• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for Taser . . .

Limedust

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Looking for recommendations on a quality, powerful taser for personal use. My room-mate (female, not particular adverse to confrontation) works in a rather sketchy part of town and usually has to arrive very early in the morning. Hooked her up with a taser bought at a gunshow some time ago and thing has quit on her; won't charge and the light is the only thing that still works. I'm kicking myself now for that purchase. Looking for any suggestions about decent equipment, durable and reliable, that would disable the typical drunkard/crackhead/insano and allow her to at least get to safety.

She won't carry a handgun, so that's not an option at this point.

Any suggestions on brand and make would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You will need to be more specific as "Taser" is a brand not a thing.

Did you buy the actual civilian Taser brand electronic control device that is sold at places like academy or something like what you see in movies (small black box)

If it is the latter, look at the Taser International for civilian use. Similar to LE Taser but scaled back.

Not surprised that it stopped working, the things sold at the gunshow are garbage. Personally I would recommend a can of good pepper spray (OC) over the shitty gun show style stun gun bs you find out there. Even the better stuff made by Taser international is not something I would recommend for self defense over OC spray. Unless you get something that shoots the probes you're more likely to piss off the attacker than anything with one of those, they serve more as pain compliance when used in direct contact. OC spray will give you some time to get away.

Then again, I may be biased as I reach for pepper spray almost every time vs the taser. It has been very effective in my experience with it while the taser usually works, shit happens and it's not always effective.

Taser International made a version that is pretty much a one time use. You zap the bad guy and drop it as you run away. It is designed to give you a chance to get away. They will replace the unit for you with a copy of the police report. I am not sure if it is still available though.

Around here you can get the civilian ones and the police ones. Note the cartridges have taggants in them and when fired, it blows micro "confetti" with the serial number on it, which is tied to you. A guy here bought one to use in crimes and was caught almost immediately this way.

Anyway, the police version, the higher end and more expensive version, is bigger and uses replaceable cartridges including practices ones. I bet it would last longer, and though it costs more it's likely a safer and more reliable tool, and if she isn't gonna carry a handgun, well, why skimp?

For a "backup" I kinda like the little pepper gun that Kimber makes. Two shots but much higher power than a spray can. It can blow around glasses and googles and penetrate the skin by force. Pretty cool and not too expensive considering what you get.

We looked into stuff like this for my wife if she has to deal with crazies in her office. She opted to keep a small pepper spray on her at work with a bigger one close by (but she should use the Kimber). However, she carries a Smith 649 (?) SS snub shrouded hammer (not hammerless) .357 with the long CT grips and four speed loaders in a very nice Coronado Leather purse (which would accommodate a MUCH larger pistol if wanted). Nobody even knows she has it at work, not even her closest co-worker.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll definitely look into the pepper spray and do some real research on electric stun devices. The C2 looks promising.

I do not recommend a stun gun style device. The worst thing about them is the sound they make. We used to chase each other around the shop with the cheapies that say 100,000 volts or what not. Uncomfortable? sure, but they wont stop anyone. An actual taser is a much better device but it is important to understand its limitations.

OC spray is imo the best option and available on the cheap. the kimber pepper blaster mention before is one of the few kimber products i recommend

FYI, I do not recommend the Kimber Pepper ball blaster; I've seen them used and have been less than impressed. Hell, my brother and I both hate OC and he actually got popped with one by a suspect before he dowsed her in our department issued OC. Sure, it irritated him, but nothing like the good stuff does on us as we are both fair skinned.

I'd look into a TASER C2 or X26. I think they now sell the X26 to civilians. The X26 is great but very expensive. My only problem with OC spray is that half the time you end up catching it too and I've seen it not work on people. Get an ECD that shoots probes do not get a simple stun gun where you have to actually make contact although a TASER will shock someone by touching it to them if the probes miss.