• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking to move to NC, RTP area

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Wife and I have been talking about moving for a while, but with the recent stupid shit in CA (she's more pissed about the retroactive tax increases than the upcoming new bans) she's thinking we should move out timeline WAY up, to either this or next year.

I'm OK with Seattle and Austin, she's saying I need to seriously look at NC, specifically the RTP area. It looks like as long as we stay near RTP we'll be OK for work for both of us, but what's life like in that area?

We're wanting a few acres of land and a smaller house, wife wants chickens and goats, I want to be able to shoot my bow in my yard and not have to drive 4+ hours just to find a place to hunt small game. We know we'll lose the ability to just walk down the street for coffee/restaurants/etc but figure having to take care of the land will get us out of the house on a daily basis anyway.

I've lived in Oregon, Washington and Colorado, got my CCW at 21 but obviously haven't enjoyed that since moving back to CA in '99. Hoping the situation is better there but it's not been high on my research list so far, more concerned about jobs, taxes, housing.

Lots of CA people moved there and ruined it like they've done to this state?

We're headed out there in a few months for me to take a look around, will be checking out housing, traffic, availability of good food, what the people are like on the street, etc. Probably have to check the local gun ranges out too, just to be complete.
smile.gif

Re: Looking to move to NC, RTP area

Do it and don't look back. I live in Sanford which is about 50 minutes from RDU airport. I live in the country where I have a 2,300 square foot brick house built in the early 90's. I have 17 acres and all of my neighbors are friendly. I paid 293K for my house and land including closing costs. The food around Raleigh is amazing and the majority of people around here are just down right friendly.

The only time I ever get stuck in traffic is either when I go out of the state or if I am getting off Bragg or Lejeune at around 5. There are a lot of beautiful areas around here and it is a very pro gun state. Hell my Sheriff wrote a letter to the citizens of my city saying he is pro gun and the 2nd Amendment and he would not enforce any new gun laws in his city.

PM me if you have any specific questions. By the way my wife lived in CA since she was five and other than her family she doesn't miss the state one bit.

try chimney rock area, family owns a 13 bedroom cabin their on a mountain side, and you can put corn out and have 10+ deer 20 feet from your window the next morning, it's a tourist town, but its small town feel, and if you need to shop etc just drive to the next town over.

they have a grocery store, places to eat, a lake, hiking trails etc.

really nice place

NOw that Jesse Helms if gone NC has improved a lot.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOw that Jesse Helms if gone NC has improved a lot.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

And if you agree with this statement keep your ass out of Carolina!

NC ..wow.. why?

I can't agree all that much with Chuck after living in WNC for 2 years. Maybe out in the flatlands its better but from my experience.. forget NC.

Over crowded, Hippies and some interesting folks that aren't nearly as friendly to "foreigners" as you may think. Rifle ranges/clubs are pretty much all full and waiting lists for new members. Unless you have your own land forget about recreational shooting unless you are willing to pay and pay dearly.
There are much better states to grow roots in than NC if you want more favorable laws and recreational privileges.

You don't have to go that far easy to find elbow room and freedom.

I spent 2000-2010 in NC, the first five years in Durham. RTP is fantastic. Great cost of living, lots of things to do, and excellent from a gun owner's perspective. Durham and Chapel Hill are the places to be: CH is more Old South and Durham is edgier and more liberal. Nonetheless, this isn't California liberal so even the liberals tend to be more moderate than what you're used to.

First thing you do is establish residency, then go get your concealed carry permit. Once you've got your permit, the gun shops don't even call NICS for a background check because you've already had the class and gone through the background check system. Buy all the guns, mags, and ammo you want.

There's also a fairly strong competitive shooting community in NC as well, which you should tap into. I only got involved with the IDPA folks because I was still learning about 3 gun and tactical LR comps. Outside of the 3 winter months, you could be shooting competitively somewhere in the state damn near any weekend.

Oh, and you'll love the food.

The "hippies" and "liberals" thing is somewhat evident from reading your news papers, but I won't go into that as I don't want to get banned. Hopefully your liberals aren't nearly as crazy as ours.

I've spoken to several people within my company who are there and the response has been very positive. Those that have moved from CA out say they should have done it long ago and miss nothing about CA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NC ..wow.. why?</div></div>

cost/quality of living, availability of employment, weather isn't too horrible (I'm hoping anyway).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> some interesting folks that aren't nearly as friendly to "foreigners" as you may think. </div></div>

that needs some clarification...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle ranges/clubs are pretty much all full and waiting lists for new members. Unless you have your own land forget about recreational shooting unless you are willing to pay and pay dearly. </div></div>

No public ranges at all, or BLM land/forest service/whatever within 1-2 hours of the city? I can't imagine we have it better in the SF bay area with respect to places to shoot than anywhere else. We've got 3, 100 yard ranges, couple of pistol ranges, couple of clays/trap places and that's about it. You have to drive 3+ hours to find someplace outside a square range.

There are plenty of places to shoot. Off the top of my head, there's the Wake County range (indoor 1 to 100 meter), Personal Defense and Handgun (indoor pistol), Eagle One (indoor pistol), Camp Butner (outdoor 1000 for competitions only), and Range 37 (outdoor 1-100 meter). Those are just the public ranges that I can rattle off from memory. Also you can see here (http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/wts_subresults.asp) that there are a load of em within about 2 hours. Many are private, but you can filter through them to see what's out there.

If you move to NC and you are cool you can shoot with my crowd. We shot to 700 yards yesterday on a private range, also have multiple places to get out to 1000. We shoot atleast once a month as a group of about 6-8 guys.

Raleigh/RTP is a little less liberal than durham/chapel hill. As many have said, good food/entertainment and generally nice people

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sab9259</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you move to NC and you are cool you can shoot with my crowd.</div></div>

What's the coolness test?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot to 700 yards yesterday on a private range, also have multiple places to get out to 1000.</div></div>

Nice!

I've got many 1000s of 168gr loaded up so after 800 I'm useless. If only I had taken the RO class _before_ stocking up on ammo and components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We shoot atleast once a month as a group of about 6-8 guys. </div></div>

Sounds like I might be reloading more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raleigh/RTP is a little less liberal than durham/chapel hill. As many have said, good food/entertainment and generally nice people </div></div>

I'm going to have to see the liberalism first hand to see how bad it is but really, compared to here I doubt it's going to be shocking.

Haha Im sure you will pass the coolness test as long as you can take a joke and have a good time

PM Special Delivery here on the forum he lives in Garner (east of RTP)he can tell you about the triangle area. Dont let him fool ya, he sits a little left of center, if he didnt he'd still live in the boonies. Im a little further east out in the country so we dont have many libs

If youre not scared to drive and hour or so you can stretch a rifle out about as far as you want.

I grew up in NC, spent most of 19 years in AK thinking I wanted to come back. I was wrong, very wrong, its probably better than CA, I've been there but never lived.
I think there's one public range in the state, lots of indoor and short pay to play or membership ranges, just a few long 300+yds, if you get in with or have your own land you're set. Parks and national forests tend to be small and well traveled, no hunting/shooting in parks. The further East you get the less libs there seem to be.
The place is quite populated. The taxes are among the highest in the nation. The wages are not among the highest in the nation. Cost of living, well housing, varies across the state. Been to allot of eateries and restraunts including many with rave reviews that suck, however search long enough and you'll probably find one of a genre that's decent. Lots of history around if you're into that. Weather tends to be mild, it's a bit more humid over toward the triangle than it is in the triad though, late summer can be brutal.

It wouldnt be in my top 10 of states to live in, honestly.

I dont have plans to move. Pretty much all of my family is here, and I dont plan on leaving them.

There really arent any good places to shoot unless you own your own land. And the problem with that is, even if you do own your own land you better have plenty of it. Because there are alot of people in this state, and there are alot of soccer moms and fuddy people who dont like to see or hear guns.

Trust me, ive had the cops show up while shooting on private land out of city limits.

There are isolated areas in the state where land isnt expensive and people arent stacked on top of each other, but if you work in a city its hard to commute 2hrs a day. Most cities are populated and the suburban areas outside of the cities seem to go on forever.

Frankly, its hard to get away from people.

As far as politics goes, the state is really split. Look at the last election. We went blue in 08 and barely went red in 2012. But we just elected a conservative gov and things are changing.

Gas tax is high, unemployment is high, property tax is high, and it gets pretty hot in the summer. Im warm natured.

Is it better than CA? Yes. Is it the best choice? Id say no. I think SC, Ten, or GA is more shooter friendly.

If I could relocate my entire family, id probably pick Tex or OK.

As far as jesse helms goes:

"Helms opposed many progressive policies regarding race, such as busing, the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. He once referred to the University of North Carolina (UNC) as the "University of Negroes and Communists".

Helms called the Civil Rights Act of 1964 "the single most dangerous piece of legislation ever introduced in the Congress", and sponsored legislation to either extend it to the entire country or scrap it altogether. Helms reminded voters that he tried, with a 16-day filibuster, to stop the Senate from approving a federal holiday to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., although he had fewer reservations about establishing a North Carolina state holiday for King. He has been accused of being a segregationist by some political observers and scholars, such as USA Today's DeWayne Wickham who wrote that Helms "subtly carried the torch of white supremacy" from Ben Tillman.

In 1996 the Department of Justice admonished Helms's 1990 campaign for mailing 125,000 postcards to households in predominantly African-American precincts warning them (incorrectly) that they could go to jail if they had not updated their addresses on the electoral register since moving. Helms opposed "every piece of civil rights and affirmative action legislation" and blocked "black judges from being considered for the federal bench". In 1982, he voted against the extension of the Voting Rights Act.Helms opposed busing, supported the "racist apartheid regime of South Africa", and "for years blocked attempts by President Bill Clinton to appoint a Black judge on the Fourth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals". Only when Helms's own judicial choices were threatened with blocking did attorney Roger Gregory of Richmond, Virginia get confirmed. Helms also tried to block the nomination of Carol Moseley Braun, the first African-American female senator, as ambassador to New Zealand"

Looks like he was the typical blue dog, southern democrat. Pretty much our version of Robert Byrd (KKK member and recruiter). Kind of person that makes me ashamed to be from NC.

^^^^^^^The major difference between Helms and Byrd was that Byrd later changed his views and apologized for his past.

"But here is the challenge for those like me, who are incensed when reading about Byrd's bigoted past: he apparently changed - changed for the better and changed for the rest of his life. He publicly repudiated his Klan membership. He apologized for his views, talked about how he regretted his votes against Civil Rights legislation. He voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1968, he went on to receive a 100% rating on his voting record by the NAACP and a 67% rating by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).Gerald Britt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^^^^The major difference between Helms and Byrd was that Byrd later changed his views and apologized for his past.
</div></div>

Theyre all politicians, Byrd stayed in the democrat party. He couldnt continue to hold those views.
Nothing more than political evolution. Helms went to the republicans. And sadly enough, there are some in this state, more at that time, that agreed with Helms' views.

I refuse to believe that a person can change their mind on such a fundamental issue. If popular opinion changed, and people were taking rights away from blacks and trying to classify them as less than human I dont think I would be so easily converted. How can one think that white people are superior to other races and then just change their mind about it?

There look to be options when it comes to shooting, you just have to drive a bit or have understanding neighbors. I have to drive 3+ hours now to shoot so an hour is easy.

I've been talking to a lot of people in our office out there, and those that have moved from CA said they're loving it and would never move back.

There are definitely different camps of people, those in the $1M homes on tiny lots in gated communities, and those who wanted to get outside. One guy ended up with a small/normal house in the city and then a small farm he and his wife visit on weekends to do their gardening. That's more than I would want to deal with but it sounds like things are still possible for people of modest means.

Income tax is 7.75% vs the 10.3% we have here, and it looks like property taxes are half what we have, as well as being on lower property prices over all. Cost of living is 31% less outside of housing, and it says housing is 50% less but from what I've seen that's BS, it's even lower.

I'm hoping the libs aren't as advanced there as here, and as long as I can withstand the humidity we'll be OK. I've been to Austin many times in all seasons and I've been told their summer is worse than RTPs summer, so that's good news if true.

Just got back from RTP, a good first scouting trip. We'll have to go again to see what it's like in the summer per the original plan.

Didn't see any real deal breakers, although I was a bit bummed after talking to a local gun shop about the lack of public ranges. Sounds like if you wait 4-5 years you can get into a club and get access to things, but for regular folk it's hard to find a good place to shoot. Rifles sounded like more of a problem, nothing over 100 yards and not very common.

The "Durham County Wildlife Club" is right there in the middle of everything but it's mostly shotgun games which isn't a bad thing since I enjoy those as well. Lots of rules which can be either annoying or useful, depending on the people.

Bit of an update, the wife and I have decided to make the move even in advance of our next visit in July. There are too many positives that overwhelm the negatives and she is 100% ready to go. I can get some solar panels to run the AC all summer to deal with the humidity.

Now I'll be working on getting a transfer at work, that's going to set the schedule for the whole move.

Congrats on the upcoming move. I looked at your profile and noticed that your into motorcycles, may I suggest you start saving your pennies to get a weekend retreat in the mountains. We have twisties here that make Mulholland Dr. look like I-20, you'll love it. The peaks on the Appalachians may not be as big or as high as the Rockys but the roads around and on them are far better.

You may also want to start working on an affinity for sweet tea.

but the roads around and on them are far better.

I had thought about selling off my bike before the move (and sorta giving up on riding in general now that I can't commute on a bike any longer), but then realized I'll just have to get another one to ride the dragon and all the other roads I've heard about on that coast. New roads and places to explore.

You may also want to start working on an affinity for sweet tea.

Ugh. Tried it, it's like humming bird food. Can't say I'll ever be a fan.

NC ..wow.. why?

I can't agree all that much with Chuck after living in WNC for 2 years. Maybe out in the flatlands its better but from my experience.. forget NC.

Over crowded, Hippies and some interesting folks that aren't nearly as friendly to "foreigners" as you may think. Rifle ranges/clubs are pretty much all full and waiting lists for new members. Unless you have your own land forget about recreational shooting unless you are willing to pay and pay dearly.
There are much better states to grow roots in than NC if you want more favorable laws and recreational privileges.

You don't have to go that far easy to find elbow room and freedom.

Ah. You must have lived near Assville, I mean Asheville.

I had thought about selling off my bike before the move (and sorta giving up on riding in general now that I can't commute on a bike any longer), but then realized I'll just have to get another one to ride the dragon and all the other roads I've heard about on that coast. New roads and places to explore.

Ugh. Tried it, it's like humming bird food. Can't say I'll ever be a fan.

You can't get your NC merit badge unless you profess your love for sweet tea. Lots of places to ride around here, too. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and came to Bragg in 1986. Never had a desire to move back home after leaving the Army. Now, if I could just get my family to get the hell out of there....

Sent you a PM - I'd be happy to help show you around if needed.