• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking to buy a sidearm

MA66OT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Beaumont, Texas, USA
Hello Snipershide! Im looking to buy a pistol (.45), and I have been looking real hard at Taurus. I want a 1911 model for sure. Ive read some reviews on them and everyone of course have mixed feeling on the gun. Im looking at the Taurus 1911ALR and the Taurus 1911B-1, and the only real difference is the ALR has a forged aluminum frame and weights 33oz. while the B-1 is a steel/alloy frame and weights 39oz. Wondering whats the difference when shooting. This is my first ever pistol and i dont know which to get. Will they both hold up the same?

Re: Looking to buy a sidearm

I would suggest getting out and trying a few different pistols myself. What's important (one of many things) is how you can manipulate the handgun and how it holds in your hand. If you can't get a proper grip, trigger squeeze is affected and accuracy is as well. Have you shot both?

I actually haven't shot either. Ive held them and the grip and feel is the same except one is much lighter. I have shot a colt 1991A1 and i absolutely loved it. It was all carbon steel construction, I would go after one of those but there a bit out of my price range

The Taurus is a slopily built piece of crap. Get an STI Spartan if $600 +/- is what you intend to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Taurus is a slopily built piece of crap. Get an STI Spartan if $600 +/- is what you intend to spend. </div></div>

Damn it Downzero...we do agree on some things.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Taurus is a slopily built piece of crap. Get an STI Spartan if $600 +/- is what you intend to spend. </div></div>

I have owned numerous 1911's from the cheapest crap to the all mighty top end. All of them functioned properly every time, except for one of the high end. It had super tight fit and took some breaking in. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Most</span> of them, including the Taurus, had smooth movement of all parts. If I were going to own only one 1911, the Taurus would be a contender. An extended thumb safty with smooth movement is a must for me on a 1911 and it comes standard on the Taurus. The Taurus I used was a steel alloy and was built quite well. They are usually priced around $500, at least in my area. This is very good bang for the bucks.

Will you do this; get a savings account and only put money in it for your firearms, ammo, and other protection items that you chose. Save that money until it grows to a sizable amount that will cover the cost of the firearm that you can buy. If you want a great 1911 type 45 look into the Springfield 'PROFESSIONAL" model.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=144074

After all that research and money you spend on the 1911 type of pistol go look at the Glock 30 and shoot it.

I have owned and shot the 1911’s, HK’s, and SIG’s type of pistols for many years and enjoyed them all. One day I was given a Glock to shoot for the day and guess what I shot better with the Glock than any pistol I was issued or privately owned. The next day I went to the gun store and bought a Glock 30 with night sights and never picked up any other pistol since. You don’t know me or know anything about me but think about it.

I agree with Downzero that the STI Spartan is a much better 1911 clone than the Taurus. Please check out this website:

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

I would have an STI if I did not have a Nighthawk Predator though.
wink.gif
But you can never have enough pistols.

Great caliber.. as many have suggested.. go out to a good shop and pick up lots of them.. do it with your eyes closed and see what feels best w/o getting concerned about who makes it. Once you have a few makes/models go shoot them. That should weed out best sidearm for you. Don't narrow your search by price or make..you owe it to yourself to get what works for you.

Good luck!

PS.. get a Baer TRS!

From what I heard from a range that rents guns I would not get the Taurus. No facts, no explanation, just passing on what I was told. Good luck.

With your original question related to comparing the two weapons, of course the aluminum frame is about 6 ounces lighter. Lighter weight means easier to carry around all day long, especially if you're small framed, etc. The downside to aluminum framed 1911's is that "in general" they cannot take the use and especially abuse that a steel framed gun can. On the 1911 it usually shows up in the feedramp, which then will cause problems in bullet feeding or cracks in the frame near the slide stop pin hole (this also happens with steel frames.) There are aluminum alloys that have similar properties as steel but I have no idea what Taurus uses. Good luck with your first handgun!

Aluminum is not the metal you want a 1911 frame to be made out of. Don't skimp the metallurgy for the sake of saving 6 ounces of weight. How much do you think a fully loaded mag of 230gr .45 auto weighs?
That being said if you are considering a 1911 and are looking at Taurus, you should probably check out Springfield Armory first. Of course, I'd just stack up a couple hundred more and get a custom 1911 built to my preferences.

Wow thanks for all the advice. Ive decided based on whats been said that im going to go with the heavier steel framed gun. But now Im up in the air on what to buy. It looks like im going to have to spend a little more cash. Im just going to have to keep looking around and saving more on my money.

Unless you're set on a 1911, chances are you'll be much better served by a SigSauer P220 (most of which are aluminum-framed) or a Glock. The SigSauer wins on ergonomics, while the Glock will give you added rounds in the mag.

You get what you pay for with taurus. I would suggest you go STI or Springfield for the start

In 1911's I would recommend STI over Taurus. Springfields a good choice as well.... There are so many options on the 1911's. Save as much money as you can and purchase the best one you can afford. I would stay away from aluminum framed 1911 unless you wanted to carry one all the time and did not shoot it like one you compete with. For one of my carrys I own a Kimber Tactical in 5" with an aluminum frame. It is super light and is a pleasure to carry but I believe that it will not stand up to massive range use due to aluminum being a softer material. I do love mine for what it is though.......SmokeRolls

yes well I am pretty set on a 1911 so thats definitly what im going to get first. Spring field and STI are at the top of the list now

OK, this is totally off the wall but if you are new to handguns and somewhat focused on a budget the a 1911 is not what I would recommend.

For the money, buy a Glock and learn to shoot it well. For a .45 get a model 21, but it has a large grip. The best first pistol is a 9mm model 17. They are ugly but reliable, inexpensive but accurate, simple and available. If you don't liek it or dare say outgrow it, it will retain a high percentage of its value for resale. If you buy good used, it should retain all value.

I'll take a million hits for that, but go Glock, get some training, and proactice. An inexpensive 1911 will just fristrate you in the end and it won't retain resale value.

Just my humble opinion.

Don't rule out the Glock 30. You'll be surprised by its light recoil compared to other 1911's like the Taurus, or even a Colt Lightweight Commander.

In my opinion, if you're only going to own one handgun, the Glock is your best choice for cost, function and ease of use. And, all the better in a .45 ACP. Btw, you'd be surprised how many Spec Ops personnel are carrying Glocks in the field.

Springfield's are great. I've got a pair of them. The quality on mine has been top notch. I noticed that I had a cracked ejector pin and I contacted Springfield, they fixed it all up and while it was there I had it sent to the Custom Shop for a few enhancements. Came back even better than it was before.

If your considering a 1911 I can definitely recommend the Springfield. I've heard good things about STI too but I have no experience with them. For what it's worth, my Brother has the Taurus and while it's not as nice as my Springfield he likes it.

If you do go with the 1911 just make sure that you really get out and shoot with it. It's a great gun but I think it's also a gun that isn't the best choice if your not going to really get familiar with it. If you do, I'm not sure that there is a better option (I'm sure others will disagree with that though).

Good Luck
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpectrePilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, this is totally off the wall but if you are new to handguns and somewhat focused on a budget the a 1911 is not what I would recommend.

For the money, buy a Glock and learn to shoot it well. For a .45 get a model 21, but it has a large grip. The best first pistol is a 9mm model 17. They are ugly but reliable, inexpensive but accurate, simple and available. If you don't liek it or dare say outgrow it, it will retain a high percentage of its value for resale. If you buy good used, it should retain all value.

I'll take a million hits for that, but go Glock, get some training, and proactice. An inexpensive 1911 will just fristrate you in the end and it won't retain resale value.

Just my humble opinion. </div></div>

Great post, IMO.

Ya know here's an idea. I wish Glock would build a 1911 with the Glocks reliablity but the 1911's feel and trigger and accuracy (A match grade 1911 accuracy that is)..... That's food for thought. I have had many glocks in various models to many different calibers, I have shot my best score in a pistol competition with a Glock 34 9 mm.......But I just can't get past that feel.....I don't mean to piss off one side of the group over another...... Just stating my opinion. Yes the 1911 can have some drawbacks but once you get one to where it's cycling flawlessly and running long and hard even if dirty.....It's bliss. I am setting my sights on a Volkman (I think I spelled that right). LowLight was talking up his quite well and it sounds pretty sweet.

I have to hand it to Glock for having the most widely used pistol that has a great reputation of out of the box reliability ever!.......But can you tell the designers to do something about the way it feels......Good gosh it needs a John Browning make-over...........I'm not asking much...Hahaha...SmokeRolls

I would look at a Springfield or a Rock Island Armory. RI can be had for less than $400 for the milspec version.

I too have been accustomed to all levels of the 1911. I've had the Rock Island Armory (milspec) & the Norinco 1911A1, to the Springfields, all the way up to Kimbers and the Wilson Combat CQB. Though it was a decent gun, the Rock Island would not be my first choice for a budget 1911 as I have experienced plenty of malfunctions.

I recently (yesterday) acquired a Taurus 1911 AR (but in all steel version which they don't seem to advertise) for my brother. I must say I was EXTREMELY impressed with the feel, look and price of the Taurus. I'll be shooting it this weekend, but I have no doubts that this pistol will be a flawless performer, but I will relay my experiences after I shoot the gun. I've had several Taurus firearms in the past and have been nothing but impressed with the performance and quality. Taurus has one of the best warranties (fully transferable) on the market and they stand behind their products. Listen to everyone's opinion on various firearms but its best to mold your own from your own experiences. I plan to buy the same pistol for myself soon.

But with all that being said, GLOCK is still my pistol of choice for any and all situations.

i would go for the springfield or kimber those ar the best bets. springfield is a nice weapon i have had a few from the cheap 1911a1 GI model to the TRP i loved both. IMHO I WOULD GO WITH SPRINGFIELD YOU CAINT GO WRONG.

Spectrepiolet and Cartman have a very good point. I have 4 1911's all.45s love the guns love the cartridge, etc etc. However, when I wanted to get my son and son-in-law handguns, so we could shoot when they came to visit, I got them each a police trade in Glock 22. These guns are easy to learn to shoot, hell cops can even do it. My son has decided he likes the 1911 better and I traded him one of my 1911s, my son-in-law loves the Glock and has both now, one to shoot and one as a backup for matches.

As one new to handguns the Glock has a lot to offer, and although I got .40s I now believe that was a mistake. 9s are cheaper to feed and feeding them a lot will be necessarily to become a good shot. The .45 is a superior cartridge to the 9, but shooting your gun well is more important than the cartridge, now that there are excellent expanding rounds readily available for carry.

So a 9mm Glock, might as well be a used one, the damn things last for ever; never look great but don't look much worse for wear. Perhaps, you'll grow to love the handgun, by they you'll know what you want to live with, but to start with a good 9mm Glock has a lot to recommend it.

(I hope my son-in-law doesn't read this after all the shit I've given him about that ugly gun he shoots)

Colt!
When it comes to the original 1911, hard to beat a Colt. Pleanty of models to chose from ... Do some research on the 1911 fourms.. I have owned all kind of Handguns and to me, there is nothing better than the feel of a 1911 (Hipower close second) or a S&W wheelgun... The Glocks just dont fit my hands.
Do some research and get the best you can afford..
George of the Jungle

I would agree! Taurus equals shit!

I would also throw in Springfield,STI or if you can find a older Kimber Custom (not Custom II). All great guns.. STI seems to get great reviews and give a lot for the $$.