• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for LOUD steel rimfire targets

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
What do you guys recommend for some loud rimfire targets? I'm sure my best bet is thin steel (1/4" or so) on a target hanger. Will be looking for targets in the 4 - 6" range.

I'll be using the target at ~300 yards with an airgun.

Thanks!

if you have a steel supplier near you go in and ask for the "rems" or remnant pieces of steel. They will normally sell them to you cheap. For example, the one by my house sells all rems for $0.50 a pound. Mild 1/4 inch steel will work for a .22. Drill a hole and hang em.

sheet metal shops will have tons of drops(scrap pieces)they will give you or sell you cheap.

Thinner targets "ring" louder, given the probable KE and terminal velocity of projectiles, I would go thinner than 1/4 "

1/4 or 3/16 AR-400/500 will ring pretty loud. Put a valve spring behind the target in a solid mount will also help make them ring. Hanging them from a conveyer belt will make them ring less.

Reactions: Rthur
Birchwood Casey World of Steel Spoiler Alert is a good loud target for Rimfire. It has a plate behind the target so that upon impact the target CLANGS into the back plate. Not sure if your airgun has enough energy to make them clang but if it does it will be plenty loud.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

For reference, this is the steel target I'm using at 200 yards, and it makes a pretty good "ting" sound when I hit it with a .22 pellet:

IMG_20181210_133808.jpg

I ended up buying the rimfire circle target set and a 8" circle 1/4" thick steel target from D-M targets. The previous targets that I bought for them seem to work really well with the airgun, they are very audible at distance and have nice little target stands that are included.

I plan on setting up the 8", 6" and 4" circle targets at 300 yards to see what this airgun can do. Will be good backyard ELR practice! The 200 yard target gets boringly repeatable when there is little to no wind.

Reactions: Statusquo
I have a 4"x8" .250 wall rectangular tubing that's 8"x8" that hangs from a hinged 1/4" rod that rings like a bell. The open ends are to the left and right, hinged rod is welded on the top so it hangs.

The wife gave me a MGM Rimfire KYL for Christmas. Its 3/16" thick, I'll let you know how it rings in a day or two
kyl.jpg

Reactions: Topstrap
What do you guys recommend for some loud rimfire targets? I'm sure my best bet is thin steel (1/4" or so) on a target hanger. Will be looking for targets in the 4 - 6" range.

I'll be using the target at ~300 yards with an airgun.

Thanks!

X-Steel has a line of 22lr specific targets cut from AR200. They're cheaper than centerfire rated plates and sound better:

https://www.xsteeltargets.com/rimfire-targets-s/124.htm

I've also seen some folks using aluminum plate for 22lr beyond 100 yards. The aluminum seems to hold up, and it moves and rings like crazy, but I don't know where you would find them for sale.

Just mentioning that if you could find old oxygen bottles, they make a very resounding and pleasant ding when hit, but you'll need to cut them in half. Cutting them at different lengths gives a different tone for each one.

So you cut the size kill zone you want out of steel and use that as a face plate and hang the bottle behind it with bailing wire.

KThomas, when are you going to come out and start shooting Field Target air rifle with the airgunnersofarizona club??? We are always looking for new friends that share our passion for shooting!!!!!!

From PCP's to ELR with big guns, I like it all and so does half our club. We'd have plenty to talk about!

Last edited:
if you have a steel supplier near you go in and ask for the "rems" or remnant pieces of steel. They will normally sell them to you cheap. For example, the one by my house sells all rems for $0.50 a pound. Mild 1/4 inch steel will work for a .22. Drill a hole and hang em.

Mild still is not loud. It gives a very low, dull, thud sound.

I have never found it to be too quiet. Its not like I am shooting my .22 at 700 yards. Also, steel suppliers sell other types of steel than mild steel. Up here the steel supplier often has HardOx in their scrap bin at 50 to 60 cents a pound. HardOx is very similar to AR500.