• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking to get into night hunting Need Recommendations

Wreck'Em Tech

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
I am looking at getting into night hunting in Central Texas, hunting hogs and coyotes within 200 hundred yards. I am hoping to stay under $2k, however if there are no reasonable options there, I can wait until I save up more.

This is the first time that I have started looking, so a complete newbie here. Pardon my ignorance if I'll be asking stupid questions.

Thanks in advance

I’m in the same boat but received good advice I’ll pass on. If you’re looking at thermal, might consider the Hogster R 25 or 35 to start, as it’s priced right for a 384x288 thermal scope and then when your finances are a little better, upgrade to a 640 thermal and use the Hogster as your scanner. Nothing is inexpensive about night hunting with good optics.

You will get some good advice on how to spend your money, enjoy.

I know one guy running a Hogster, and he likes it. Downside is that according to a mutual friend who is a pro-staffer, it is made in China with an (yet) unproven warranty...I'm just regurgitating info, so take it for what you paid for it.

Not sure what's up with FLIR, and I'm not really invested in them so I don't care enough to research it...but the PTS233 can be found for what you are willing to pay, and is good enough to get into the thermal game. If they are closing some of their commercial sales, you'd have to jump sooner than later...There is a thread about it in this sub-forum. Also in the same ballpark us the Pulsar RXQ30V...but as soon as you look at the next tier up you'll be wanting whatever that is.

Feature-rich and a bit more at $3,300 is the Pulsar Thermion. I'm in the thermal game on a budget too, and that is what I'd recommend.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Look around for a used or discounted FLIR 233 since some people are pissy FLIR is discontinuing civi sales. Some folks might be looking to offload them.
Good enough for the close ranges you want. Other wise save up for something else.
I’d take an entry level thermal over the gen 1 or 2 night vision stuff.
Gen 3 is the only way to go in regard to night vision IMO.

Check out Trijicon thermals and decide how far you want to take it.
If you have a wife and kids or a girlfriend the whole night hunting thing might not mix well money or time wise.
Nothing wrong with the old school cheap spotlight either for the time being.

I’d take an entry level thermal over the gen 1 or 2 night vision stuff.

Gen 3 is the only way to go in regard to night vision IMO.

Check out Trijicon thermals and decide how far you want to take it.

@niteshooter what would you consider an acceptable entry level thermal... as I have absolutely no experience or expertise with same.

I have a couple friends that are heavy into it, but I don't have the 4-8K they spent, to drop on something that will only be used sporadically. TIA

The saying "you get what you pay for" rings so true when it comes to Thermal.

Whether or not spending the money and it being worth it depends on how serious you are about the sport of night hunting... for me, it's about all I like to do anymore.

Started three years ago with a PVS-14 and an IR laser... works great under 100 yards but detection can suffer. Had a chance to view a thermal and never looked back.

Two years ago I bought a Pulsar Trail XP50 and was in heaven... for a while... until the unit started exhibiting problems holding zero. Fast forward two years and the thermal had to be sent back twice... I'm not alone, despite Pulsar's best effort, their products are simply not working.

Got a refund and forked up the extra for a Trijicon Hunter Mk III. Yes, expensive, but not really considering the costs of other sports.

If you want to hunt once in a while... the more affordable units might satisfy you, if you get bit by the night hunting bug... you're going to be wanting.

@niteshooter what would you consider an acceptable entry level thermal... as I have absolutely no experience or expertise with same.

I have a couple friends that are heavy into it, but I don't have the 4-8K they spent, to drop on something that will only be used sporadically. TIA
Hell if I know, ask somebody else that’s an expert. I mean that sincerely.
There’s so much new stuff out there to keep up with it all.
I look at friends new thermals when I can hunt with them. I got to many kids to feed.

Everybody wants thermal its the new thing. Some of us still rocking the night vision we bought years ago.

I started with night vision circa 2000 when my father was lent a m1a with pvs-2 starlight scope. I think my naked eyes could see better in a full moon than that thing.
He farms and we’ve always done feral hog control. So it wasn’t all just for a goof off hobby.
Then it was d-440 scopes, then d740-760. Raptors were Mil and Leo sale only in the Morovision days. The only thermal scope then was the morovision scorpion at $15k. Looked through one of those once. Same performance available today under 5k. Things have come along way.
I haven’t tried them all. Friends pulsar trail 50 was good. Halo LR very nice for the big fields we glass. FLIR scout things Ok, not spectacular.
It gets old always stopping the truck every time someone sees a hot spot in their cheaper thermal thinking it’s hogs only to pull out the the old gen 3 and see deer, calves, coons, pumpjack or whatever.
I’m talking big fields, 1/4 to 1/2 mile sometimes more.

Close brushy terrain different ballgame. I think the FLIR pts 233 is cool for a cheaper compact varmint calling ar15 set up where your calling them in close.
I’d like one but my gen 3 stuff gets it done also. Needs vs wants.
Sorry for the rambling reply and not really answering the question. It’s an expensive learning curve for sure.

I'm serious about night hunting...

That a really slick setup. You probably have a wine cellar and some cheese and crackers in their for a thoroughly enjoyable night out. Don't laugh. I have a friend that has a wine cellar and cooking facilities in a duck blind, albeit a really nice duck blind. He happened to own and share that duck blind with a pretty famous Chef.

... hogs and coyotes within 200 hundred yards. I am hoping to stay under $2k, ...

$2k not enuff for thermal. So go ahead and save up for $3k, then call around and say "I will buy today for $2,900" and you'll probably get some takers.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-pl76501q-trail-xq38-therml-scp.html

Shown price on OP is $3,300 but they often offer 10% discount coupon, so when you call them and offer $2,900, all you're really doing is asking for one of the 10% coupons.

Other dealers know all this, so will probably sell for the same price to get the sale.

==
p.s. the hogsters look interesting, but still waiting to hear more reports from field use.

Last edited: