• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing loosining a buggered hex screw that's glued?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I tried to loosen the sear adjust screw on my Rem. 700 vtr to adjust but, it had so much lock-tite on the threads I just managed to round the flats so I can't loosen it with the standard allen wrench. Of course, it had to be a small size 1/16". Anyone know of any methods of getting this thing loose? easy out maybe? I need to be able to re use the adjustment screw to re adjust the sear though as I'm sure I won't find a replacement screw that small. Any advice is sure welcome. Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: loosining a buggered hex screw that's glued?

Unless you use heat, you won't move them.

I would recommend replacing the x-mark with something better/more consistent.

An easy-out tends to flair out thin wall screws further locking them in place. You can grind off a little of the allen wrench to get a fresh section or if the screw is fubar, get a metric allen the next closer size and see if it will fit. Then heat the screw with a soldering iron, crack torch or soak the whole assy in a jar of acetone over night (providing there are no plastic parts in that trigger).

Another option is to solder the allen wrench into the screw socket.

I've tried several wrenches with no luck and also a soldering iron. I may take the trigger assembly out and try using my 100 watt soldering gun for more heat. I can get a wrench to grab some, and if the glue was melted I could probably turn the screw out and clean everything up good before reinstalling. Thanks!
smile.gif

TIG welder, someone that knows how to use it and a small nut. Works everytime all the time.

heat the screw with a soldering iron to melt the locktite, and put teflon tape between the screw and allen wrench. Works like a champ on my RC cars that I get overzealous and torque untill the screw nearly breaks

bash a bigger hex key into it

cut/bash/chisel a slot into it and then bang another head into it

weld something onto it and torque out

not a time for subtlety...

I just had the same issue. I used a less sutble approach. I put a cheap allen in that fit snug, took a hand torch and held it on the allen while it was in being i didn't have a soldering iron handy. Once i saw a little smoke coming from inside I knew the glue/loctite was smoked and it broke free with a different allen.

Sometimes whackin the handle of the screw driver works to break the seal a bit. Make sure it's well supported and the screwdriver bit is a tight fit and smack the head of the handle a few times very sharply with a ball peen hammer or something similar.

You could try 5 min epoxy and glue al allen wrench into the screw and after it dries see or you can lossen the screw.

Brer Rabbit

It's an X-Mark, don't waste your time if that allen screw head is stripped out. Takes lots of heat to break it loose. At this point the trigger isn't worth it.

Chaulk it up to a never ending learning curve. You know you really wanted to replace it anyways.

try putting valve lapping compound on the allen wrench.The grit will give you extra bite on the screw then use the heat from a soldering iron.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used a torx bit many times on allens that have been rounded over. </div></div>

This.

-matt