• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to downgrade trigger

mikeltee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
Fishers, IN
My buddy is in dire need of an AR. I have one i don't use that I am considering selling to him. Its a DPMS I paid $1000 for during the Obama scare. I upgraded to a freefloat handguard and stuck a Wilson drop in trigger in it. It runs great and is sub moa. Its got an A2 gas system so I will keep the ARMS buis on the rear too for him. Inthinknit originally had a handguard sight on it. I want to sell it to him for $1000 but want to take the WC trigger out. Whats a cheap option for me to replace it with? Are non drop-in triggers really that hard to install. I see some decent ones go for $40. Any suggestions??

My buddy is in dire need of an AR. I have one i don't use that I am considering selling to him. Its a DPMS I paid $1000 for during the Obama scare. I upgraded to a freefloat handguard and stuck a Wilson drop in trigger in it. It runs great and is sub moa. Its got an A2 gas system so I will keep the ARMS buis on the rear too for him. Inthinknit originally had a handguard sight on it. I want to sell it to him for $1000 but want to take the WC trigger out. Whats a cheap option for me to replace it with? Are non drop-in triggers really that hard to install. I see some decent ones go for $40. Any suggestions??
Any mil spec trigger will be fine. They are easy to install with a little practice.

Get the cheapest lower parts kit and use the trigger parts out of it. Keep the rest for spares. I haven’t looked lately but should be able to find a lpk for 40-50. Trigger is not that hard but watch a video if you don’t enjoy tinkering as you have to compress a spring while holding and pin it.

Reactions: lash
A cheapish and yet excellent choice is a LaRue MBT 2 stage. And no...they are not hard to install. But if you want to keep it $40 then maybe someone will send you a take-off Palmetto Enhanced trigger they swapped out.

I would recommend buying a LPK for the trigger. You get get one for $50-$60 and it’s always good to have the extra parts laying around. Installing the trigger is very easy. Just find a good tutorial on you tube and you can knock it out in about 5 mins.

larue is the best trigger on the mkt for perfomance and price
the best 'cheap' trigger is without question the AP at 28 on their website. as smooth as the ALG

Reactions: gnochi
I dropped this Schmid Tool trigger in one of my AR's and don't regret it, it's pretty dang good for $40.

Definitely better than the Stag Arms Milspec that it replaced. The Stag trigger had a nasty, gritty trigger pull that was about 6 1/2 lbs and the Schmid Tool was right at 5 1/2 lbs with a nice break. Not a glass rod type of break but more like a carrot break.

Sell it to him for $960 and let him replace the trigger...

Reactions: x2cross
Is there anyone on the planet with more than one AR that doesn't have a take off trigger in a parts bin somewhere? :unsure::cool:

The closest I've got to that is an MBT2S I haven't figured out what to do with yet.

Is there anyone on the planet with more than one AR that doesn't have a take off trigger in a parts bin somewhere? :unsure::cool:

I have one or two lol. Just sorted my spare parts and had a pile of take off trigger parts that I was unaware of.

Wait you said you stuck a Wilson trigger in yourself... Just curious, what was in there before? Can't you just swap it back?

Man, you could be a great friend and save him a few dollars.

I'm have a spare milspec trigger laying around. PM me if you want it.

As he is your buddy has he fired this rifle and will he notice the trigger suddenly turned to shit?

Let him pick what trigger to put in it, and see if he'll pay the difference for a better trigger. FYI, Optics Planet (I know, I know) has the Rise Armament drop-in trigger on sale for $119. I just ordered one and it supposedly is in stock and ships in 1-6 days.

I've never used a drop-in style trigger, traditional ones are not hard to install but require marginally more effort than a drop-in. Make sure the springs are in the right orientation, install should be <1 minute if you've done it a few times.