• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for used barrels

z28kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Middle TN
I'm looking for spent barrels that I can use for playing on my new lathe.
I'm not looking for barrels that still have any value, just something I can get for a good price.
Let me know what you have and thank you.

When I got my first lathe I broke a lot of stuff learning. You can use PVC to learn with very little risk of hurting anything. It is cheap to go to a metal supply and buy metal by weight to practice with.

Sorry but I do not have any barrels for you.

Yeah, I have some conduit left over from wiring up the machines that I have played with.
I also have some unknown steel that I cut on yesterday and it was tough and gummy. I thought it was cold rolled but I think I was wrong, was super tough to tap too. Not at all like the stainless barrel I was cutting on.

Thanks for the reply, hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
303/304 is gummy. Gun barrels are typically 416 which machines a lot easier.

What tooling are you using? I mostly use tools with inserts but Harbor freight sells carbide tooling that is great for the money. I use them to make custom shaped tooling.

I have a Bartlien 6creed bbl for a Surgeon that was chambered by GAP that is toast. PM me if interested.

303/304 is gummy. Gun barrels are typically 416 which machines a lot easier.

What tooling are you using? I mostly use tools with inserts but Harbor freight sells carbide tooling that is great for the money. I use them to make custom shaped tooling.

I have cut on 300 series stainless before and it is a bear, but this tough stuff wasnt stainless tho.
All of my tooling is indexable carbide with the exception of my parting tool. I cut these 5/8-24 threads yesterday afternoon.

Thanks, TJ
20190526_142128.jpg

Reactions: Balor
Where you located? I’ve got several burned up barrels taking up shelf space