• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loose / Sloppy Turret

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Damn turret on my Lyman keeps loosening up and caused me to have to re-resize 150 .308 cases because the shoulder wasnt set back far enough. Is there any reason I should not slather the big bolt that the turret rotates on in Loctite and cinch it down? Also what amount of up and down play is acceptable in the turret. Even when tight mine seems to have a lot of up and down movement. maybe 3/16". This press is a hand me down and has seen lots of use. Doe they wear out?

Re: Loose / Sloppy Turret

Sounds like yours may be worn. I've loaded many thousands on mine and it does not have the play you speak of. I would contact Lyman.

"..turret..keeps loosening up.. Is there any reason I should not slather the big bolt that the turret ..and cinch it down?"

No. But it makes a funny looking single stage press.

"..what amount of up and down play is acceptable in the turret."

That's sorta up to the user.

"Even when tight mine seems to have..movement. maybe 3/16".

A turret has to have some slop to move but that's really excessive. Wonder if it's assembled correctly? There should be no washer under the turret head.

"..press is a hand me down .. Doe they wear out?"

Everything wears out. I think you would do well to religate your old Lyman turret to handgun stuff, as I did mine, and get a new single stage for rifle.

The Lee Classic Cast is the best of it's type, at any cost, IMHO. Wish I had that instead of my RockChucker II. Lee's primer catcher system actually works. It's a bigger and stronger press too!

Dont forget the spindle on the back designed to adjust all the vertical slop out of the turret. Mine is adjusted so that there is less than the width of a sheet of paper between the spindle and the turret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont forget the spindle on the back designed to adjust all the vertical slop out of the turret. Mine is adjusted so that there is less than the width of a sheet of paper between the spindle and the turret. </div></div>

Mine doesnt have any spindle. on the back of the press, not on the turret, there is a post sticking up that the turret contacts if it rocks back far enough but there is some space between them at rest. I dont doubt its too much space.

I believe the <span style="font-style: italic">spindle</span> is what you call a <span style="font-style: italic">post</span>, and it should be adjustable. Redding's offering is a little nicer, if you should decide to replace the press. However, you should try to get some help from Lyman if you can. I've never had much luck with their customer service actually knowing anything, but I'm thinking they might tell you that you have non-Lyman parts or an earlier model, or some reason for yours not holding adjustment. A simple fix would be putting the currently provided bolt in place, but I have no idea that it is a solution.