• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Recommendations in the $2K'ish Range

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yet again, one of us "poors" is looking for advice. I'd appreciate any help if I can get it too.

Background: My use is for informal paper punching at 100 (about 10% of the time), and steel targets out to 900 at max, usually 750 and in (the other 90% of the time). I do not need extreme lowlight performance for hunting as I use a thermal for nighttime eradication. I will not be hunting with the rifle probably at all. I do not shoot PRS, benchrest, or F-Class...However I do enjoy shooting from different positions, as well as testing my individual skill levels at distance at reading wind etc... I do not need alpha glass. I am looking for durability, repeatability first, as it will go on quite a few SxS rides around the ranch. The rifle that this will be going on is an AI AT-X. Yes, I can hear some of you groaning right now that I am cutting myself $2K short of an acceptable starting point :LOL:. I've spent $5K on optics before, but those are tools with real uses. This is for fun, and I am always looking for a best 'bang for the buck'. I'd also like 30x up top for trying to wring out the load development.

Currently my best daytime optic is a Burris XTR III, 5.5-30, made in the US. That level of glass quality has not let me down in any situation that I've used it in. It has been extremely repeatable, and has not lost zero in the miles it has ridden shotgun across the seat of my SxS. If it weren't for the cheese grater knurling and ultra stiff adjustments, I'd really love that scope. I'm looking for just a bit of a step up.

I've found several options, but have zero time behind them. I know that many of you have multiple examples of each of these, so I'd love your opinions on why you like one more than the other:

Steiner T6Xi - I've been following the current thread quite a bit. The MSR2 reticle looks interesting, but to be honest I'm a fan of "less is more" in that I don't use christmas tree reticles or any other stadia in the glass. I dial elevation and hold wind. Not sure how much additional ranging stadia I need floating in there. I also like the locking diopter and elevation/windage turrets. I understand that this is also a CO made optic, which brings me into option #2.

Burris XTR Pro - If this is a step up as everyone says it is from the older US made XTR III, then I'd probably like it. I do like the ability to switch the elevation turret as my rifle will have several different barrels for it. The elevation turret looks "old fart" easy to read (I rarely shoot with my glasses on). I just get hung up on the red anodizing on the elevation turret that doesn't lock. Seems like I'm stuck with a lot more of a christmas tree in the reticle though. I'm guessing that glass between this and the Steiner are probably about as equal as it gets.

Zeiss LRP S3 - I've also been watching the current thread on this one a lot. Seems like it might have a few more people agreeing that the glass may edge out the other previous two options by just the slightest. I have recently worked with a new Conquest that my brother had me put on his 7mag. I actually like the glass in that...the plasticky turret though and almost proprietary torx bit for adjustment I hated. I know that the LRP S3 elevation turret sticks up higher than the others - also not a fan due to storage space in the safes. The reticle looks to be the best to my eye (subjective to us all) out of these three though. However, if I'm stuck having to remember to take tools out to the range to switch zeros between cartridges I'm less of a fan. This scope is the "balancing act" for me.

Vortex Razor HD Gen 3 - I know that this one is probably the most PRS ready. I also like the reticle from all the review videos. Vortex has a great warranty...but I've had to use it a couple times (older PSTs though...not same ballpark exactly), and I'm hesitant to get another product of theirs. I still have a PST II 1-6 on a woods rifle (actually fantastic for the money), the Fury 5000 binos, and a few other Vipers from years past. I have a hard time with the color, and the heft of the G3. Maybe I'm just being a pansy.

Any other recommendations that I'm missing out on? I know that the NX8 is in this price range, but I'm not overwhelmed because the durability of so many other manufacturers has improved so much than when Nightforce owned that segment of the market. Back then I really contemplated an NXS before I bought a USO...which was still my most expensive scope purchase. The USO was a Brea CA made unit, and worked great. A divorce caused it to be sold.

So what says the 'Hide? Do you have a preference out of the 4 that I've been looking at? Thanks for your time, I know that this was a lot to read.

pick the reticle/features and order from liberty optics

they're all the same. minus reticle or a few 'extra' features

It really looks like you're correct. You get multiple guys having favorites of each...hence my paralysis by analysis.

Razor Gen 3 is 1900 delivered through tonight with the 4th of July sale at Liberty... Lot of scope for the money and probably one of the best deals going right now, provided you're ok with the weight (and on an ATX you aren't exactly shaving ounces.)

I'll also recommend the XTR Pro; I was out using mine all day today and I really, really like it. It's also on sale through today at Liberty, but the Burris discount isn't as deep as the vortex discount.

One thing to consider... Since you mentioned using the one scope for multiple barrels and zeros I'd probably lean towards the razor as you can write down the numbers on the inner turret dials for each barrel/zero and quickly change the zero with a 2mm hex key. Loosen the 2mm screw, rotate the inner dial to the correct number for zero for that barrel, done. Pretty much zero chance of getting lost and having to shoot to rezero.

The XTR Pro has a toolless elevation zero, but occasionally the erector may click while rotating the inner turret to a new zero even with the locking lever on the inner elevation turret unlocked, and then you can lose your zero. Much harder to lose your position on the vortex g3 inner dials since they're graduated and you'll never need to go a full turn even changing barrels.

Reactions: diggler1833
    I've always bought my Vortex stuff (minus the Fury 5000) from Scott at LO.

Thanks gents, guess I'll go that route.

You say this about the T6Xi:
    "to be honest I'm a fan of "less is more" in that I don't use christmas tree reticles or any other stadia in the glass."

And then say this of the Vortex 7D christmas tree reticle:
    "I also like the reticle from all the review videos."

So what is it?

And the Zeiss S3 turrets are not "plasticky" and when you get the scope caps you have a torx with you at all time. Also they are not tall enough to cause storage issues in a safe.

Any of the scopes will work for you. I have owned and used all of them. Pick one you like and buy it.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    You say this about the T6Xi:
    "to be honest I'm a fan of "less is more" in that I don't use christmas tree reticles or any other stadia in the glass."

And then say this of the Vortex 7D christmas tree reticle:
    "I also like the reticle from all the review videos."

So what is it?

And the Zeiss S3 turrets are not "plasticky" and when you get the scope caps you have a torx with you at all time. Also they are not tall enough to cause storage issues in a safe.

Any of the scopes will work for you. I have owned and used all of them. Pick one you like and buy it.

The verticle subtensions don't bounce back and forth of the main crosshair like some other designs...that plays hell with my eye (maybe not yours, but mine). And for a tree, the dots used by Vortex in every 'through the scope' video are easier to ignore than the Tremor styles or hash marks. If it wasn't for the fact that I just like setting up steel at random distances and practicing wind calls and CBS, I'd probably be looking at more of a benchrest scope.

Every extra inch in a safe matters for me. Wife said "no" to a 4th safe in the house.

Razor Gen 3 is 1900 delivered through tonight with the 4th of July sale at Liberty... Lot of scope for the money and probably one of the best deals going right now, provided you're ok with the weight (and on an ATX you aren't exactly shaving ounces.)

I'll also recommend the XTR Pro; I was out using mine all day today and I really, really like it. It's also on sale through today at Liberty, but the Burris discount isn't as deep as the vortex discount.

One thing to consider... Since you mentioned using the one scope for multiple barrels and zeros I'd probably lean towards the razor as you can write down the numbers on the inner turret dials for each barrel/zero and quickly change the zero with a 2mm hex key. Loosen the 2mm screw, rotate the inner dial to the correct number for zero for that barrel, done. Pretty much zero chance of getting lost and having to shoot to rezero.

The XTR Pro has a toolless elevation zero, but occasionally the erector may click while rotating the inner turret to a new zero even with the locking lever on the inner elevation turret unlocked, and then you can lose your zero. Much harder to lose your position on the vortex g3 inner dials since they're graduated and you'll never need to go a full turn even changing barrels.

Thanks man, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate the comparison and experiences.

The verticle subtensions don't bounce back and forth of the main crosshair like some other designs...that plays hell with my eye (maybe not yours, but mine). And for a tree, the dots used by Vortex in every 'through the scope' video are easier to ignore than the Tremor styles or hash marks. If it wasn't for the fact that I just like setting up steel at random distances and practicing wind calls and CBS, I'd probably be looking at more of a benchrest scope.

Every extra inch in a safe matters for me. Wife said "no" to a 4th safe in the house.

Got to pick what works for your eyes. That said the Burris Pro numbers are not big on the dial. You have the ability to mark the dial to make it easier to see though.

And the Zeiss dial is not overly tall. It will fit as easily in the safe as any of the others.

Got to pick what works for your eyes. That said the Burris Pro numbers are not big on the dial. You have the ability to mark the dial to make it easier to see though.

And the Zeiss dial is not overly tall. It will fit as easily in the safe as any of the others.

I had my buddy's S&B out the other day. I liked a lot about it, but those indication lines were darn close together for my eyes.

I doubt I'd be able to see the XTR Pro race dial. 😄

Sometimes we just have to come to the conclusion that we're too old for a lot of stuff anymore. 22 years ago I spent the summer shooting service rifle matches out to 1K with open sights...now my vision is 20/50 and I wear bifocals.

I appreciate the help man.

Reactions: Rob01
    I had my buddy's S&B out the other day. I liked a lot about it, but those indication lines were darn close together for my eyes.

I doubt I'd be able to see the XTR Pro race dial. 😄

Sometimes we just have to come to the conclusion that we're too old for a lot of stuff anymore. 22 years ago I spent the summer shooting service rifle matches out to 1K with open sights...now my vision is 20/50 and I wear bifocals.

I appreciate the help man.

I can try and take a pic of the knobs next to each other for height tomorrow. Don’t have the Razor anymore but have the other three. Will also show numbers size. Have a pic of the Razor still though.

I wear bifocals also. Been wearing them for about 10 years but in my late 50s now. None of the above are hard for me to see. The Zeiss is the easiest.

delta stryker 5x50x56 34mm was 1500 and change .
    if the sightron looks like that at a mile the delta is twice as clear at the sightron + 20 mag

If I could I would replace all our scopes with those even the scopes for 22lr's that currently use sightrons s3's which are nice just not as clear

Last edited:
    I can try and take a pic of the knobs next to each other for height tomorrow. Don’t have the Razor anymore but have the other three. Will also show numbers size. Have a pic of the Razor still though.

I wear bifocals also. Been wearing them for about 10 years but in my late 50s now. None of the above are hard for me to see. The Zeiss is the easiest.
    Your making me want to try a Zeiss. I always liked their scopes.

Reactions: Rob01
    Get the Steiner T6 with the SCR2 reticle. If your able to get on EV, the price will make your happy. Very happy.

Yeah, I'm registered on several places with available discounts. EV, EO, and a couple of the manufacturers. It us the only reason why I added the Razor G3 option, otherwise I'd have that with a higher tier.

Honestly, I'll probably get one of several of my "choices" over the next few months...my eyesight is getting so poor that my old trusty Bushnell DMR IIs are starting to really show the CA bad to me.

^ They're still repeatable as heck, but I'm getting to the point where no matter how much I fiddle with the diopter and parallax, I'm still putting the crisp crosshair in the center of the fuzzy target.

delta stryker 5x50x56 34mm was 1500 and change .
    if the sightron looks like that at a mile the delta is twice as clear at the sightron + 20 mag

Now, I do have some experience with the Sightron stuff. I always liked the glass for the money...but if the Delta is that much better, might be worth looking into in the future.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
    Yet again, one of us "poors" is looking for advice. I'd appreciate any help if I can get it too.

Background: My use is for informal paper punching at 100 (about 10% of the time), and steel targets out to 900 at max, usually 750 and in (the other 90% of the time). I do not need extreme lowlight performance for hunting as I use a thermal for nighttime eradication. I will not be hunting with the rifle probably at all. I do not shoot PRS, benchrest, or F-Class...However I do enjoy shooting from different positions, as well as testing my individual skill levels at distance at reading wind etc... I do not need alpha glass. I am looking for durability, repeatability first, as it will go on quite a few SxS rides around the ranch. The rifle that this will be going on is an AI AT-X. Yes, I can hear some of you groaning right now that I am cutting myself $2K short of an acceptable starting point :LOL:. I've spent $5K on optics before, but those are tools with real uses. This is for fun, and I am always looking for a best 'bang for the buck'. I'd also like 30x up top for trying to wring out the load development.

Currently my best daytime optic is a Burris XTR III, 5.5-30, made in the US. That level of glass quality has not let me down in any situation that I've used it in. It has been extremely repeatable, and has not lost zero in the miles it has ridden shotgun across the seat of my SxS. If it weren't for the cheese grater knurling and ultra stiff adjustments, I'd really love that scope. I'm looking for just a bit of a step up.

I've found several options, but have zero time behind them. I know that many of you have multiple examples of each of these, so I'd love your opinions on why you like one more than the other:

Steiner T6Xi - I've been following the current thread quite a bit. The MSR2 reticle looks interesting, but to be honest I'm a fan of "less is more" in that I don't use christmas tree reticles or any other stadia in the glass. I dial elevation and hold wind. Not sure how much additional ranging stadia I need floating in there. I also like the locking diopter and elevation/windage turrets. I understand that this is also a CO made optic, which brings me into option #2.

Burris XTR Pro - If this is a step up as everyone says it is from the older US made XTR III, then I'd probably like it. I do like the ability to switch the elevation turret as my rifle will have several different barrels for it. The elevation turret looks "old fart" easy to read (I rarely shoot with my glasses on). I just get hung up on the red anodizing on the elevation turret that doesn't lock. Seems like I'm stuck with a lot more of a christmas tree in the reticle though. I'm guessing that glass between this and the Steiner are probably about as equal as it gets.

Zeiss LRP S3 - I've also been watching the current thread on this one a lot. Seems like it might have a few more people agreeing that the glass may edge out the other previous two options by just the slightest. I have recently worked with a new Conquest that my brother had me put on his 7mag. I actually like the glass in that...the plasticky turret though and almost proprietary torx bit for adjustment I hated. I know that the LRP S3 elevation turret sticks up higher than the others - also not a fan due to storage space in the safes. The reticle looks to be the best to my eye (subjective to us all) out of these three though. However, if I'm stuck having to remember to take tools out to the range to switch zeros between cartridges I'm less of a fan. This scope is the "balancing act" for me.

Vortex Razor HD Gen 3 - I know that this one is probably the most PRS ready. I also like the reticle from all the review videos. Vortex has a great warranty...but I've had to use it a couple times (older PSTs though...not same ballpark exactly), and I'm hesitant to get another product of theirs. I still have a PST II 1-6 on a woods rifle (actually fantastic for the money), the Fury 5000 binos, and a few other Vipers from years past. I have a hard time with the color, and the heft of the G3. Maybe I'm just being a pansy.

Any other recommendations that I'm missing out on? I know that the NX8 is in this price range, but I'm not overwhelmed because the durability of so many other manufacturers has improved so much than when Nightforce owned that segment of the market. Back then I really contemplated an NXS before I bought a USO...which was still my most expensive scope purchase. The USO was a Brea CA made unit, and worked great. A divorce caused it to be sold.

So what says the 'Hide? Do you have a preference out of the 4 that I've been looking at? Thanks for your time, I know that this was a lot to read.
    Zeiss LRP S3

Here’s a pic of the Steiner, Burris and Zeiss next to each other for your size reference of the knobs. I took a pic of the Burris knob next to the Zeiss so you can see a side by side also. I was holding the Zeiss in the top pic and it was a little higher than the others.

AC4F1BB5-E814-4B0E-88D5-67B207D2EA65.jpeg

7C3789E6-D74B-4FA2-A4AB-2CC98DB07FAE.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the Steiner, Burris and Zeiss next to each other for your size reference of the knobs. I took a pic of the Burris knob next to the Zeiss so you can see a side by side also. I was holding the Zeiss in the top pic and it was a little higher than the others.

View attachment 8176442
    View attachment 8176443

That is perfect Sir. Thank you. Yeah, those Zeiss turrets are much easier to read.

Reactions: FuhQ
    That is perfect Sir. Thank you. Yeah, those Zeiss turrets are much easier to read.

The non-racedial XTR Pro turret has larger numbers than the racedial, possibly even easier to read than the Zeiss.

The XTR Pro comes with both turrets in the box.

1688580407257.png

Last edited:
    Zeiss turrets have excellent readability from that photo !

Alot of guys shooting with Lasik or contacts, might want to take not of this.(y)

No kidding. Rob should probably do an 'old man' comparison video to help us geezers out. That race dial on the XTR Pro I'd just permanently write hunting dope on because there's no way I'd see the numbers. I had to do that with my Bushy LRTS. Damn sure couldn't see the black on bronze numbers in the first/last 30 minutes. Masking tape and a pen fixed that.

Checkout Tract Optics!

If he is worried about elevation knob height then Tract is not an option.

Yeah, those are a mile high. Went XTR Pro. Will probably try the S3 or T6Xi next...have a couple rifles that need glass now that my eyes aren't agreeing with my Bushnell DMRs anymore.

It'll take a while, but maybe someday be able to compare all of them together like you. 😄

Last edited:
    Reactions: FuhQ and Rob01
    I have the Burris XTR Pro w/ SCR2 on my centerfire and rimfire comp rifles. The more I use them the more I really like the SCR2 reticle and the other features of the scope itself. It’s a simple scope, easy to use, easy to zero, has the ability to dial -.4mil below zero (which I find handy for rimfire matches), and I’ve come to really appreciate the .2mil increments on the reticle for when it makes more sense to hold rather than dial or wind holds. I also like the 12 mils per rotation on the elevation turret for rimfire matches. One full crank and change gets me to 300 yds rather than my old scope with 6 mils/rotation.

I do have a MK Machine magnifier mounted on my scope so I can see the turret numbers but since this winter I’ve been using the race turret w/ a blue wet erase marker to mark my holds and I find that super fast and easy to see and dial even without my readers.

Plus there have been some good deals on the PX for used XTR Pros.

I’m jumping in for some advice. Currently have the NX8 4-32 with the Tremor 3 (which I really enjoy). I’ve been very intrigued by the XTR Pro with the Tremor 5 and am curious to see some input on comparing those two scopes? I haven’t got any hands on with the XTR Pro so any info in comparison to the NX8 would be appreciated.