• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for range in Alabama

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
I’m located in cullman, Alabama and I work in jasper, Alabama. Does anyone know of a decent rifle range within an hour?
Birmingham is an hour south and Huntsville is an hour north.

I can't say enough good things about this place

I have not been there in a little over a year because I moved, but I would shoot 5-6 days a month here for years. Prices reasonable, well maintained, not too many idiots being unsafe

Only downside is they max at at 100 yards, so any longer range stuff I went to the CMP in Talladega (no membership needed, just pay to shoot)

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
There is a (private, I think) range on the side of the highway right outside Bridgeport. The story I've been told is that it belongs to the rifle builder (dunno who this is....?) that also owns Big Daddy's Gun shop, directly across the street from the range. Personal test range likely, but always a possibility that us commoners could get out there and send it

I haven't found the right person to talk to yet to see what the actual deal with this is, but maybe you can get somewhere.

There is a (private, I think) range on the side of the highway right outside Bridgeport. The story I've been told is that it belongs to the rifle builder (dunno who this is....?) that also owns Big Daddy's Gun shop, directly across the street from the range. Personal test range likely, but always a possibility that us commoners could get out there and send it

I haven't found the right person to talk to yet to see what the actual deal with this is, but maybe you can get somewhere.
That would be cool!

That’s Lew Loyd. He sold Big Daddy’s a while back. I know he used to shoot on that range with some of the local guys he built rifles for. I don’t know if he is still building rifles or not, as he was getting pretty old. He also owned all of the fireworks businesses around that area.

Reactions: Clob McStrunk

I can’t believe there isn’t a 500+ yard range anywhere in this area. There are huge fields and hills everywhere. We have some family land that we shoot on. If we could get a few guys together we could clear out some areas to shoot out to around 800. The only issue is it’s really steep terrain that’s thick woods. We already have it cleared to 300 but that’s where the rough stuff starts. We have a tractor but it’s too steep. We would have to hike steel targets in and hang them up and leave them. Then we would have to hike in to paint them. I have a utv I just need a dozer for a weekend to clear a trail to the target area. If we had a trail cut in then it would be a cake walk.

CC46D8FC-BE7E-408B-B991-EEB8EE77CB79.png

I’m located in cullman, Alabama and I work in jasper, Alabama. Does anyone know of a decent rifle range within an hour?

Brock’s Gap in Hoover might be an option.

I can’t believe there isn’t a 500+ yard range anywhere in this area. There are huge fields and hills everywhere. We have some family land that we shoot on. If we could get a few guys together we could clear out some areas to shoot out to around 800. The only issue is it’s really steep terrain that’s thick woods. We already have it cleared to 300 but that’s where the rough stuff starts. We have a tractor but it’s too steep. We would have to hike steel targets in and hang them up and leave them. Then we would have to hike in to paint them. I have a utv I just need a dozer for a weekend to clear a trail to the target area. If we had a trail cut in then it would be a cake walk.
Brocks Gap is about the only option, but they only go to 500yds which is meh. It’s a nice range tho. Unfortunately, they are on their way to being shut down. The surrounding city has been after them to shut down for years, along with people that live around there trying their best to shut them down. Which doesn’t make a ton of sense since several police precincts do their training there. You’d think they’d want them to have a place to train. Anyways word is, coming from their secretary, that it’s sold and set to close, it just doesn’t have a definitive timeline. I also know a large developer has wanted that land for a long time and supposedly a developer is the one that has bought it and worked some stuff out with the city. Again, it just isn’t on a timeline yet. Supposedly, the range it looking for other property close by but I’m not sure how much weight I put in that. Sadly, they shut down the 720yd range a couple years ago. It was really the only range that had that kind of distance around. There is some private areas around the state, if you are in the know but they are private individual owned and as such you can’t just go whenever you want. Would be nice if there were more options for when I come to visit lol. Most guys I know are now looking at going to either TN or south AL. That’s a haul tho just to go shooting. There is also CMP, super nice but is expensive and only goes out to 600yds, there is Alabama Precision but it’s only open for comps, there is Rockford which is nice and actually has some distance but it’s a bit of a haul from Jasper Id imagine.

Last edited:
Brocks Gap is about the only option, but they only go to 500yds which is meh. It’s a nice range tho. Unfortunately, they are on their way to being shut down. The surrounding city has been after them to shut down for years, along with people that live around there trying their best to shut them down. Which doesn’t make a ton of sense since several police precincts do their training there. You’d think they’d want them to have a place to train. Anyways word is, coming from their secretary, that it’s sold and set to close, it just doesn’t have a definitive timeline. I also know a large developer has wanted that land for a long time and supposedly a developer is the one that has bought it and worked some stuff out with the city. Again, it just isn’t on a timeline yet. Supposedly, the range it looking for other property close by but I’m not sure how much weight I put in that. Sadly, they shut down the 720yd range a couple years ago. It was really the only range that had that kind of distance around. There is some private areas around the state, if you are in the know but they are private individual owned and as such you can’t just go whenever you want. Would be nice if there were more options for when I come to visit lol. Most guys I know are now looking at going to either TN or south AL. That’s a haul tho just to go shooting. There is also CMP, super nice but is expensive and only goes out to 600yds, there is Alabama Precision but it’s only open for comps, there is Rockford which is nice and actually has some distance but it’s a bit of a haul from Jasper Id imagine.
I'm a member at brocks gap , it is a nice place. Not sure about the whole "will be shut down" thing , though it's true that many around would like it to be.

The WMA is building a new range in Columbiana that will have some distance, but don't know when that will happen nor how much distance.

Rockford got shut down in a law suit. The owner finally gave up fighting it I believe. That was the only place I'm aware of that had some actual distance. You'd think we would be able to have a long distance range here as many shooters as we have, but it's getting very difficult to do apparently.

I'd be up for getting together and doing something if others are serious. I'm personally looking for land for myself to have a range on as well as build on later but that's not so easy to come by in any area where I want to be without spending just ridiculous money so, perhaps after the biden touch gets in full effect that will change? I probably won't be comfortable spending the money then though.....

Last edited:
I'm a member at brocka gap , it is a nice place. Not sure about the whole "will be shit down" thing , though it's true that many around would like it to be.

The WMA is building a new range in Columbiana that will have some distance, but don't know when that will happen nor how much distance.

Rockford got shut down in a law suit. The owner finally gave up fighting it I believe. That was the only place I'm aware of that had some actual distance. You'd think we would be able to have a long distance range here as many shooters as we have, but it's getting very difficult to do apparently.

I'd be up for getting together and doing something if others are serious. I'm personally looking for land for myself to have a range on as well as build on later but that's not so easy to come by in any area where I want to be without spending just ridiculous money so, perhaps after the biden touch gets in full effect that will change? I probably won't be comfortable spending the money then though.....
Yea I feel the same way! I would love to get a few people together and pitch in on building a place. No one wants to invest the money right now though with how crazy everything is. I don’t blame them one bit! It looks like my best bet is to just invest in my own private range on our family land.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Yea I feel the same way! I would love to get a few people together and pitch in on building a place. No one wants to invest the money right now though with how crazy everything is. I don’t blame them one bit! It looks like my best bet is to just invest in my own private range on our family land.
Yeah that's what I'm looking towards but it's kind of dumb to be spending money right now . If Trump was still there I'd have already done it. If we could get 10 guys together to do it, that would work

I was a member at Rockford since 2017. It closed down in September 2021. I truely took for granted what we had with RGC. It was an awesome place. Unfortunate the toll the lawsuit had on Robert & his family, but I am glad he finally has some closure to the situation.

I am currently a member of BGTC. They have been saying BGTC was going to close down since 2016. Honestly, the amount of crap and rumors you hear from people “in the know” at BGTC is ridiculous. It’s worse than high school. I don’t pay much attention to it anymore. I won’t speculate on the situation of them closing or moving.

There is talks of SCP opening back up in Brookwood this fall for competitions. Not sure where they stand as of right now. Down the road they would have capped membership.

Seems most of the good ranges are getting closed down. I’m not sure where to go or what to do. I’d be down with going in a little bit with some people but I’m not rich. I knew Rockford was in a suit but didn’t know it was shut down. Damn. One of the last good ones. As far as rumors for BGTC, you are right, been hearing it for a long time. But when the president and secretary, spend 45 minutes on the phone with me about it, I tend to think it’s pretty valid.

I used to own land outside of Huntsville, until the city ate it, lol.

Blue and Gray is nice. Rifle out to 200 and fishing at the dam.

Rarely see any poors out there stinking the place up.

Reactions: BCP
Im not sure about the distance from yu but from what i hear this is second only to the NRA Whittington Center and better in some areas.

hecmp.org › ranges › talladega-marksmanship-parkCMP Talladega Marksmanship Park

The CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park provides marksmen with a state-of-the-art facility where they can participate in the complete CMP experience, including firearm safety courses, clinics and a lineup of CMP Games and Match events. Plans were approved in March 2012 by the CMP Board of Directors.

@Maggot CMP Talladega is nice but it only goes to 600 yards and you can only shoot prone or from a bench. This range utilizes the kongsberg acoustic shot tracking system. They do have a new 600 yard range but it is seldom open.

@SilentStalkr I gotcha, seems like you have a reliable source. I like BGTC for the convenience and it is nice to have access to 515 yards, but it is not the most Long range friendly club. It has become more of a pistol club over the years; hence the shut down of the 700 yard range and turning it into pistol bays. I have enjoyed their new quarterly DMR matches.

I am holding out and seeing what happens with SCP, but would be open to going in on some land within an hour of Birmingham.

@Maggot CMP Talladega is nice but it only goes to 600 yards and you can only shoot prone or from a bench. This range utilizes the kongsberg acoustic shot tracking system. They do have a new 600 yard range but it is seldom open.

@SilentStalkr I gotcha, seems like you have a reliable source. I like BGTC for the convenience and it is nice to have access to 515 yards, but it is not the most Long range friendly club. It has become more of a pistol club over the years; hence the shut down of the 700 yard range and turning it into pistol bays. I have enjoyed their new quarterly DMR matches.

I am holding out and seeing what happens with SCP, but would be open to going in on some land within an hour of Birmingham.
I have been interested in the bgtc dmr matches as well. I tried to find info on it. What are the equipment rules and requirements? What do you need for a match? I would love to run my 308 gasser.

I have been interested in the bgtc dmr matches as well. I tried to find info on it. What are the equipment rules and requirements? What do you need for a match? I would love to run my 308 gasser.

All questions should be answered in the below link. If not DM me and I’ll be happy to answer

Someone fill me in. What is SPC?

Steel City Precision
I’m not familiar with them. Will have to check it out. And I’m not sure about my contacts with BGTC. I just know one was the President and one the treasury sec and they thought it important enough to tell me about it for 45 minutes one night lol. But who knows?

Im not sure about the distance from yu but from what i hear this is second only to the NRA Whittington Center and better in some areas.

hecmp.org › ranges › talladega-marksmanship-parkCMP Talladega Marksmanship Park

The CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park provides marksmen with a state-of-the-art facility where they can participate in the complete CMP experience, including firearm safety courses, clinics and a lineup of CMP Games and Match events. Plans were approved in March 2012 by the CMP Board of Directors.
Yeah it is very nice, but it's pretty pricey to go shoot there and I don't like the computer targets. They miss a lot and I've never been there and had a bullseye to shoot at. You have to pick a number and shoot at that or you are shooting as a hole. It's also a pain to haul your stuff down to shoot from where you have to park because you have to take the cart back before you can start shooting. Also talladega is a pretty good ride for me to go there.

Brocks Gap is better than CMP for me, and the difference is only 85 yards longer at BMP, and since you can't hang a target, it doesn't matter much anyway.

I don't know what the legal and insurance requirements would be for a range, I suspect that's a pretty significant factor though.... if we could get say 20 or 30 people together we might could seriously do something though???? I'm definitely up for pursuing it.

@BuildingConceptsllc I could reach out but I am 95% sure all they have / had was the land (financed) and range insurance through the NRA. They self insured everything else.

The infrastructure is pretty minimal. Parts of Rockford were rebuild a couple of times because of storms. Biggest pain would be maintaining the property; clearing fields / bush hogging, maintaining roads up, etc.

@BuildingConceptsllc I could reach out but I am 95% sure all they have / had was the land (financed) and range insurance through the NRA. They self insured everything else.

The infrastructure is pretty minimal. Parts of Rockford were rebuild a couple of times because of storms. Biggest pain would be maintaining the property; clearing fields / bush hogging, maintaining roads up, etc.
Well, it would be good if you know them to just pick their brain a little. Like for example, insurance like an umbrella and what that might cost through nra for say.... "if we are sued by an non member for nuisance or noise disturbance" like what happened to him. I think it's pretty safe to write up a hold harmless for all members to sign and that liability is pretty well covered with insurance. I have several policies for my company so I am a little familiar but not with particulars for a range.

As far as maintenance, I think we would just have to have a work day requirement for all members and if you don't do it , or choose not to , there is a monetary "buy out" that you can pay to not have to do it. Otherwise, if we do it twice a year or something and have good members who will do stuff themselves anyway, I don't think it would be too bad. There's going to be some good deals coming on bobcats in about 6 months or a year so, I will probably buy another one anyway honestly. That's all we would need

Im sure we know enough people here with tractors and access to things. I’m not worried about the work as much as I would be getting the land. It’s getting more expensive by the day.

Im sure we know enough people here with tractors and access to things. I’m not worried about the work as much as I would be getting the land. It’s getting more expensive by the day.
That will change soon enough , also, if it's land that isn't where people want to live, its a lot cheaper. There's some land options out toward Pinson that's reasonable and I'm sure elsewhere too.

How much land would we need?

Well, it would be good if you know them to just pick their brain a little. Like for example, insurance like an umbrella and what that might cost through nra for say.... "if we are sued by an non member for nuisance or noise disturbance" like what happened to him. I think it's pretty safe to write up a hold harmless for all members to sign and that liability is pretty well covered with insurance. I have several policies for my company so I am a little familiar but not with particulars for a range.

As far as maintenance, I think we would just have to have a work day requirement for all members and if you don't do it , or choose not to , there is a monetary "buy out" that you can pay to not have to do it. Otherwise, if we do it twice a year or something and have good members who will do stuff themselves anyway, I don't think it would be too bad. There's going to be some good deals coming on bobcats in about 6 months or a year so, I will probably buy another one anyway honestly. That's all we would need
I think think this is a tactic to get rid of ranges around the country as I here similar stories about ranges basically everywhere I got across the country. What’s messed up is when the ranges have been there way before there were cities and towns, then people move in and start this nonsense. Well you shouldn’t have moved there. It’s like going to a movie knowing full well what it’s about and then complaining about it when you get out. I’m pretty sure this is just a strategy. I’ve seen all kinds of shit. BGTC has had crazed people drive out onto the E range while we were shooting. Happened to me twice because they have a gate but they leave the damn thing open all the time. Apparently the the guy I stopped has tried it several times so he can sue the range and get it shut down. Now they at least have a guard. But yeah it’s a problem and it’s not one solely for ranges in Bama.

That will change soon enough , also, if it's land that isn't where people want to live, its a lot cheaper. There's some land options out toward Pinson that's reasonable and I'm sure elsewhere too.

How much land would we need?
I will have to do some research as there are rules of course. I’m surprised there isn’t a lot of land out there towards Jasper. Alabama Precision is out towards Carbon Hill. One would think there would be a lot of land out that way. That’s a haul tho for anyone in central AL.

I will have to do some research as there are rules of course. I’m surprised there isn’t a lot of land out there towards Jasper. Alabama Precision is out towards Carbon Hill. One would think there would be a lot of land out that way. That’s a haul tho for anyone in central AL.
Yeah I have built a few houses in dora and there's land out there but it's a little bit of a haul. Better than Jasper though, right off 22

I think think this is a tactic to get rid of ranges around the country as I here similar stories about ranges basically everywhere I got across the country. What’s messed up is when the ranges have been there way before there were cities and towns, then people move in and start this nonsense. Well you shouldn’t have moved there. It’s like going to a movie knowing full well what it’s about and then complaining about it when you get out. I’m pretty sure this is just a strategy. I’ve seen all kinds of shit. BGTC has had crazed people drive out onto the E range while we were shooting. Happened to me twice because they have a gate but they leave the damn thing open all the time. Apparently the the guy I stopped has tried it several times so he can sue the range and get it shut down. Now they at least have a guard. But yeah it’s a problem and it’s not one solely for ranges in Bama.
There's been a few times BGTC has been accused of a stray bullet when one was found somewhat near by, but it was literally impossible for it to have come from there. A 9mm bullet this latest time. It would have had to travel several miles, uphill and been shot in the opposite direction from any range there. If anyone knows anything about BGTC, they know how strict the directional and elevation of target rules are enforced.

Yeah it is very nice, but it's pretty pricey to go shoot there and I don't like the computer targets. They miss a lot and I've never been there and had a bullseye to shoot at. You have to pick a number and shoot at that or you are shooting as a hole. It's also a pain to haul your stuff down to shoot from where you have to park because you have to take the cart back before you can start shooting. Also talladega is a pretty good ride for me to go there.

Brocks Gap is better than CMP for me, and the difference is only 85 yards longer at BMP, and since you can't hang a target, it doesn't matter much anyway.

I don't know what the legal and insurance requirements would be for a range, I suspect that's a pretty significant factor though.... if we could get say 20 or 30 people together we might could seriously do something though???? I'm definitely up for pursuing it.
I have been wanting to do this for years. I have a tractor with front end loader, pallet forks and several rear attachments. A 3500 truck with big trailer. We also have a Kawasaki mule utv, chainsaws, power tools. I have access to free scrap 2x4’s. I have worked and lived in the cullman / jasper area my entire life. I have everything needed other than the land.

I really think it’s possible to pull off if we had some serious people that could figure out the land issue.

I have been wanting to do this for years. I have a tractor with front end loader, pallet forks and several rear attachments. A 3500 truck with big trailer. We also have a Kawasaki mule utv, chainsaws, power tools. I have access to free scrap 2x4’s. I have worked and lived in the cullman / jasper area my entire life. I have everything needed other than the land.

I really think it’s possible to pull off if we had some serious people that could figure out the land issue.
Yeah, I have a good bit of stuff myself since I'm a builder. I sold my bobcat a few years ago but if I find a good deal on one I might get another. A tractor could do it most likely but I can always borrow one as well as a mini ex from one of my guys or rent one. I have a good trailer with ramps and rescue saw, several chain saws and all construction tools we could possibly need. Of course I have plenty of access to scrap wood too.

We just need enough serious people and to agree on where the land would be. Jasper is a little far but there's some areas that are just south of dora where I'm pretty sure we could find the land and it would be a good location for all of us I think. With as many central-ish AL shooters as we have here, I would thinknit could be done. Then we would have a real distance range!

There's also the option of long term lease. I know some people in that area that might be able to help out in finding such land as well as would probably want to do it too. They shoot long range too and have a metal business.

Yeah, I have a good bit of stuff myself since I'm a builder. I sold my bobcat a few years ago but if I find a good deal on one I might get another. A tractor could do it most likely but I can always borrow one as well as a mini ex from one of my guys or rent one. I have a good trailer with ramps and rescue saw, several chain saws and all construction tools we could possibly need. Of course I have plenty of access to scrap wood too.

We just need enough serious people and to agree on where the land would be. Jasper is a little far but there's some areas that are just south of dora where I'm pretty sure we could find the land and it would be a good location for all of us I think. With as many central-ish AL shooters as we have here, I would thinknit could be done. Then we would have a real distance range!

There's also the option of long term lease. I know some people in that area that might be able to help out in finding such land as well as would probably want to do it too. They shoot long range too and have a metal business.
Yea there is plenty of land in the Dora area and I-22 makes it convenient for the entire central part of the state. There are a lot of old coal mines in that area that lease their land. I looked into leasing land for a small group private hunting club a few years back. It was very reasonable to lease then.

My family are the Blockers and McQuarreys in Cullman 🍻
Horta help em out 😎

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
Alabama Precision is in Carbon Hill, AL. Should be really close to Jasper. I THINK they only shoot PRS centerfire and rimfire matches and do not do memberships, but you could ask the main guy, Jim Saunders

Alabama Precision is in Carbon Hill, AL. Should be really close to Jasper. I THINK they only shoot PRS centerfire and rimfire matches and do not do memberships, but you could ask the main guy, Jim Saunders
The do not do memberships and only do matches. Jim will rent it out for weekend or during the week but it’s pricey.

My family are the Blockers and McQuarreys in Cullman 🍻
Horta help em out 😎
I’m in Boaz and my private range only goes to 300y. I have a neighbor with 800 acres who doesn’t mind me shooting on his property (he got outta cows a few year back), but haven’t had time to figure out a layout for a long range track. I did the Google Earth distance calc and it seems like we could mark off a 1500-yard stretch. We’d have to setup and breakdown targets and rests for each session.

Reactions: camotoe
I’m in Boaz and my private range only goes to 300y. I have a neighbor with 800 acres who doesn’t mind me shooting on his property (he got outta cows a few year back), but haven’t had time to figure out a layout for a long range track. I did the Google Earth distance calc and it seems like we could mark off a 1500-yard stretch. We’d have to setup and breakdown targets and rests for each session.
Just buy his place and build us a badass clubhouse on it.

Brock’s Gap in Hoover might be an option.
Steel City Precision
Some come to find out, I know a couple of these guys at Steel City. Havent talked to them in years tho. Will inquire about seeing if people can shoot there or not. Obviously it doesn’t seem like they are open to anything but training people and product dev but, I know 3 of these guys. Maybe I can work some magic.

Some come to find out, I know a couple of these guys at Steel City. Havent talked to them in years tho. Will inquire about seeing if people can shoot there or not. Obviously it doesn’t seem like they are open to anything but training people and product dev but, I know 3 of these guys. Maybe I can work some magic.
Man that would be awesome! I wouldn’t mind paying a daily fee.