• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for optics recommendations please

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I absolutely hate buying new scopes. There are so many options and I've buyer's remorse more than once.

So as much as it pains me...I need a new scope for my bolt action 308. This is a simple utility rifle, currently hosting a PST2 3-15, that gets a fair amount of range time.

I've some extra money and would like to upgrade optics and move the PST2 to another AR rifle. The help I could use is in finding another scope with similiar features, maybe a little more magnification.

Ideally, I would like to stay under $1200.

Any thoughts, suggestions and snide comments are welcome.

Thanks

Brownells MPO 5-25x56, Tract Toric UHD 4-20x50, Delta Optical Titanium 4-24x50, there's a bunch others that are a "little" over $1200 (around $1400-1500, but can usually had on sale for the $1200).

Basically you're looking at a bunch of ED (extra low dispersion) glass made in Japan usually by Light Optical Works, LTD.

Reactions: JDB55
Brownells MPO 5-25x56, Tract Toric UHD 4-20x50, Delta Optical Titanium 4-24x50, there's a bunch others that are a "little" over $1200 (around $1400-1500, but can usually had on sale for the $1200).

Basically you're looking at a bunch of ED (extra low dispersion) glass made in Japan usually by Light Optical Works, LTD.
Interesting suggestions. Hadn't considered those. Thanks.

I think the “easy” answer would be to keep an eye out for a gently used Razor 3-18. You could keep the reticle you have now and add a little magnification.

There should be plenty of options within your budget though.

Reactions: thelaststraw
I think the “easy” answer would be to keep an eye out for a gently used Razor 3-18. You could keep the reticle you have now and add a little magnification.

Now that you mention that, I would agree to some extent. I went from the EBR7c reticle to the SCR2 and it's a LOT finer than the Vortex. It's not a problem but it may be to some. That and no illumination, but that's another story.

That would an easy upgrade. At least I know how to set the zero stop.

The Burris XTR3 3.3-18 is super hard to beat at that sale price under $1200. Thats new, not used.

Brighter glass, much lighter, and a significantly larger FOV than the Razor. The Razor is 14." And 46ozs, versus the XTR3 at 13" and 29ozs.

I've had these side by side before. The Burris has a much more attractive eyebox and sight picture. When Glassaholic did his review on this optic back when it came out, he said this scope was the best value out there at under $2k.

Seems like upping the budget a smidgen and getting a deal in a used Razor would be a really good upgrade for that rifle. I don't have much experience with the Burris offerings nor their warranty, but the Razor is a time tested and proven optic with great glass for the money

Reactions: Lumbeejake
The Burris XTR3 3.3-18 is super hard to beat at that sale price under $1200. Thats new, not used.

Brighter glass, much lighter, and a significantly larger FOV than the Razor. The Razor is 14." And 46ozs, versus the XTR3 at 13" and 29ozs.

I've had these side by side before. The Burris has a much more attractive eyebox and sight picture. When Glassaholic did his review on this optic back when it came out, he said this scope was the best value out there at under $2k.
I haven't seen the XTR3 line up close. I've got a XTR2 1-8 that I really like. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Birddog6424
With Vortex set to release the new Razor Gen 3's in a month, the used priced for Razor Gen 2's will probably fall to about your price range. I'd recommend patience and watch the PX exchange.

Look around the PX, during the winter it's nothing but cheap prices on good stuff.

Everybody throwing out scope recommendations... nobody has defined what "simple utility rifle" means or what an upgrade means to the OP.

Reactions: Thorbeast
In the OP he referred to moving the PST to another rifle. The new optic will be an upgrade and stay on the one the PST is on now.

Everybody throwing out scope recommendations... nobody has defined what "simple utility rifle" means or what an upgrade means to the OP.
Upgrade over PST2
Utility rifle to me is my 308 knock around piece. I used to run it in some 600 yard PRS style matches but mostly use it for range time. I enjoy reloading for it and bankging on some steel is a good way for me to let off some steam and relax a bit.

PA is out of the $1200 XTR3s, you could get on the email list but I'm sure that was a blow out price due to the new model coming.

Over your budget but still a great price, MKM with the "scopemas" code has the 3.3x18 XTR3 for $1521.

That MKM deal would get you a Cronus at a good price too if illuminated is a big deal. I've never look through one but the Area ETR isn't far off from my XTR3 to my eye. Haven't been to the range with them yet though. I was going to sell the Athlon at first but it's pretty nice so it's staying too. I imagine the Cronus may be more robust and perhaps even better glass.

Arken ep5 and put the other $600 towards something else you probably need
Yep. Why spend more when you don't have to? Just get the Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR or the new EP5 5-25x56 VPR. 👍🏼

Burris xtr3 3.3-18x50 on sale/used or Vortex razor LHT FFP 4.5-22x50 on sale/used if you need illumination or not is your answer between the two. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
The Arken lineup is not an upgrade over the Viper PST Gen 2. It definitely is one of the closest comparisons on the market for glass clarity, but if your budget is 1200 dollars, you would be dumb to buy an Arken, even if their new EP5 series is better than the older EP4 lineup.

Reactions: JDB55
Tract is about to release a new 2.5-15x44 illuminated scope here soon if they haven't already. Not really much difference in mag range but will be a little bump in glass and quality if they hold true to what they've done in that line, manufacturing in LOW Japan. Should fit your budget nearly exactly. Again if you can find one used I really can't recommend the Vortex razor LHT 4.5-22x50 for the glass quality and weight. I wish it was a 3.5-4 on the low end but the other features imo still make it a great buy.

Last edited: