• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for some advice.....optic for hunting rig

gearguywb

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2018
    Purchased a Seekins Havak in 300 that will be used strictly for hunting (elk, etc.). Looked at some of the NF scopes at Cabelas the other night. Disclaimer.....I have never owned a NF but would like to change that :)

Was checking out the SHV 4-14. I like that kind of power range for a longer range hunting rifle but I can not find much info about the differences in the NF line.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Just depends on your needs. 29 oz isnt too bad honestly. If you carry your rifle in a scabbard like most you won't even notice the difference in weight. The AMG will offer adjustable turrets that lock and very good low light capability, excellent resolution, and 24x max mag. The field of view is also great for 6x on the low end. Plus you have the vortex warranty for when your drop it on a rock haha.

I think the LRHSi is probably the best bang for the buck you'll find. The glass is quite impressive and it's a very well rounded hunting scope. Only gripe is no locking elevation turret. If you don't plan to dial and don't need a fancy reticle ever I'd look at a swaro or zeiss scope. If you give some more info on your use case it would be helpful.

1. Engagement distances
    2. low light need? Illuminated reticle?
    3. Capped or locking turrets required?
    4. Ballistic reticle needed?
    5. Carry distance? You mention carrying a rifle on your back. If you're hiking long distances you'd do much better with a pack or with a TAB biathalon sling. I have one I'm not using if you're interested.

Reactions: 260284
    For a second focal plane scope, the leupold vx5 and 6hd's seem to check almost all my boxes.
    Zero stop
    capped or locking windage
    decent reticle options
    illumination
    decently light

Leupold vx5hd Or 6 is what I’m looking at for my next hunting rig that may dial every once in awhile

My dad has the 4-15 SHV and it’s been fine. I’m not blown away by it. I have the shv 3-10x in my 6.8 ar and I like how tough it is but I had my Swarovski 2-10x42 and my SHV with me and had to get the Swarovski to shoot the hogs in the evening hours.

The NF SHV you looked at is the same I own. It is SFP and is my favorite scope of my bunch. It is a smidge oversized for a stalking rig but if you are hiking into an area to set up a blind or stand then you will not be disappointed at the added heft since the performance is pretty stellar for the price point.
    The Bushnell mentioned is also a super value for the money. Get your hands on as many different scopes that you can and see what looks/feels best for you. My eye is not as calibrated as the next guy and vice versa down the line.

The 4.5-18 LRHS is a great scope for the money, but its little brother 3-12 is much better to my eyes in low light. Never hunted with the SHV, it was on my short list for scopes around 1K, but decided to try the 4-16 P4xi

cabelas has their instint scopes on sale. these are made by meopta in case you didnt know. i looked them over a few days ago at the local store, and wow the glass is superb. i was looking at the 4.5 - 14. that one is 399. if thats the size range you are looking for, might be worth a look

Another vote for the LHRS 4.5-18. Excellent for the money. Got my for $750 and it is well worth it. Honestly think you would be hard pressed to find anything that competes under 1k. It’s in my Tikka 300 Win and it’s solid.

With that said the LHRSi is discontinued so you will have to find it second hand I believe.

I have a SHV and highly recommend it. It was very impressed with the light gathering capabilities. You can see better at dusk through the scope than you can with your eyes.

Last edited: