• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for my first firearm

Bow

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Hello all,

I’ve been lurking on here on and off for a while, and there are some fine looking pieces of machinery on here, very inspirational… so I’ve decided I need to ask some people… “In the Know.”

I’m looking for my first firearm, something in a .22LR. I’m not a hunting type; I am mainly looking for something to do some plinking and damage to paper targets. Since it is my first one, I am trying to keep the cost low, around $200 or lower. I also need some advice on a decent scope.

I am interested in a Semi-auto, can the ability to take a larger magazine, and I also enjoy the mechanical aspect of the tool, so I would like something that has room for expansion for development into a serious tack driver as time and money permits.

I believe my basic choices in this price range are:
Ruger 10/22
Savage 64
Marlin 60
Any others???

I live in extreme Southern Maryland, so my shopping choices are pretty limited (like Wal-Mart and a single bait/tackle/gun shop).

I am open to any and all suggestions, and sorry for the extreme new guy question.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for my first firearm

For a semi in your price range, I would go with a 10/22.

I agree with RMW...

Go with the 10/22. The aftermarket support for these things is incredible. I also think that everyone needs to own atleast one 10/22.

Pick what you like, here's what I did.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...385#Post2339385

Extended mags can be a pain, at least they used to be, I haven't tried any for about 15 years, so they may have made improvements. They tend to get in the way in prone position.

As for being a serious tack driver it does well and if needed down the road 10/22 aftermarket barrels are common and easily replacable.

Good luck, be safe, be responsible.

Every gun owner should have 10/22. Just an opinion.
When you get sick of it, customize it to fit your changing interests in shooting. The 10/22 has tons of after market parts, more than any on your list.
It's a classic.

Hey Bow,

Just a quick note. I started out with a semi (10/22) and loved it. I just developed some bad habits with it. Associate inexpensive ammo with a low recoiling semi-auto rifle and you have the ingredients to make bad habits. (I only speak for myself) I never had the discipline to make every shot count. If you have the discipline then yeah...a 10/22 is perfect.

In hindsight, I should've used a bolt in 22cal. I probably would've been less prone to throw out those Kentucky windage follow up shots. A bolt forces me to actually figure out the wind in lieu of that quick follow up shot. 22's are awesome because they can teach you to read wind at a fraction of the price. I was just too lazy and made immediate adjustments on the fly. If my round impacted 2 MOA left...I immediately adjusted and fired. If I spent more time reading the wind I wouldn't struggle as much as I do now.

Just somethin' to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bow,

Just a quick note. I started out with a semi (10/22) and loved it. I just developed some bad habits with it. Associate inexpensive ammo with a low recoiling semi-auto rifle and you have the ingredients to make bad habits. (I only speak for myself) I never had the discipline to make every shot count. If you have the discipline then yeah...a 10/22 is perfect.

In hindsight, I should've used a bolt in 22cal. I probably would've been less prone to throw out those Kentucky windage follow up shots. A bolt forces me to actually figure out the wind in lieu of that quick follow up shot. 22's are awesome because they can teach you to read wind at a fraction of the price. I was just too lazy and made immediate adjustments on the fly. If my round impacted 2 MOA left...I immediately adjusted and fired. If I spent more time reading the wind I wouldn't struggle as much as I do now.

Just somethin' to think about. </div></div>

Great point!
My advice for the 10/22 was more advocating for a fun gun, a plinker that you could customize.
If you want to be a "shooter" get a bolt gun to make every shot count. (by this I mean calculate elevation, windage, etc. to get first time hits every time you pull the trigger)

For a bolt gun I would recommend a CZ. Love those too. Good out-of-box quality, not too much needed for upgrades. Just a good scope and rings.

Both are great 22s but really different in uses.
If I want to have fun and plink, I go to my 10/22.
If I want to "shoot", I grab the CZ.

Thank you all for the outstanding information and opinions.

From what I've read, I guess I shouldn't rule out bolt actions, so what is the best bang for the buck in that category.

I believe Bolt actions can cost a few clams less, leaving more change for a scope...

If I go bolt, any suggestions?
I am hoping for something I can get local, and the shipping seems to be a hassle (and understandably so).

Bolts are great practice.

Here's what I know from research and my own guns
Anschutz - Top of the Line - and expense (never had one but hear they are worth every penny for accuracy. I would not spend this much on my first, second or third gun)
<span style="text-decoration: underline">CZ</span> - I own one and love it, no regrets getting one here. Out-of-box these are great and accurate with the right ammo. More expensive then Savage for more quality.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Savage</span> - probably the best bang for buck - Another Fan Favorite - Heard good thing about these too, lots of people here love them for good reason. Don't have one so I can't comment on much more than what I have read.

But really any bolt action will be good, people like ruger and marlins. I've had some trigger time with them. They all have their pluses and minuses. Look around find out what things you like about each. And go with one. It's like buying a car. They all will get you from A-to-B, some you'll like driving more than others. Some will be fast. One will feel just right.

The most difficult thing about guns is that it's hard to find out why some guns are more expensive than others and what you actually get for your money in terms of quality, accuracy, and durability.

for your 200 budget in a bolty a used savage, for a semi auto I will go against the crowd: get the 100$ marlin + iron sights (tech sights) or scope, and learn to shoot to it's limits, when you are ready to move up buy a finished upgraded 10/22 and move the marlin along

with 20/20 hindsight this would be my plan

Thanks,

Since I am looking at my first one, and with the many suggestions on here, I believe you all have a valid point where a Bolt makes you think instead of making pot-shot types of adjustments... I am leaning toward the Savage Mk II F.

It seems to be in the price range and has quite a few good reviews on-line.

George, which Marlin are you mentioning? I am thinking shooting is like playing a guitar.... Sure, you can start with the top-o-the-line equipped electric and make a lot of noise, but learning on an acoustic makes you work harder, and there for, a better player.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I am leaning toward the Savage Mk II F...
</div></div>

Great choice. You can't go wrong with the Savage Mk II F. I have one and love it.

That mark 2 will fit the bill just fine. I have had one for a few years now. LOTS of shooting time on it for little cost. Plenty accurate and put together well, especially for the cost.

Accuracy with wolf match is under a minute at 50 yards and usually will group close to an inch and a half at 100. Of course, groups are better many times, but they are rarely if ever worse than that.

savage markii Is a great rifle, but since you want a semi and possible builder. 10/22. there is not a 22 rifle out there with more options

Thank again gents...

It seems I stumbled onto another Possibility...

Marlin XT-22RZ and I'm researching that now.

Stork, Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward the idea that my first one should be more of a learning tool than a project.... that being said, If I find a great deal on a 10/22, I'll jump on it!

I think I have decided on either:

Savage MK II-F

or

Marlin XT-22RZ

I figure I'll wait for the Ruger 10/22 for the second one...
wink.gif

I do like the fact the the XT-22RZ already has a threaded barrel, in case I want to get a suppressor in the future, or add a muzzle break.

No store local to me has either gun in stock (gotta love living in Southern Maryland), so I have some more time to get suggestions, thoughts and inputs.

Thanks for all your help. You guys are a wealth of information, and a new guy to shooting like myself, really appreciates the opinions and information sharing, without any harsh comments that can come with internet forums.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

I personally know two people who have bought from these guys. Both had great experiences too. It's pretty much you order the gun, ship it to a local FFL to you (Buds has a list of preferred FFL's), and then go pick it up when it gets there. Different states have different requirements/fees/wait times, so it may be a bit different than here, but it's worth looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks,

George, which Marlin are you mentioning? I am thinking shooting is like playing a guitar.... Sure, you can start with the top-o-the-line equipped electric and make a lot of noise, but learning on an acoustic makes you work harder, and there for, a better player.

</div></div>

marlin 795 25$ rebate till end of year, brings it close to 100$ ( but do not bother using the factory sights)

I love my 10/22 and it is a lot of fun to go out and throw lead down range, but if you'd like to get into shooting for the best accuracy possible then a bolt action savage would be a very good option for you in your price range.

If you are just looking for cheap fun, get the Marlin 795, i have one and its a decent .22 for around $100. If you are going to customize at all, then you better just get a ruger 10/22. Personally i dont see the need in a bolt action .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sending downrange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally i dont see the need in a bolt action .22 </div></div>

Really???

What i meant was that i think that i prefer to shoot a semi .22
I have a bolt and a semi but my semi is almost as accurate and more fun for plinking.

Inexpensive 22's.

My recommendation would be for a bolt action, clip fed rifle. I like the very basic Savage MKII-F, but these days they may be above your price cutoff, bought as a new rifle. Unless you understand how to look out for wear, damage, and abuse that affects accuracy, your best choice will involve a New-In-Box rifle. There's a definite difference between 'inexpensive' and 'cheap'.

Greg

Thanks for all the input gents.

Because of THIS forum, I have gone from wanting a 10/22 I can modify the hell out of, to a Bolt model, where I can actually learn how to shot.

I never understood the "Spray and Pray" mentality anyway....

I am currently 1.5 classes away from finishing a master's degree, so I think that as I work toward the degree, passing the class I am currently in, will give me the motivation I need to finish the degree (you would not believe the amount of $hit I have gone through since December 2010).

I have decided to finish THIS class (the 0.5) I am currently in, before purchasing anything.

I consider it quite sad that I am about to be 40, and I can count the number of guns I have fired on 1 hand... (Crosman 760 .which I still have/practice with, .22LR Revolver (Grandpas), 12 Gauge(Friend back in the day), 1911-chambered 22LR-(Navy Boot Camp)...

I want to learn how to shoot.

Having a Japanese wife (they are a tad anti-gun over there) has not helped my cause, but I don't care, I still would like to learn how to shoot.I should have picked up this desire while still in Texas the last 15 years, instead of my current Maryland location... Guns where easier to get in the Lone Star.

I have decided that either a Savage MkII -? or a Marlin XT-22-? is in my future, but I am using it as a Carrot to survive/pass the current class I am in.

I don't want to be a gun owner, I want to be a shooter, and I believe there is a large different between the two.

So thank you for the advice, input, and thoughts, There is a reason I joined THIS forum, because Sniper know HOW to shoot, and that is what I am interested in.

Thank you for all the input, suggestions, statements of fact, etc...

Please keep any suggestions coming, I want to learn how to fill my 2nd amendment rights...
wink.gif

Bow, you've made an educated decision. And the rifles you picked are both good choices. I have both MKII's and the XT22, great rifles out of the box. Good value and very accurate.
The Marlin XT22 is about $200-here's mine...
009-11.jpg

It has a Walmart Centerpoint 4-16X40 scope($70)Weaver #12 bases,and Leopold rings($30). Around $300 total.
If you're looking at Savage, I'd go with the MKII BV. Heavy barrel, good laminated stock-around $300 plus whatever scope you want.
Best of luck and happy shooting!

Walt T,

That is a great looking setup. Pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

I'll have to see the difference between a wood and synthetic stock....

Thanks for sharing it.

What Bipod is that?

Winchester from Walmart,$40-works great.

Top,

Thanks for the links!

I'll check them out.