• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for recommendations on a hunting scope

I will say it.
FFP scopes dont make the best hunting scopes. They can be used. I do on some rifles but in low light shooting they do give up performance to SFP scopes even when the little tiny reticles are illuminated. Everything is a compromise. You gain a little here, you give up a little there.

I have been over this a million times and there is definitely some trade offs of each I wish we didn't have to live with. Right now, I would say if you aren't going to use a FFP reticle that is the G2H or similar to the G2H in its purpose, then I think the better move is to go SFP with a lower maximum magnification of say 12x, zero your scope to a MPBR instead of 100y/m and know your holds at max power.

Have you looked at the LRTSi reticle? Not a drawing but a through the scope view of the reticle? For whatever reason, the Bushnell’s illuminated reticles tend to be a little bolder than their non illuminated counterparts, making the illuminated more visible in low light, even with the illum not turned on. But, if you do need the illumination, Bushnell did it right, with the lowest settings being just barely visible in low light so they don’t detract from target visibility. The LRTSi is definitely worth considering.

John
I have. I spent a fair amount of time with the Bushnell Elite line before the Vista buyout. I do think they changed from the G2 to G3 reticle in that time frame though so I will look again. The donut of the G2H reticle was always something that I thought was genius and I do wish more companies followed suit with something similar in purpose, if not in design.