• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking to buy a AR-10 style tactical precession.

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
looking to buy a AR-10 style tactical precession platform, need help choosing, i want to use P-Mags, so i know i need a DPMS platform. do i just order a LRT-SASS, or is their other options?

Re: looking to buy a AR-10 style tactical precession.

The vast majority of .308 AR platforms use PMAG's. Bushmaster, DPMS, POF, LWRC, KAC, GAP etc. etc. beyond that it all comes down to your budget...

What is your budget? There are countless options ranging from 1-$3000+. Do you want something now or are you willing to wait? If you look around you'll find DPMS, LMT, REPR's, Knights, etc in stock. JP's and GAP's have a 3-5+ month build time but are about as accurate as they come. I have a JP LRP-07 and its far more accurate than I can shoot it. I know because I occasionally shoot it well accidentally. Most of the current AR10's on the market are as accurate as most would ever need.

2k-2.5k id like to get in to it. i thought about buying a DPMS sportical from wallmart, ordering gaspiston system, 20 inch barrel and carbon-fiber hand rail with a prs stock and selling the left-over parts. but open to options.

i realy wat a SASS or a OBR

the reason for this is because i cant find a system that i dont have to wait 4 months for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2k-2.5k id like to get in to it. i thought about buying a DPMS sportical from wallmart, ordering gaspiston system, 20 inch barrel and carbon-fiber hand rail with a prs stock and selling the left-over parts. but open to options.

the reason for this is because i cant find a system that i dont have to wait 4 months for. </div></div>

If you want a piston system the LWRC REPR is nice and would fit the budget. That is unless the 2-2.5k includes your scope. If so, get the DPMS 3G1. Comes standard with a JP Trigger and handguard for around 1700 I think.

no that does not include optics. i will be looking at all these items,

as to the sass. its 3 months wait time, no one in florida or Gorgia i called has one

Stripped lower

SASS upper

Buy an LPK, better trigger, and stock of your own choice. If you want a .308 piston rifle to begin, I think you'd be better off buying one like POF or LWRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call these guys in PA http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-6453-1...n-mags-308.aspx They may have one in stock, a bit cheaper than suggested retail. They can transfer them to FL or GA. </div></div>

its a armalite, cant use P-Mags. i have 5 of them i picked up at local gun shop. fella who bought them had a armalite ordered as well.

any one know some one make a good 1-10 twist barrel rifel length 20"?

I 2nd the JP. It is the finest I have ever shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call these guys in PA http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-6453-1...n-mags-308.aspx They may have one in stock, a bit cheaper than suggested retail. They can transfer them to FL or GA. </div></div>

its a armalite, cant use P-Mags. i have 5 of them i picked up at local gun shop. fella who bought them had a armalite ordered as well. </div></div>

If you read the link, it's the new series of Armalite AR10 that does use the SR25/DPMS pattern mags which includes PMAGS. Here's the link to the rifle on Armalites website. It actually ships with a PMAG http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...13-83959df8252d

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call these guys in PA http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-6453-1...n-mags-308.aspx They may have one in stock, a bit cheaper than suggested retail. They can transfer them to FL or GA. </div></div>

its a armalite, cant use P-Mags. i have 5 of them i picked up at local gun shop. fella who bought them had a armalite ordered as well. </div></div>

Why are you limiting your choices to platforms that take P-Mags? B/C you have 5ea P-mags? Makes no sense. If you get something else, sell your P-mags.

Many platforms accept P-mags but Armalite and Noveske are quality also and Armalite will fit nicely into your price range. I have Armalite, JP and LaRue large platform gas guns and all outshoot me.

When you get your rig you'll need many other things like bipod, optics, ammo etc etc etc. Don't limit your choices b/c you happen to have 5 P-mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call these guys in PA http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-6453-1...n-mags-308.aspx They may have one in stock, a bit cheaper than suggested retail. They can transfer them to FL or GA. </div></div>

If you read the link, it's the new series of Armalite AR10 that does use the SR25/DPMS pattern mags which includes PMAGS. Here's the link to the rifle on Armalites website. It actually ships with a PMAG http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...13-83959df8252d </div></div>

i did not see that., and to the pmag referance about limmiting my options, i agree, but my ar have pmags and i just want to keep it all the same. i mean if their was a way better shooter that any other and it didnt use pmags, but most if done correctly and trigger of good salt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Then pony up the money and wait for one or look around and find a deal on a new or used one they are out there. DPMS SASS isn't a bad rifle I had one just too heavy and the muzzle velocity was a bit lacking.

If you want to build one yourself there are tons of options. I have been thinking about

Mega upper + lower receiver set = 600
Brux or Rainier Ultramatch Barrel = 400-460
DPMS BCG (maybe with JP bolt) = 200-250
PRI handguard = 330

I have an A2 stock and geisselle trigger sitting here

BCP,

I have the exactly the rifle you just mentioned with the following exceptions:

1. DPMS upper+ Lower = $485
2. Bartlein Barrel = $550
3. DD 12" Lite rail = $324
4. Geissele trigger = $269
5. JP enhanced bolt + Young MFG BCG = $490
6. DPMS lower parts kit = $60

All other components i had on hand...then add about $50-$70 in shipping costs and another $150 in smithing fees and Voila...pics up soon.

Basically, I built an M110 clone for highpower service rifle competitions for about a third of KAC charges the Military.

Custom build

GAP10
LMT MWS
larue OBR
JP rifles

end of discussion

if you have to have gas piston then POF and LWRC aren't bad. but i would stick with the top 4. GAP 10 being first for precision

it would be so much easier if my bolt gun would sell, cant get the gun till that gone, i have a 2 of them 1 needs to go. the other just a ACC-sd in a chote stock but still shoots as good

Where would one go to source parts for a custom build? I want to build mine on a MATEN matched upper/lower ambi set, match barrel 18"-20", and a quality trigger. What are the pros/cons of the BCGs by manufacturer?

Ideally, this would be a gun I can use for precision shooting out to... let's say 700 yards, and could also use for wild boars (if I ever find any).

Precession: a change in the orientation of the rotational axis of a rotating body. It can be defined as a change in direction of the rotation axis in which the second Euler angle (nutation) is constant. In physics, there are two types of precession: torque-free and torque-induced.

The suggestions mentioned thus far may not be true Precession rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precession: a change in the orientation of the rotational axis of a rotating body. It can be defined as a change in direction of the rotation axis in which the second Euler angle (nutation) is constant. In physics, there are two types of precession: torque-free and torque-induced.

The suggestions mentioned thus far may not be true Precession rifles. </div></div>

laugh.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of where to buy the parts? Recommendations for store sites that have good prices or discounts available.

I've decided on a matched MATEN upper/lower ambi kit. Maybe a Bartlein or a Rainier Arms ultra match barrel, 20", a Geissele trigger from the group buy, and not quite sure yet what BCG to go with.

i got what you need Cowboy PM sent!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got what i needed, thax guys</div></div>

Nice! Congrats! But what did you ended up getting if you don't mind me asking?