• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loosing cheek weld with a sweaty face?

RMS65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
Ok I was shooting today and it was high eighties but a million percent humidity. The sweat dripping down my face made it nearly impossible to maintain cheek weld. My face would constantly slide off the plastic riser. So bad it left sweat dripping on the rifle. How do you contend with this?

I also use a small, thin cloth. I bring a few in my range bag, so I can rotate them, and let them dry out.

Reactions: RMS65
I bought some adhesive backed suede off Amazon and put it on my gun, works well down here in Texas.
They also make adhesive neoprene that is surprisingly strong (I have abused some a lot) and very cheap. Either of these soaks up that last tidge of recoil if you have a gun that's annoying to the cheek, and keep you from slipping.

Depending how you get into position, etc. not moving CAN be a bad thing. Try some reversible options first.

I like this one for those million percent humidity NC summers.

Ski mask or silk stalking (stocking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is your $2 solution. I have several of these in my kit. I buy the BMG one because its the largest and I can cut it to fit anything. They work great. Order $10 worth to make it worth your while and you will have enough for a long time.

@shoobe01 Can you share were to buy the adhesive neoprene? Ask around town and people don't know what it is?
https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Rub...teway&sprefix=adhesive+neopre,aps,170&sr=8-16

And the faux suede I use for holster padding mostly, but which would work here also if you prefer that feel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNBRGF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MANY other sizes, thicknesses, densities, etc. etc so search around. eBay is also awesome for strange little things like this as industrial suppliers often sell small amounts of stuff that is otherwise hard to get.

I like this one for those million percent humidity NC summers.

I don’t like those little stock pads because they make the cheek rest too wide and push my head further off center. Probably a non issue if the cheek piece itself adjusts laterally like some. If you do use those pads, buy some mole skin in the feet section of the pharmacy. It has a sticky back and can be laid over the stock pad. Easy and cheap to change out when it gets dirty and sweaty while leaving the stock pad unsoiled.

XLR sells pre cut cheek riser pieces. Not neoprene rubber though, closed cell foam..

I myself bought an entire roll off Amazon of Ebay and cut what I need. Lifetime supply for cheap. Have them on every rifle.

XLR sells pre cut cheek riser pieces. Not neoprene rubber though, closed cell foam..

I myself bought an entire roll off Amazon of Ebay and cut what I need. Lifetime supply for cheap. Have them on every rifle.

I like the XLR material better but the roll of sticky backed foam I recently got from amazon is perfectly functional.

Reactions: padom and shoobe01
On cheap hunting rifles and plastic stocks ( I know... huge shock that anyone here would admit to having any of those) I use two to three layers of cheap neoprene mouse pads with the fabric side out held on with carpet tape. Once I find how many layers it takes to get a good alignment and cheek weld, I cover all of the layers over with one of those crappy elastic shell holder butt stock things that Allen makes. I don't use the Velcro ones just the "sock" style. Very comfortable for long periods of looking through the scope, doesn't move around, and sweat doesn't cause any problems. Have to be careful when you cut the layers so they don't prevent the bolt from being removed. It costs about $8.00 and I haven't had any issues from the three that I've done, plus you can store 10 rounds on the side of the stock.

I have used athletic tape to combat this issue. I like athletic tape because it is thin and I can put it on and not have to worry about adjusting my chassis.

51lGMezvlSL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Hit this stuff with some tactical black krylon...should be gtg.

????

To fucking funny. After all it's 5x drier! Turns out I'm using a synthetic chamois sweat towel I bought for a gym membership I never used (and still paying for) At least something good came of it!

Reactions: Shifty6BR