp website and have a reasonable understanding of the process. I was hoping someone would have some insight and maybe have some first hand experience with the process. I am unsure if this is a road i want to try to go down. I never had any interest until a friend of a friend(who i cant seam to get a hold of) joined the msp and enlightened me that police are not just a bunch of assholes that want to write me a ticket.

I feel that i could be a good candidate for this. I am 24 years old and with some time back in the gym i am in pretty good shape, but I am a little hesitant to pursue with out any related collage education.

I know it is an open ended question but any insight is appreciated. I figured the hide is the best place to find the right people to help me.

Thanks in advance. "

Skip college man, if you can't spell it correctly now you are not going to last very long. The force could always use some more good guys with good intentions. Just use spell check on your reports.:D

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

A witch is a person that casts spells and such, collage is a visual arts form.

College education is good, and can be beneficial.
The Academy, however, teaches you practical application, not theoretical application.
As a bonus, they normally pay you while you are in the academy.
I prefer to get paid to learn instead of paying someone else to teach me.

With a few exceptions the best COPS I ever worked with weren't college graduates: they had ACTUAL life experience that allowed them to relate to and understand the people that called them for help (some had obviously done some time in college, but ended up doing some real WORK prior to joining the Dept). Now the good OFFICERS tended to be college graduates (and some had advanced degrees) and those guys could quote regulations, say all the right things to all the right bosses and get themselves promoted. They also usually ended up screaming for help from the COPS once a citizen wasn't nearly as impressed with them as they were with themselves.

There were obviously exceptions to this, but understand that college would teach you NOTHING AT ALL relating to law enforcement, even/especially in a CJUS curriculum.

What you really need to evaluate is whether or not it's "right" for you. There are typically 3 main "groups" of guys who go into LE, very much like the military:

a) The guys who have a "calling" for the work and truly love it and put their hearts and souls into it and can't imagine a better job in the world.

b) The guys who "need a job" or are "looking for a job" and the idea of government benefits for life without really needing to do very much for that steady paycheck sounds pretty good.

c) The absolute retards/dipshits/psychopaths that should NEVER be allowed into a position of power over another human being. Some of these guys get screened out during recruiting; some get hired and commit atrocities of all kinds against the people they're supposed to be helping; some continue to get promoted way beyond their level of incompetence and become your boss.

NOW, if you DO join MSP and stay in SW Michigan, the biggest thing you need to remember is to NOT arrest my ass as I'm leaving Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer; because that would REALLY delay me on my next stop at Three Floyds brewing down in Indiana.

Good luck with it. I personally NEVER had an interest in writing people tickets, but there are those guys who love the traffic side of it (their mothers didn't love them enough when they were little) :D

Last edited:
Good advice so far. I was in the same boat, "All cops are abusive assholes, so why would I want to be a cop"...

The fact that you think (or thought) that way (even though it's a skewed view of the situation) means you have a better than average chance of being one of the good cops.

Do it. If it's for you, you will wonder why you ever considered other jobs. If it's not, you will have valuable training and insights into human behavior that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

And just to keep this in mind.... DO NOT get a degree in Criminal Justice. It was fine 20+ years ago but now IF you are going to go to college get a degree you can fall back on. If you are going to be LEO they will teach you the law and how to police much better than a professor that has NEVER been on the road.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Thanks for the input guys. That makes me more interested knowing i could have a chance without a college (not collage) education. I was starting to worry i was going to get 250 replies telling me i cant spell and i posted in the wrong place. Sorry i thought this was more of a general discussion part of the forum. I will do some more research next time i have an oddball post.

Thanks again guys. It was good to here from some people who truly know the business.

Get to know some of the local politicians and donate to their campaigns, cover up any gang tattoos you might have, get any felonies expunged, and gain a bunch of weight...no wait, disregard that. I was thinking of the departments around here. Just keep doing what you're doing. When you become a cop you'll learn to laugh about how true that is sometimes. But, you'll know who those turds are and know you can't count on them

And just to keep this in mind.... DO NOT get a degree in Criminal Justice. It was fine 20+ years ago but now IF you are going to go to college get a degree you can fall back on. If you are going to be LEO they will teach you the law and how to police much better than a professor that has NEVER been on the road.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Agreed, if you want to be a LEO and go to college; get a degree in something completely outside of law enforcement. I was lucky to have actual LEO's and parole officers teach the college courses I took; but, that is not the norm.